Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US take out Suleimani - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭mulbot

RoryMac wrote: »
    The attack last night looks to have been a mediated strike to allow Iran save face and de-escalate the situation. Plenty of notice and a few tents/hangars hit. Showed Iran has the capabilities to hit the US bases which is a decent PR win internally for them and they avoid the utter devastation a full US attack would have brought on them.

So the US are willing to take egg on their faces so the Iranians can look good to their own people?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Do you know what happens when you have a warning missiles are coming? The US/ Iraqi forces gets the hell out of there and they move as much equipment away as possible.

Nobody knows what was inside those tents/ structures a couple of hours before the strike.

They had warning well ahead to intercept with defense systems and the Iranians still hit.hope the kept the receipts.

Shocked. Had the supreme leader down as a Blur man.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Gatling wrote: »
    Tents ,

Massive attack on empty tents ,

Massive fail

Now you are just channeling Trump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

smurgen wrote: »
    They had warning well ahead to intercept with defense systems and the Iranians still hit.hope the kept the receipts.

Yes, but we don't know if US attempted to knock them down. Right now it seems not. Some base defences were activated, but did nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Do you know what happens when you have a warning missiles are coming? The US/ Iraqi forces gets the hell out of there and they move as much equipment away as possible.

But all those fancy and expensive American aircraft sitting there in the open .

Went for empty tents instead

Doesn't fit your narrative at all now ,

But ,but ,but

But all those fancy and expensive American aircraft sitting there in the open .

Went for empty tents instead

Doesn't fit your narrative at all now ,

But ,but ,but

We looking at daylight images of the strikes. They're not images of the strikes in real time as it was happening at night. There hours and hours later after the event.

The helicopters likely left the area, to eacape.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

mulbot wrote: »
    So the US are willing to take egg on their faces so the Iranians can look good to their own people?
    As a diplomatically-brokered way of de-escalating the situation, with Iran and the US each spinning it to their own advantage? As an example or RealPolitik, absolutely. Even within Iran, the regime does not enjoy universal support, and I would not say the average Iranian is a rabid Death-To-America ideologue. Let the face-saving continue.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

We looking at daylight images of the strikes. They're not images of the strikes in real time as it was happening at night. There hours and hours later after the event.

The helicopters likely left the area, to eacape.

I'll just leave this here ,

And laugh .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

charlie14 wrote: »
    Get over it.

They hit what the aimed at and despite all the wonderful gadgets you kept telling us about, none got intercepted.

That would be the civilian airliner that you have the indisputable evidence that presumably because we do not have high enough security clearance you cannot show us that it was shot down I presume ?

The very same airliner that from your aviation expertise the flight recorders should have been immediately handed over to Boeing perhaps ?

Why would they intercept them ... the US knew that there was an imminent attack due yesterday... that info was released last night... of course all their men and most expensive weapons were kept safe and out of harms way .. So why try stop the missiles from hitting worthless targets

• Advertisement

I'll just leave this here ,

And laugh .

The large/tents house aircraft and helicopters they are likely makeshift hangars. Since three of the structures suffered significant damage may explain why the helicopters all lined up in a row on the runway, in daylight hours. They got hell out of there when the warning came?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭RoryMac

My thinking would be the US were under a lot of pressure from other countries to de-escalate the situation, along with the threat of being asked to leave Iraq which would leave Iran with even more control over the ME led to a stand-down by the US.

Also I don't think they had any appetite for a long drawn out war with Iran. They saw an opportunity to take out a bad guy and rashly took it but a few missiles hitting a deserted base thanks to advance warning from Iran gave both sides a way out.

I'd imagine the Iraqis were trying very hard to calm the situation as they could well have been the battlefield for the war. If anything they're the only winners as it stands, they have an open threat to expel US forces and Iran's influence in Iraq may be less with Soleimani out of the picture

It didn't, the Iranians sent their measured response as promised.

Mammy tuck you into bed yet... go on go to bed... ya have a big day in school tomorrow :)

LillySV wrote: »
    Why would they intercept them ... the US knew that there was an imminent attack due yesterday... that info was released last night... of course all their men and most expensive weapons were kept safe and out of harms way .. So why try stop the missiles from hitting worthless targets

They obviously had plenty of time to prepare for this attack, so I find it strange that for no other reason than to show Iran plus other Arab states where there are other US bases, that they have the capability to intercept these Iranian missiles.
    The question is now left hanging if the US actually has the capability which will be encouraging to the Iranians and worrisome I would imagine for those Arab states with US bases.

