Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Respray advice

Options
  • 03-01-2020 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

So I've bought an old aluminium frame and fork to try my first respray job. On sanding the frame down to the bare aluminium, I've noticed a few very small dents or indentations in the frame. To respray over these will be a mistake as I'm sure ithey will still be visible. Just asking has anyone ever done this themselves before, and is there an aluminium type filler that I could use to cover up the imperfections before painting begins.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Muckers wrote: »
    So I've bought an old aluminium frame and fork to try my first respray job. On sanding the frame down to the bare aluminium, I've noticed a few very small dents or indentations in the frame. To respray over these will be a mistake as I'm sure ithey will still be visible. Just asking has anyone ever done this themselves before, and is there an aluminium type filler that I could use to cover up the imperfections before painting begins.

Tge same stuff bodyshops use?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

I've used isopon body filler (as used by most professional auto bodyshops) to fill pitting, marks etc on frames that were too deep for high-build primer to fill, with good results.

A normal sized tub as used by your local panelbeaters is about 30-odd quid from a motor factors, but from memory, halfords do a small quantity kit (for small jobs) for around 10-12 quid.

Hope this helps.
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Go to a coatings shop and have them sand blast it and primer coat with filler primer or you could pick up rattle can and give it a go. I'd definitely recommend sand blasting though you'll never get the frame completely clean with sand paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

Forget rattle can. It will never get hard enough.

Either get someone to do a proper 2k spray job or get it powder coated

hesker wrote: »

If there's fine detail on the frame you'd like to keep it's probably best to avoid powder coat. I've built up a few different frames and finishes over the years and powder coat is great for solid colours on simple lines but not on fancy lugs etc. Some amazing paint guys out there but you pay for the quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

Thanks for all the replies. I got a small tin of Isopon as suggested, so I will give that a go. I dont want to get a 2k spray job done as this is a winter project. I got an unreal paint job on another bike last year ftom Unlimited Colors in Holland. So this is the cheaper option😂😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

hesker wrote: »

I sprayed a steel frame with hammerite. It took a long time to cure but it came out perfect in the end, only mess up was a small bit of dripping on the chainstay where I overdid it- was the first time I ever sprayed anything. I wouldn't rule out spraying it with a can.

Powder coated is preferable though, but more expensive.

Most of my resprays are rattlecans, either off the shelf or custom mixed colours.

With a decent bit of prep and patience, good results can be achieved.

Plenty of pics of bikes I've done on my Instagram page @paul.carroll.8valve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

https://spray.bike/collections

This stuff gets great reviews and its not too expensive. It's like powdercoat in a spray can and will not run.

https://spray.bike/collections

This stuff gets great reviews and its not too expensive. It's like powdercoat in a spray can and will not run.

Yep that's the stuff I bought. Delivered ftom London. I've resprayed the bars and fork so far. Easy product to use but it will run if you over do it. I've learned to do several light coats rather than 1 or 2 sprayed liberally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Thanks for all the replies. I got a small tin of Isopon as suggested, so I will give that a go. I dont want to get a 2k spray job done as this is a winter project. I got an unreal paint job on another bike last year ftom Unlimited Colors in Holland. So this is the cheaper option����

Tallaght Powercoating will do the frame for about 100 euro. You could always add decals and clear coat after that yourself.

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Tallaght Powercoating will do the frame for about 100 euro. You could always add decals and clear coat after that yourself.

Quigs. A full bike respray in choice of colours for €100? ??????????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Tallaght did my hardtail for 100 euro 10 years ago (sandblasted and powder coated).

Excellent and really tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Thats right. Check out their website.

And obviously includes sandblasting

That's a typical price, my local place blasts ans powder coats a frame for €80-90 depending on who you get. It was a lesson learned after spending many hours with a mixture of nitromors and sand paper. Also the choice of colours with powder coat is very good but typically block colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Thats right. Check out their website.

Great price, sanded and sprayed a few over the years myself and would gladly pay that amount in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

You could easily spend close to €100 on rattle can paint, primer, lacquer etc and still get a half assed job (like mine...). Sounds a good deal to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Thinking of using spray.bike for a carbon mtb frame. Powder coating or any heat treatment isn't an option for me.

Anyone tried it?

Also read that there's no need to strip paint back to carbon, just rough up existing paint to catch the primer.

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Thinking of using spray.bike for a carbon mtb frame. Powder coating or any heat treatment isn't an option for me.

Anyone tried it?

Also read that there's no need to strip paint back to carbon, just rough up existing paint to catch the primer.

Leaving the original paint (keyed to help primer take to it) is always a good option. It's well bonded to the frame material and makes an excellent base-coat. Just keep sanding till you have a smooth finish and then apply new primer and paint.

Have yet to try out the spray.bike range but have seen a lot of good results achieved with it, so I plan to use it for a couple of custom projects this coming year.

If you check their website, I think they have a couple of stockists in Dublin.

8valve wrote: »
    Leaving the original paint (keyed to help primer take to it) is always a good option. It's well bonded to the frame material and makes an excellent base-coat. Just keep sanding till you have a smooth finish and then apply new primer and paint.

Have yet to try out the spray.bike range but have seen a lot of good results achieved with it, so I plan to use it for a couple of custom projects this coming year.

If you check their website, I think they have a couple of stockists in Dublin.

Didn't know that, must look those stockists up. Thanks

• Advertisement

Ordering spray bike stuff today. I've 2 weeks off work in March so going to make a little project of it. Will keep you posted.

Advertisement