Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US take out Suleimani - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So Iran sent 20 + missiles to blow up a few canvas tents in what Iranian media claims was a precision strike ,

I'd imagine one of the American helicopters sitting in the open cost a hell of a lot more ,

If that's winning to a few on here were really in a bad place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

charlie14 wrote: »
    Indeed

The mask slips.

Snap :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Indeed

The mask slips.
    It works just as well as cash or gold... any will do.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Gatling wrote: »
    So Iran sent 20 + missiles to blow up a few canvas tents in what Iranian media claims was a precision strike ,

I'd imagine one of the American helicopters sitting in the open cost a hell of a lot more ,

Silly statement.

They aimed at the bases, they hit the bases. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Yurt! wrote: »
    Yeah, yeah, American boogeyman hungry for oil. Most people got over their Chomsky-lite view of the world when they got hair on their chin.

You don't care about people executed for 'political crimes' or dissidents murdered in mainland Europe because you don't have to think about it. Iranians do. Before this all kicked off, a couple of weeks ago I happened to be speaking to an Iranian gent who has lived in Europe since the early 80s (not by choice I might add). I'd love for him to have a word with you so you can flesh out your simplistic view of the world.

You can keep salivating over the the latest misdeeds of the Great Satan. It will keep all your mates in the student union entertained I'm sure.

It's not just for oil. It's to keep the cogs of the US war machine oiled and funded while the elite profit from the deals being done with newly installed puppet leaders and the military industrial complex while justifying ever increasing military budget spending while your education and healthcare suffer the consequences.

Nobody with a functioning brain is buying the US world police line anymore. You don't give a **** about the treatment of Iranian citizens. This is 100% about US/Israeli/Saudi strategic interests and there's lot's of money to be made from war.

Tell me why your close buddies the Saudis don't get the same treatment who really aren't any different to Iran in terms of the treatment of it's citizens.

Unlike you I know a lot about actual US history. Not the propaganda they teach you in school. It's dark and dirty and nothing to be proud of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

mulbot wrote: »
    Not at all. Iran said it would retaliate, they wrre threatened on the world stage by the US thst they would be hit "very hard, and very fast" and did that scare them off, no no,. Their response as they said would be measured and it was,. America has made a fool of itself once again here, Iran for the win

Iran for the win?

How so? They launched a few rockets, hit a few hangers. We know for sure that no Americans died, and we don't even know if anyone died at all.

While the top Iranian General was assassinated...

Iran could have done more damage but chickened out of it. Last night was all about saving face. Everyone can then go home 'happy' and count the cost., which is higher for Iran.*

That is not even mentioning the likelihood they shot down a passenger jet by mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭mulbot

Is it not more the principle of retaliation-numerous times the US said, and displayed on all media that if Iran attacked any American bases or troops, they would be hit very hard, very fast. They attacked the base, whatever the targets were, who knows, the point is the called the bluff. Guess what, they didn't get hit hard and fast with any shiny brand new equipment.

notobtuse wrote: »
    It works just as well as cash or gold... any will do.

A back pedal too late I`m afraid.
    Seems like Trump in Syria you two are in agreement.

It`s all about the oil.
    Who would ever have guessed.;)

A back pedal too late I`m afraid.
    Seems like Trump in Syria you two are in agreement.

It`s all about the oil.
    Who would ever have guessed.;)
    No back pedal... FACT!

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Oil will do.

And the mask slips.

• Advertisement

mulbot wrote: »
    Is it not more the principle of retaliation-numerous times the US said, and displayed on all media that if Iran attacked any American bases or troops, they would be hit very hard, very fast. They attacked the base, whatever the targets were, who knows, the point is the called the bluff. Guess what, they didn't get hit hard and fast with any shiny brand new equipment.

Trump said if they retaliated by any means he would aswell, I'm thinking he actually sat down and considered the consequences of going to war with Iran after last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

16 reported by the Pentagon. 20+ now known to be inaccurate.

Someone who does this for a living wrote up an article.

Beyond that, Iran choosing targets based on the likelihood that the strikes would cause minimal casualties or to achieve other specific effects would indicate that the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps has confidence in the performance and accuracy of its extensive missile arsenal. Judging by the imagery, they have good reason to be.

We already knew the latest short-range ballistic missile systems from Iran were quite accurate, but the pinpoint targeting of key aviation facilities is very telling. At the same time, it was stated that 14 weapons were fired at Al Assad, three of which failed, but we still only have spotted less than half the impact areas at this time. It is also possible that Iran assigned multiple missiles at each target for better effects and redundancy.