That's true, but they had warning. It not like they had not got time to clear out when you have information of incoming missiles. Something happened last night, now i recall, two of the bases started testing sirens and hour or before the attack. We got false rumors about an attack before it happened. The narrative is true, most likely the Iranians wanted to strike something without doing real damage., Those nice Apache helicopters got rolled out and took off before the missiles came in. For the Iranians it was just a warning they could strike a base from their own land precise.. 

charlie14 wrote: »
    They obviously had plenty of time to prepare for this attack, so I find it strange that for no other reason than to show Iran plus other Arab states where there are other US bases, that they have the capability to intercept these Iranian missiles.
    The question is now left hanging if the US actually has the capability which will be encouraging to the Iranians and worrisome I would imagine for those Arab states with US bases.

No trump wasn’t received well for killing the Iranian crackpot... so by letting this attack go ahead... it kind of de escalates the situation... Iran look like they took their revenge.... each side happy for moment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

It's rhetoric that served it's purpose, Iran didn't dare order a genuine strike to do real damage. In effect they waved the white flag with their fake little attack.
    This is the first time in history that ballistic missiles were fired at a US military installation and it should be noted that they were accurate, they didn't miss their target and land in a residential area. Its a far cry from those ancient Scuds that Saddam used to fire at Israel all those years ago.
    A wake up call for the US of A I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

You are naive if you think the history books will see American foreign policy in the Middle East during the last hundred years as anything other than what it is: a
    litany of immoral and terroristic actions typically taken under false pretences in order steal resources, cripple economies, and assert authority with brute force and criminal negligence in places where it is very much unwelcome.

How will history books view other countries that the US had been at war in. E.g South Korea, Japan, Germany?

Maybe the problem is not so much the US but how whacky countries such as Iran or North Korea are.

most likely the Iranians wanted to strike something without doing real damage., Those nice Apache helicopters got rolled out and took off before the missiles came in.

Death to the canvas Allah

Death to the canvas Allah .

Something happened Last night indeed I'd leave it at that

• Registered Users Posts: 25,592 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Dante7 wrote: »
    I know a little bit about this subject, I created the thread. I have avoided contributing further due to the amount of nonsense that has been posted. But claiming that PS752 wasn't downed by Iran is just ludicrous. American fighters had been scrambled from UAE, Iranian air defences were on high alert. A three year old 737 that was serviced two days previously falls out of the sky. And you are insinuating that it's a coincidence! Fcukin hell.

Unlike others here I will wait for the facts/evidence to surface rather than make blind accusations.

• Advertisement

This is the first time in history that ballistic missiles

Killed a a few tents

Your man's hand must be rolling his grave.

They killed our biggest warrior and we killed a tent ,
    Like the time those pesky Syrians shot down a russian military aircraft killing all on board ,
    Must be considered winning too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

If this was all set up between the US and Iran it kinda defeats the theory that a missile hit that Ukrainian airliner

Killed a a few tents

Like the time those pesky Syrians shot down a russian military aircraft killing all on board ,
    Must be considered winning too

Weren't you the fella whinging and ghoulin about posters here getting kicks over American and Iraqi soldiers being killed last night, oh so fake sympathy judging by this and your other posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

Killed a a few tents

Well played,genuine LOL moment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,592 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Weren't you the fella whinging and ghoulin about posters here getting kicks over American and Iraqi soldiers being killed last night, oh so fake sympathy judging by this and your other posts

He's a yankee fanboy, no matter what you say no matter what evidence gets posted he will reply with some pro yank shìte

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Well played,genuine LOL moment :D

You missed his "flown home on an economy seat" comment... We must have heard it at least 20 times to give himself extra tough guy points, he was probably hiding under his desk when the attacks started last night..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

It's hardly a wake up call if they knew it was going to happen and wanted it to happen.
    Haven't we been led to believe that any attack on a US installation is an act of war and retaliation will be swift, isn't that the American way?
    How do we know the US 'wanted it to happen'? I would expect that sort of bravado anyway.
    Gatling's contributions as usual are a bit too intellectual for me.

If this was all set up between the US and Iran it kinda defeats the theory that a missile hit that Ukrainian airliner

I don’t think it was set up... I think it’s more of a silent understanding

No trump wasn’t received well for killing the Iranian crackpot... so by letting this attack go ahead... it kind of de escalates the situation... Iran look like they took their revenge.... each side happy for moment

The US really had no choice in whether the attacks went ahead or not, but they had early warning where the attacks would happen and those bases had time to prepare.
    If they had the capability to intercept and done so I don`t see how it would have affected the situation regards de-escalation.

It would also I imagine not just be solace for those other Arab states with US bases, but US troops within those bases. Especially in Iraq.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭mulbot

Haven't we been led to believe that any attack on a US installation is an act of war and retaliation will be swift, isn't that the American way?
    How do we know the US 'wanted it to happen'? I would expect that sort of bravado anyway.
    Gatling's contributions as usual are a bit too intellectual for me.

Yes, but only if you are armed with ak 47s. When the other side has ballistic missiles flying at you, well, we've seen the response..... .

Advertisement