Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US take out Suleimani - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

You missed his "flown home on an economy seat" comment... We must have heard it at least 20 times to give himself extra tough guy points, he was probably hiding under his desk when the attacks started last night..

That was just facts "hand rolling in his grave" was comedy.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

as usual are a bit too intellectual for me.

Amen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

So Suleimani developed and liaised with paramilitary groups, that have been used by Iran as proxies for attacking other states, right?

I imagine that the authority and control that Iran has over these groups might have been significantly affected? A likely result would be that some of them might begin acting in an unrestrained manner, and might have their own ideas about vengeance.

There are conflicting tones and voices coming from the Iranian state itself right now, so I imagine it will have difficulty maintaining cohesion among such groups.

Maybe one such group downed the passenger aircraft? If so I imagine the target was a mistake, and I don't see it as having been ordered by the Iranian state, as it completely goes against how they are trying to play this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭threeball

He's a yankee fanboy, no matter what you say no matter what evidence gets posted he will reply with some pro yank shìte

I said it last night and I'll say it again. The best place for that lad and at least 3 others is the ignore list. Although one of that three got the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Well played,genuine LOL moment :D

Genuine ???

He/she has been channeling this old Trumps shlte ad nauseam since he first came out of the trenches to give us the benefit of his military/civil aviation regulation expertise.

• Advertisement

So Suleimani developed and liaised with paramilitary groups, that have been used by Iran as proxies for attacking other states, right?

I imagine that the authority and control that Iran has over these groups might have been significantly affected? A likely result would be that some of them might begin acting in an unrestrained manner, and might have their own ideas about vengeance.

There are conflicting tones and voices coming from the Iranian state itself right now, so I imagine it will have difficulty maintaining cohesion among such groups.

Maybe one such group downed the passenger aircraft? If so I imagine the target was a mistake, and I don't see it as having been ordered by the Iranian state, as it completely goes against how they are trying to play this.

The region is certainly a lot less stable with Suleimani gone. He kept alot of disparate groups on the one path and I think you'll definitely see some running rogue, either attacking other factions or attacking American installations.

It will probably also leave the door open for Isis to gain a foothold again which is in no ones interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Correct Soleimani was the man solely responsible for control of proxies across the ME and further afield,

I doubt they directly targeted the Ukrainian 737 it's most likely it was hit by a missile flying towards Iraq ,Iran Never cleared there own airspace before lobbing missiles at Iraq in a supposedly pre arranged ,pre planned attack ,
    Remember Iran said that they fired dozens of missiles somewhere between 22 and 30 missiles were launched 10 made it to Iraq that leaves anything up to 20 missiles that didn't hit Iraq .
    It's quite possible one hit the Ukrainian 737 , accident or not they have zero moral high ground on this now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If this was all set up between the US and Iran it kinda defeats the theory that a missile hit that Ukrainian airliner

How so? At the moment the most likely explanation seems to be that Iranian air defence accidentally shot it down. I wouldn’t think the two incidents are necessarily related but it’s impossible to know.

We know that the Iranians informed us the Iraqis about which base they would hit and when. Why would they do that? They must have known the Iraqis would warn the Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

pearcider wrote: »
    Ireland is far more dependent on oil that the US.

We could double our wind turbines and have majority of our electricity by wind for many days.

MadYaker wrote: »
    How so? At the moment the most likely explanation seems to be that Iranian air defence accidentally shot it down. I wouldn’t think the two incidents are necessarily related but it’s impossible to know.

We know that the Iranians informed us the Iraqis about which base they would hit and when. Why would they do that? They must have known the Iraqis would warn the Americans.

Wouldn't be good for relations if Iraqis were caught in the crossfire but they probably knew the word would travel.
    The plane thing is less certain. Almost certainly not a missile as the plane came down in tact and eye witnesses described the pilot manoeuvring to avoid houses etc. Not something you would associate with a plane with bits blown off it. If it was shot down it was most likely heavy artillery but who can say at this point.

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »

3 hours ago CNN stated that a US official told them that US intelligence on taking a look at the crash, determined there was no missile heat signature that would have been detected which would have been captured by US military and intelligence monitoring if the plane had been struck by a missile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Gatling wrote: »
    Correct Soleimani was the man solely responsible for control of proxies across the ME and further afield,

I doubt they directly targeted the Ukrainian 737 it's most likely it was hit by a missile flying towards Iraq ,Iran Never cleared there own airspace before lobbing missiles at Iraq in a supposedly pre arranged ,pre planned attack ,
    Remember Iran said that they fired dozens of missiles somewhere between 22 and 30 missiles were launched 10 made it to Iraq that leaves anything up to 20 missiles that didn't hit Iraq .
    It's quite possible one hit the Ukrainian 737 , accident or not they have zero moral high ground on this now

It is not really quite possible, its extremely unlikely that one of the missiles that they launched at the US airfields hit the aircraft, There is such little chance of it happening that I would say it is virtually impossible.
    I would not rule out an Iranian air defense battery taking the aircraft down.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,592 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

LillySV wrote: »
    I don’t think it was set up... I think it’s more of a silent understanding

So let me get this straight

Iran decided to bomb a US/Iraq air base in Iraq.

