Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby waking an hour after going asleep

Options
  • 03-01-2020 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Our 4 month old baby is doing ok in terms of sleeping. One problem we have noticed is that when we put her down about 8 that she generally wakes within about an hour and has to be rocked back to sleep or go to sleep on my boob. Then she generally goes back to sleep until 3/4 am when she wakes for a feed. I was just wondering wondering if anyone has any idea of why she would wake during this first hour nearly every night? Another thing is that she also needs to be rocked or boobed to sleep every night - if anyone has any recommendations of how we can get out of this habit it would be appreciated. During the day she has no problem sleeping in the Buggy or car or when we are out and about. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

At 4 months, sleeping that stretch until 4am is a God send! I wouldn't worry too much about getting up after an hour. Could just be from digesting or getting through the light sleep stage.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Ah the 4 month sleep regression. Sounds like it's going pretty smoothly for ye. From what I remember, ours was pretty bad, up every 2 hours IIRC. That said, our little one has never slept great. 17 months now and lucky to get 4 hours before she's up and pretty much demanding to sleep in the bed with us.... my wife really.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Sarah1916 wrote: »
    Our 4 month old baby is doing ok in terms of sleeping. One problem we have noticed is that when we put her down about 8 that she generally wakes within about an hour and has to be rocked back to sleep or go to sleep on my boob. Then she generally goes back to sleep until 3/4 am when she wakes for a feed. I was just wondering wondering if anyone has any idea of why she would wake during this first hour nearly every night? Another thing is that she also needs to be rocked or boobed to sleep every night - if anyone has any recommendations of how we can get out of this habit it would be appreciated. During the day she has no problem sleeping in the Buggy or car or when we are out and about. Thanks in advance.

That’s all normal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Totally normal, all mine went through that phase, waking 45 mins to an hour after going to bed.Just keep doing what you are doing and she will grow out of it.She is progressing into deep sleep in that time, and we sleep in roughly 45 min cycles, so that is most likely all that is happening.

As to rocking to sleep, babies suck for comfort and survical.It is an inbuilt mechanism, they come out of the womb with it.That is her learned way to fall asleep for now, where she is comfortable and relaxed. She is still tiny, I mean it is really up to yourself how you want to approach things.You could start using a soother,you could try getting her into the habit of settling herself in the cot, ie, (going down awake but sleepy)but you would have to sit with her while she does,maybe hold her hand or something so she knows you are there.She is very small yet, so I wouldn't expect much and anything you try should be very gentle, will take time and should involve you staying close to her.If you are happy to keep going as is, then there is no reason to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Wompa1 wrote: »
    At 4 months, sleeping that stretch until 4am is a God send! I wouldn't worry too much about getting up after an hour. Could just be from digesting or getting through the light sleep stage.

Same! Ours wakes 4 times per night. At 4 months she was waking once. Can't wait for a full nights sleep again some time soon.

I am not a proponent of crying it out, but don't react immediately when the child cries. At least give it a few minutes, sometimes they can soothe themselves. Also, do you put the child down asleep? Try to start putting it down when he/she is just about asleep, but not fully. Over time, then try to put them down awake and soothe themselves.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement