Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia bushfires

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

flazio wrote: »
    I see a lot of posts about a lot of people donating money to the firefighting efforts.
    I can't help but think that they might as well load that money onto a plane and dump it on top of the fire for all the good it will do at this stage. What Australia needs is more firefighting equipment and firefighters from other territories.
    Very true Flazio. Every day I wake up there's another few million after being raised. Throwing money at it unfortunately wont work. It's not a third world country anyway. Oz is not short of cash. There are more experts flying out from th U.S and Canada today or tommorow however the Canadians admitted that the Aussies are probably more equipped to deal with these type of fire conditions than they are but I suppose it cant hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Fires like this have been happening for thousands and thousands of years. The climate change alarmism really has people on edge. I think it's even good for the Bush, a natural clean out and rebirth. Obviously not pretty for the animals and humans.

aido79 wrote: »
    Is that you Scott?
    Scott Morrison is getting hammered and rightly so but nobody is mentioning the state governments. Fighting fires is a state issue first and foremost. The premiers should be held accountable also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

US2 wrote: »
    Fires like this have been happening for thousands and thousands of years. The climate change alarmism really has people on edge. I think it's even good for the Bush, a natural clean out and rebirth. Obviously not pretty for the animals and humans.

I also understand what tends to happen is that natural fires are suppressed for the purposes of protecting infrastructure & property etc. This allows for additional growth and a build up of combustible scrub and trees, so that when bigger fires do eventually take hold, the impact is much worse.

Black Thursday 1851, twice the size of these current fires and all burnt in one or two days. Climate change wasnt an issue then. I'm not a denier but this has nothing to do with it. Just a heatwave and also a few idiots and arsonists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Scott Morrison is getting hammered and rightly so but nobody is mentioning the state governments. Fighting fires is a state issue first and foremost. The premiers should be held accountable also.

I don't think you understood what I was getting at. Scott Morrison probably has more faith in God putting the fires out than the fire fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

. Just a heatwave and also a few idiots and arsonists.

A heatwave containing the hottest day ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Black Thursday 1851, twice the size of these current fires and all burnt in one or two days. Climate change wasnt an issue then. I'm not a denier but this has nothing to do with it. Just a heatwave and also a few idiots and arsonists.
    You have a source for twice the size?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

silverharp wrote: »

Theres always some arson element to these fires as they give arsonists cover to light them when there are already big ones burning in the area. A mate in NSW is a copper and was telling me a few years back that if they suspect arson they have two main groups as primary suspects- teenagers and firefighters themselves. Apparently some firefighters have a love of fire and dont just want to put them out, they get a kick from lighting them too.

Heres one from just a few weeks ago but it goes on all the time
    A volunteer firefighter in Australia has been charged with deliberately lighting blazes during the nation's bushfire crisis.
    Police arrested the man, 19, for seven counts of alleged arson in an area south of Sydney, New South Wales (NSW).
    The fire service there described the alleged acts as the "ultimate betrayal" to crews already under immense strain.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-50568026

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

From viewing clips on the news you can see how much Australians value their trees for shade around their homes, which makes perfect sense when you have their weather/temperatures. But as soon as those fires are in your area well.im.sorry but an hour with a chainsaw would have all.those trees down.

You have a source for twice the size?

Just checked again, much more than twice the size actually in hectares

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was reading that near Adelaide in SA around 25,000 hectares of prime agricultural land has been burnt to a crisp. Not the biggest area (some others burnt out are over 500,000 hectares) but about a third of the local wine industry has been taken out which is huge in a state that produces a lot of wine. iirc vines take years to grow before they start producing grapes so it is a huge set back for the vinyards of south Australia.

Also reading reports that farmers are running out of bullets to put down their farm animals who are suffering badly with the heat.

A heatwave containing the hottest day ever.

What point are you making? He isn't denying climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,985 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Discodog wrote: »

There will have to be big changes in allowing regrowth in inhabited areas.

Might be more effect to have changes to where habitation is allowed.

It was 50.7c in Australia in 1960..

