Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US take out Suleimani - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Gatling wrote: »
    Reports and photos from the Ukraine International Airlines flight PS752 site showing parts of a missile found close by

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058043746/8/#post112201120

Some dodgy news site from Dubai. How do we know those photos are even from the site? I’ll think I’ll stick with sky news for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

MadYaker wrote: »
    The first sentence is totally false. I agree with your second point, not sure how it’s relevant. I’m not anti American I love America. I have family there and I visit fairly regularly.

Some posters think you anti- American if you disagree with American foreign policy. They think everybody inside the US believes in perpetual war, they don't. Trump was appointed on the promise of no more war. The Warhawks on this thread seem to ignore that. I'm all for the US military fighting a war if they are
    openly attacked. Russia or China attacked the United States i be supporting them. The problem is US foreign policy is dictated by bad, power hungry wealthy man who use poor young men to fight wars that do more harm than good. US spend trillions in the middle east and only the rich got better off from it and peace hasn't happened rolling on 17 years now since 2003 Iraq war. WW2 only lasted 5+ years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1214993361326788612

Theory may change, right now that's what they think.

Tsh.What would they know.

We have aviation/ military/ security/experts here if we all had the proper clearance each could tell us the real story

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

and peace hasn't happened rolling on 17 years now since 2003 Iraq war. WW2 only lasted 5+ years.

WW2 lasted 5 years yeat the whole or Eastern Europe right up to the middle of Berlin were forcibly occupied by Russia till 20 odd years ago.

As for war hawk cheering Iran last night telling all about the war ,

Yet the normal posters claimed nothing would happen other than limited strikes yet now the same people telling us Iran this and Iran that ,
    Damaged a few canvas tents in a Massive attack followed by in their opinion Iran missed on purpose

WW2 lasted 5 years yeat the whole or Eastern Europe right up to the middle of Berlin were forcibly occupied by Russia till 20 odd years ago.

The same could be said for New Mexico and America is still there over 170 years later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Plane was mistakenly or deliberately brought down. It was not a technical error. If you believe otherwise you are a gullible fool.

As for war hawk cheering Iran last night telling all about the war ,

Yet the normal posters claimed nothing would happen other than limited strikes yet now the same people telling us Iran this and Iran that ,
    Damaged a few canvas tents in a Massive attack followed by in their opinion Iran missed on purpose

That not entirely accurate because the Nazi Reich occupied all Eastern European states. The Soviets had to push them back to get at East Berlin, and win the war. Then tensions established later between the west and Soviets, lead to decisions were the Soviets kept occupying the countries they took over Despite what US officials say Soviet union gave up jurisdiction they started listening in the late 80s and decided to end the division and pulled out. There was even a coup attempt inside Russia to stop the collapse,  that failed, the moderates won. 

US officials are even claiming least believe Iran did not want to kill US personnel. You believe the US don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Plane was mistakenly or deliberately brought down. It was not a technical error. If you believe otherwise you are a gullible fool.

A massive coincidence it would be but massive coincidences happen all the time. Without knowing the true facts all 3 options are still on the table imo.

That not entirely accurate because

That's 100% accurate .

No I don't believe Iran only wanted to burn down a few tents ,
    They boasted the had killed 20 and then 30 American soldiers so yeah that's a total fail .

Iran we didn't want to kill Americans yeah right

Death to the canvas tents wasn't what the Iranian government were screaming now is it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭mulbot

That's 100% accurate .

They boasted the had killed 20 and then 30 American soldiers so yeah that's a total fail .

Death to the canvas tents wasn't what the Iranian government were screaming now is it

Where was the promised US response to the retaliation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

That's 100% accurate .

Iran took the moral high ground. A great strategy as it makes trump look an even bigger unhinged basket case than he already is.

That's 100% accurate .

Really galls you that they hit what the aimed at doesn`t it.
    Apparently it does as well that they told the Iraqis where and when they were sending those missiles.

Just get over it and move on.

Rockets fired in Baghdād at US/ Green zone. It just the same thing as previously.

charlie14 wrote: »
    Really galls you that they hit what the aimed at doesn`t it

30 missiles fired at tents Tents vs the head of quds forces and militias with 2 HELLFIRES

Iran claim and we believe them because we hate America and we cheered the Iranian missiles last night hoping to see dead Americans and a base reduced to rubble ,but all we got was a few tents damaged and no dead Americans but plenty of Scrambled eggs on faces (analogy) :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

To give an option to Iran that doesn't lead to war and allows their leadership to save face.

100% - I really hope this is the end of it though.

If this was completely unplanned then Iran has dealt with this unbelievably well (either intentionally or by complete luck)

Anything other than Iran's "appropriate" response would lead to major repercussions. I don't think they have a death wish.
    Hitting a number of targets with minimal damage and no deaths (making an early warning call also a factor) would be hard to achieve (and incredibly risky) otherwise. Even if both sides were fully aware of the game plan, accidents can happen - and would be really bad for everyone concerned. I'd imagine a single US death would have lead to massive escalation/airstrikes etc. Trumps rhetoric and bravado would have made it impossible for him to not retaliate further.

This has allowed Trump to deflect from impeachment, charge his base and spike weapon stock - some people in Mar-a-Lago definitely benefited from this, but also also enables him to look reasonably sane in not taking things any further (I hope!) unlike Clinton /s
    His statement today was the most coherent and stable speech I've ever seen him give. Only a few falters, but stayed pretty much 100% on script and no rambling. Spent a bit of time fluffing his feathers but even that was relatively tame. A far cry from hitting 52 sites (including cultural sites) HARD AND FAST rhetoric.

I'm certainly hoping the Iranian/other "terrorists" killed by the US deserved their fate.