They told the US/Iraq, they would do this.

They then decided to blow up a civilian plane to throw internet detectives off the scent? :rolleyes:

charlie14 wrote: »
    3 hours ago CNN stated that a US official told them that US intelligence on taking a look at the crash, determined there was no missile heat signature that would have been detected which would have been captured by US military and intelligence monitoring if the plane had been struck by a missile.

Definitely not a missile.

It is not really quite possible, its extremely unlikely that one of the missiles that they launched at the US fields hit the aircraft, There is such little chance of it happening that I would say it is virtually impossible.
    I would not rule aut an Iranian air defense battery taking the aircraft down.

It was 2hrs after the last missiles were fired. Most likely explanation is a gittery militia with a mounted 50cal. Plane was only at 7000ft and heading towards a mountainous area.

Genuine ???

He/she has been channeling this old Trumps shlte ad nauseam since he first came out of the trenches to give us the benefit of his military/civil aviation regulation expertise.

Yes I laughed out load at a funny little quip.Shock horror:eek:

And I dont give a fcuk about that poster or what he believes.

threeball wrote: »
    Definitely not a missile.

Looking highly unlikely, but will that matter to those here where it does not fit into the single narrative loop running in their heads ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

It was 2hrs after the last missiles were fired. Most likely explanation is a gittery militia with a mounted 50cal. Plane was only at 7000ft and heading towards a mountainous area.

Hitting an aircraft traveling at that speed and at that height in the dark with a .50 would be some shot. More likely than being hit with a missile fired two hours earlier but I would say also almost impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

It's a wonder the patriot system radar didn't pick it up, it must have been busy making toasted sandwiches

Yes I laughed out load at a funny little quip.Shock horror:eek:

And I dont give a fcuk about that poster or what he believes.

Fair enough. Their are people easily amused I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Yeah but I don't think it got that far from the airport, would they not have seen were it came from?

Fair enough. Their are people easily amused I suppose.

Is there any need for that?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

pablo128 wrote: »
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112200542&postcount=3084

Just so everyone is aware, Gatling is going back and deleting his posts earlier where he was claiming it was definitely an Iranian missile that shot the plane down. Unfortunately he can't delete other people's posts that quoted him.

Christ.....

Is there any need for that?:confused:
    Well in fairness it wasn`t exactly the joke of the century and had been repeated so often it was so stale that if it was bread pigeons would not have given it a second glance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

theballz wrote: »
    Christ.....

I was mistaken there. He didn't delete his posts. They are still there. I gave him too much credit.

Although I wonder will he admit he was wrong. I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

The Ukranian airline in question has no previous crashes. The model of plane in question has has 12 crashes worldwide after logging 240 million hours of flight time. It went down in an air space pervaded by different military factions amongst high tensions. Occam's Razor, lads. There's bad timing and then there's bad timing.

pablo128 wrote: »
    I was mistaken there. He didn't delete his posts. They are still there. I gave him too much credit.

Although I wonder will he admit he was wrong. I doubt it.

He is pretty nifty though at selectively replying to just a section of a post when attempting to get himself out of a corner or ignore a question that doesn`t suit.

Well in fairness it wasn`t exactly the joke of the century and had been repeated so often it was so stale that if it was bread pigeons would not have given it a second glance

Maybe I didnt read the whole thread,no need for your silly addon just because I found something funny and it was posted by someone you dont like.

The Ukranian airline in question has no previous crashes. The model of plane in question has has 12 crashes worldwide after logging 240 million hours of flight time. It went down in an air space pervaded by different military factions amongst high tensions. Occam's Razor, lads. There's bad timing and then there's bad timing.

Plane crashes are like being hit by lightning.

Statistics really do not matter.

• Advertisement

Maybe I didnt read the whole thread,no need for your silly addon just because I found something funny and it was posted by someone you dont like.

Nothing to do with whether I like him/her or not.
    I didn`t find it funny the first time, and the more it was repeated by the poster it became even less so.

Advertisement