Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US take out Suleimani - mod warning in OP

Options
  • 03-01-2020 3:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

The US have killed Qassim Suleimani in an airstrike in Iraq. Suleimani is Iran's top official in the area, and this is a huge escalation in the US Iran conflict.

https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/1212902693221650439?s=19

Mod warning 03/01/20
    Beasty wrote: »
    Just a reminder to everyone - keep to the topic, and do not discuss other posters. If you have a problem with a post or poster report it and leave the modding to the mods

Comments

big escalation

first responses from iran say it will mean war, remains to be seen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

A pretty major escalation which could lead to dire consequences. What is going on in this world?

A pretty major escalation which could lead to dire consequences. What is going on in this world?

same as always did.

war for resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

same as always did.

war for resources.

Regardless of resource allocation in times of increasing scarcity, few beyond the standard war hawks could imagine this bodes well for the US and its allies, or Iran and its allies. It's just a downward spiral for both interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

nothing like an airstirke when they're trying to impeach you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I actually clicked into this thread desperately hoping some old tweets from Trump would be here rather than posts about what happened in Iran. Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

That is some escalation by the USA. The General was probably only second to the Ayatollah in terms of power in Iran.

I would have said he was off limits before this. Will be interesting to see how both Iraq and Hezbollah in Lebanon respond to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I think America made a mistake doing that, a lot of lives will be lost when Iran or it's proxy's take revenge for it. His forces played a big part in the defeat of Isis in Iraq . I doubt the Iranians will take that lying down. Anyway there's an election this year and ya know how " patriotic " Americans get when it comes to war. Maybe Trump's hoping they retaliate, so he can show how tough he is like he did during his bone spur days in Vietnam .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You make it sound like he was a good guy, the Iraqui's are seemingly dancing in the street and I'd bet a few Iranians are as well. Poor old Nancy and Schiff look completely irrelevant now crying he didn't tell them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

You make it sound like he was a good guy, the Iraqui's are seemingly dancing in the street and I'd bet a few Iranians are as well. Poor old Nancy and Schiff look completely irrelevant now crying he didn't tell them again.

Do you actually believe Iraqis flocked to the street to dance at the news of an American drone strike?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭Cody montana

That is your spin on this dire situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Time to fill up the heating oil tank I think.

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Do you actually believe Iraqis flocked to the street to dance at the news of an American drone strike?

It was a helicopter attached his vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

It was a helicopter attached [sic] his vehicle.

Oh, it was a chopper... well that changes everything... Apache gunship attacks are probably far more welcome in Baghdad than drone attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭circadian

Have you got evidence to back this up? Not to mention that Iraqis are dancing in the streets?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Makes sense..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

This has been ****e news to wake up to. Not only is this a major escalation between 2 of the biggest forces involved in the middle east, but the US president has effectively assassinated a guy and potentially started a giant war without congressional approval.

This is going to be a clusterfcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What's the justification for murdering this guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

lawred2 wrote: »

Murder + Escalation = War President + Re-Election.

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »

Killing an American contractor at the weekend and trashing the American embassy didn't help things, all done with this guy's blessing. Iran want control of Iraq, the need the Americans out to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Iran is a much different animal than anything the yanks have fought in decades. They are a formidable enemy and not to be confused with the likes of Iraq or Syria.

America will stand alone in this one as Trump has made enemies out if allies with all the tariff stuff over the past few years and I cant see the British getting involved with the whole Brexit thing. The last thing they need is a war.

Very worrying times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Something like this?

Aero-India-2019-Indian-army-helicopter-lifts-a-jeep.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,662 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    Iran is a much different animal than anything the yanks have fought in decades. They are a formidable enemy and not to be confused with the likes of Iraq or Syria.

America will stand alone in this one as Trump has made enemies out if allies with all the tariff stuff over the past few years and I cant see the British getting involved with the whole Brexit thing. The last thing they need is a war.

Very worrying times ahead.

Other than the price of oil rocketing, how is this going to affect us in Ireland?
    I'm guessing not at all.

Plus, how are Iran going to have a war with the US? Its not like they can have a land battle, so surely sponsoring terrorist attacks on US targets is all they can do?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭Cody montana

titan18 wrote: »
    This has been ****e news to wake up to. Not only is this a major escalation between 2 of the biggest forces involved in the middle east, but the US president has effectively assassinated a guy and potentially started a giant war without congressional approval.

This is going to be a clusterfcuk.

Dreadful start to the decade.

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    America will stand alone in this one as Trump has made enemies out if allies with all the tariff stuff over the past few years and I cant see the British getting involved with the whole Brexit thing.

He has the British by the balls, they want a trade deal they'll have to get behind him. Russia is no fan of Islam and it also has interests in Iraq. It won't be sold as going to war with Iran, they'll merely be protecting Iraq.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

You make it sound like he was a good guy, the Iraqui's are seemingly dancing in the street

If you look closely, you can spot those elusive WMDs too. USA USA!

If you had of just left the man alone we probably wouldn't be here, still want to impeach him this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Trump desperately trying to deflect from his impeachment trial looks like he is dragging the US into another quagmire in the Middle East.

None of his kids will die because of it but a lot of Americans sons and daughters in their armed forces have been put in danger. The Iranians won't take this sitting down.

What a stupid move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Great start for the oil companies probably.

Advertisement