On the other side it allows the Iranian leadership to basically say "we won't be pushed around" by the US and allow them to save face too.
    I thought some of the twitter trolling was a nice touch.

Trump has previously been reported to ask other nations to play along with his act hasn't he? (was it Mexico and/or Australia PMs? I know there was some transcript of it... as well as "allegedly" asking Ukraine to simply "say" Biden was under investigation without actually performing it) so a similar scenario here is not all that far fetched.

30 missiles fired at tents Tents vs the head of quds forces and militias with 2 HELLFIRES

Iran claim and we believe them because we hate America and we cheered the Iranian missiles last night hoping to see dead Americans and a base reduced to rubble ,but all we got was a few tents damaged and no dead Americans but plenty of Scrambled eggs on faces (analogy) :o

The US embarrassed itself though didn't it-huge military talk for the last few days, "we will hit them very hard and very fast" "we will hit them harder than they've ever been hit before" "we've got lots of shiny new weapons" " America doesn't want to start a war, but we will finish one" if Iran attacks any of our bases or troops. Then..... Nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

mulbot wrote: »
    The US embarrassed itself though didn't it-huge military talk for the last few days, "we will hit them very hard and very fast" "we will hit them harder than they've ever been hit before" "we've got lots of shiny new weapons" " America doesn't want to start a war, but we will finish one" if Iran attacks any of our bases or troops. Then..... Nothing

I knew last night they were full of wind, nothing but bullies, when the reality of what would happen if they went to war with Iran sank in they were a no show

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

That talk worked. Iran calmed down and took minor action that saved them face and the US could live with.

Explained to you previously Iran informed the Iraqi authorities an hour before the attack the missiles were coming.
    That obviously gave space for all personnel in the base Iraqi/ US to escape.
    US would likewise have tracked missiles in high altitude coming in from Iran-- they had their own warnings.

Regards the strikes, it's a massive base spread out. You also overlook the hit stuff inside the base at night, not in daylight accurately. Every expert who looked at this claim the Iranian missiles are very accurate and precise based on damage scene!

12 missiles hit- experts have found so far 7 locations that got hit and damage was done. We don't know what they truly damaged inside the tents. Either way, you failed in your analysis Iran could not strike targets inside the base. The missiles came from Iran 900 miles away, not exactly close by either.

The US embarrassed itself though didn't it-huge military talk for the last few days, "we will hit them very hard[ /quote]

They killed Soleimani a few days ago ,and the massive Iranian revolutionaries forces response was damaging a few tents .
    In a pre arranged massive attack on an empty base .

Come on now even for Anti Americans it was a fail you's got nothing salivating over dead Americans and all you's got was a few tents .

Massive let down boys massive let down all that bluster for tents .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

smurgen wrote: »
    Iran took the moral high ground.
    I don't really think they did. They had a tightrope act to perform, they needed to do something that would satisfactorily constitute a "response" but would also not be so damaging as to make further American action inevitable.

They achieved it, but I don't think there is any moral high ground here.

Explained to you previously

Tents ,

Massive attack on empty tents ,

Massive fail

None of that negates that they hit what the aimed at.

Or that the US have made no claims that the intercepted any missiles with those shiny toys you were so keen to tell us all about.

As I said, you need to just accept those two points and move on rather than continually highlight them.

Albeit unintentionally to the detriment of your own earlier posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

alastair wrote: »
    The LA Times reported a pentagon source saying that they didn’t try to intercept the missiles. Now that’s really only happening if A. They don’t have kit there capable of hitting the missiles, or B. They decided to let the missiles hit for whatever reason. They certainly used their rapid fire gun turret things on them at the base, and they didn’t have any obvious effect. There’s also phone footage from the base of loud bangs as the missiles were incoming, which presumably are some form of defensive system, but again, they don’t appear to have had any success either. You can’t really see anything, so it’s just sharp bangs and lads getting over-excited.

If I was a cynical I’d be inclined to suggest that it’s implausible that they would just shrug at missiles headed towards their base, which cost all that money, and their service people who were at some risk, and that it’s more likely that whatever they had to counter such an attack simply didn’t work. It’s not like we haven’t been here before.

The C-RAM systems are really effective for what they're intended, but not for baldric missiles.
    I watched a video of them in action at Baghram airbase destroying incoming morters

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭RoryMac

The attack last night looks to have been a mediated strike to allow Iran save face and de-escalate the situation. Plenty of notice and a few tents/hangars hit. Showed Iran has the capabilities to hit the US bases which is a decent PR win internally for them and they avoid the utter devastation a full US attack would have brought on them.

12 missiles hit- experts have found so far 7 locations that got hit and damage was done. We don't know what they truly damaged inside the tents. Either way, you failed in your analysis Iran could strike targets inside the base. The missiles came from Iran 900 miles away, not exactly close by either.

We don’t know if the US let the missiles through or not. If the US took out the missiles en route that would just embarrass Iran and they could not claim revenge was taken.

jackboy wrote: »
    That talk worked. Iran calmed down and took minor action that saved them face and the US could live with.

It didn't, the Iranians sent their measured response as promised.

Tents ,

Massive attack on empty tents ,

Massive fail

Do you know what happens when you have a warning missiles are coming? The US/ Iraqi forces gets the hell out of there and they move as much equipment away as possible.

Nobody knows what was inside those tents/ structures a couple of hours before the strike.

It didn't, the Iranians sent their measured response as promised.

They never promised a measured response. Their response was a PR stunt, not a serious military attack.

• Advertisement

jackboy wrote: »
    We don’t know if the US let the missiles through or not. If the US took out the missiles en route that would just embarrass Iran and they could not claim revenge was taken.

They likely did, i be surprised if they could not launch counter measures in time.

Advertisement