You hear alot of these highest ever recorded temperatures when in fact they're not. Look at Ireland in 2018 all media saying we recorded our hottest ever day when in fact we didnt.

aido79 wrote: »
    I don't think you understood what I was getting at. Scott Morrison probably has more faith in God putting the fires out than the fire fighters.
    Fair enough I wasn't directing that post at you specifically (don't know why I quoted to be honest) it was more of a general point. There's a lot more than Scott Morisson to blame even though he has handled it poorly. Sometimes these things just can't be contained and nobody is to blame.

An error in judgement going on holidays but blaming the man for any of it is just plain stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It was 50.7c in Australia in 1960..

You hear alot of these highest ever recorded temperatures when in fact they're not. Look at Ireland in 2018 all media saying we recorded our hottest ever day when in fact we didnt.

I'm pretty sure they had the hottest Australian day ever very recently

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

mandrake04 wrote: »
    As bad as this is it’s purely the scale of human and property loss this is a disaster, when it comes to fauna and indigenous animals it’s it can recover... it’s actually beneficial Australia would be worse off without fire. Fire produces regeneration and diversity.

I took this picture today just off the PAC Hwy North of Yamba NSW this burned last month, I stopped of here about 6 months ago and you couldn’t see never mind walk through the bush as you can see the trees are burned but they have evolved to tolerate fire and will survive to be burned many times again. From an animal point of view a lot of animals have been lost but when the area regenerates the wildlife will backfill more quickly as the ground bush is more accessible this ensures diversity in the gene pool. This has been going on for 1000’s of years, bushfires used to happen ore frequently as Black fella would manage the land, as I said earlier in this thread some of the areas burned back in 2013 and before that 2002/2003 yet they burned again and will in the future.

Fires like this have been happening since before Black Fella set foot on this land, plants don’t evolve to weather fire in just 50,000 years.

Will there not be a lot of animals pushed to the point of being endangered in Australia? I under where you are coming from saying this happened throughout time but the difference is human use of energy and complete wastage of resources has caused the earth to heat up far quicker than it should.

I genuinely feel that this is the future if we don’t drastically change how much waste and energy we use. There will be climate refugees instead of war in years to come. People need to stop and wasting....I think people think that as long as they are not using plastic they think it is ok but wasting paper is also extremely bad for environment as it needs so much energy to be be recycled.

I’m not saying people need to live without paper etc but we need to stop wasting resources, look at the amount of food we waste. Some people I know have been to developing countries and are shocked at the amount of rubbish etc they see. In my opinion the only difference is we have the facilities to remove our rubbish through waste disposal. I feel mass consumerism in developed countries is a huge factor. It’s very sad to see, I hope they can control it soon. Must be terrifying being there.

• Advertisement

Pretty sure it wasnt higher than 50.7 which is the hottest ever recorded in Australia? I've seen all the news saying it broke the record a couple of times the last week, but none higher than 50.7

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Pretty sure it wasnt higher than 50.7 which is the hottest ever recorded in Australia? I've seen all the news saying it broke the record a couple of times the last week, but none higher than 50.7

Overall temperature on the whole continent was the hottest ever recorded last week. You are talking about a single temperature in one place.

Overall temperature on the whole continent was the hottest ever recorded last week. You are talking about a single temperature in one place.

An there you go. Media will always use different ways to make it record breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Just checked again, much more than twice the size actually in hectares

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Very true Flazio. Every day I wake up there's another few million after being raised. Throwing money at it unfortunately wont work. It's not a third world country anyway. Oz is not short of cash. There are more experts flying out from th U.S and Canada today or tommorow however the Canadians admitted that the Aussies are probably more equipped to deal with these type of fire conditions than they are but I suppose it cant hurt.

The rebuilding & accommodation for the thousands without homes will cost a fortune. It was good to see the trucks full of donated animal feed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

This time the fires are fought against, think about the size they would reach now if it was like 1851 with no modern firefighting to push them back whatsoever. This time there are areas burning that never burned before as having dried out over the years they are no longer protected by natural humidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Very sorry to witness this awful thing.

But I am ashamed to say that I could not have named the Australian PM prior to this.

Is it an isolationist thing or what? I do realise that they do not have Direct Provision, well it is outsourced to Papua or something, and they can be quite racist.

Let them sort themselves out. FGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/extreme/records/national.pdf

• Advertisement

An there you go. Media will always use different ways to make it record breaking.

Climate change is a hoax, the world is flat & vaccines cause autism. Am I doing this right?

Advertisement