It remains unknown what types of missiles Iran employed, but Iraqi authorities have recovered parts of what strongly appear to be Qiam short-range ballistic missiles. There are still reports that variants or derivatives of the Fateh-110 series were employed, as well.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/31769/satellite-images-show-the-aftermath-of-irans-missile-strikes-on-al-assad-air-base-in-iraq

pablo128 wrote: »
    And the mask slips.
    You do realize the US is energy independent, don't you? I don't know how much cash or gold Iraq has, if any, but oil can be converted into them quite easily.

No back pedal... FACT!

That it`s all about the oil.

I never disputed that FACT.

They aimed at the bases, they hit the bases. Simple as.

But wait what happened to all the Cheering this morning about a base being reduced to rubble ,

All we got was excuses oh they intentionally didn't target anything while the scraping off eggs of faces continued most of the day .

And the shooting down of a civilian airliner

You do realize the US is energy independent, don't you? I don't know how much cash or gold Iraq has, if any, but oil can be converted into them quite easily.

Probably best to go with oil.

Big shiny war machine do not burn gold and the more you mess around in the middle east the less oil you will get for your buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,592 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

But wait what happened to all the Cheering this morning about a base being reduced to rubble ,

All we got was excuses oh they intentionally didn't target anything while the scraping off eggs of faces continued most of the day .

And the ALLEGED shooting down of a civilian airliner

Fixed that for you

What was the civilian airliner shot down with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭mulbot

We'll be told it was Putin with a catapult and some here will believe it

Fixed that for you

Didn't need fixing shot down an airliner

• Advertisement

Didn't need fixing shot down an airliner

Were you on recon in Iran again?

Iranian missile roughly at the same time the 20+ missile were launched ,
    4 + disappeared and didn't turn up in Iraq ,3 year old 737 impeccable service history and experienced crew no emergency declarations or may days just suddenly exploded mid air ,
    Iran's experts claimed it was technical fault , then a single engine fire all which was debunked by civil aviation industry experts

But I'd half expect a poster or two to blame America some how

Iranian missile ,

But I'd half expect a poster or two to blame America some how

Any idea of the type of missile?

The Destruction is depend on the explosive payload and how many missiles they fire at the base. You use lines out of context and was thinking is Iran seeking to take out the base when i heard the fired a second salvo of missiles ( i thought they went all in) If they went all in large part of the base would be blown up. We have no clue what the Iranian aim was here till it was over. I expected a limited response, but the news coming in seemed like a bigger event. Gatling you just use your own version of the truth to get your point across. We have no idea truly did Iranians go out of their way to avoid hitting bunkers and shelters? 

Get over it.

They hit what the aimed at and despite all the wonderful gadgets you kept telling us about, none got intercepted.

That would be the civilian airliner that you have the indisputable evidence that presumably because we do not have high enough security clearance you cannot show us that it was shot down I presume ?

The very same airliner that from your aviation expertise the flight recorders should have been immediately handed over to Boeing perhaps ?

The Destruction is depend on the explosive payload and how many missiles they fire at the base.

Iran said tens of missiles then it was dozens in three waves ,you thought hundreds ,
    You claimed Iran this and Iran that we got a few canvas tents damaged , and a 737 shot down
    Then we got back tracking and roundabouts from the same posters claiming they intentionally missed and you say I'm taking something out of context ,

No point chasing tails.

Get over it.

They hit what the aimed at and despite all the wonderful gadgets you kept telling us about, none got intercepted.

That would be the civilian airliner that you have the indisputable evidence that presumably because we do not have high enough security clearance you cannot show us that it was shot down I presume ?

The very same airliner that from your aviation expertise the flight recorders should have been immediately handed over to Boeing perhaps ?

Just a week ago he said Iranian missiles are crap and useless. And would not hit US bases. 
    Pentagon unfortunately for him confirmed 16 ballistic missiles fired by Iran- 12 hit inside the two bases, 4 missed/ or failed. I have not seen pictures from the other location yet.

Iran said tens of missiles then it was dozens in three waves ,you thought hundreds ,
    You claimed Iran this and Iran that we got a few canvas tents damaged , and a 737 shot down
    Then we got back tracking and roundabouts from the same posters claiming they intentionally missed and you say I'm taking something out of context ,

No point chasing tails.

Thats lie where did i say hundreds? post that quote please!
    I said i hearing reports up to 30 and low as 6

none got intercepted.

Says who ,

Where are the other missiles they launched ?

You don't know ?

But ,but ,but

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Some seriously sad yokes "contributing" to the thread.. they've continuously had the flaws in their own posts pointed out but continue to stamp their feet with their fingers in their ears screaming I'm right.
    Think this thread is done.

Advertisement