Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US take out Suleimani - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

smurgen wrote:
    Iran took the moral high ground. A great strategy as it makes trump look an even bigger unhinged basket case than he already is.

I've stayed out of this conversation until now and will bow out again. But what? Iran took a moral high ground? Trump is an insane lunatic, but you are honestly trying to say that IRAN have a higher moral ground?

You have no credibility. None whatsoever.

Just say you hate trump and anyone that hates him too is your mate. Cool. But you are blinded by your hatred for trump and can't see you are on the side of a regime that kills their own people for protesting and have archaic ideals rather just to prove that you hate trump.

Iran. Higher moral ground.

For **** sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

archer22 wrote: »
    Its obvious that the American missile defences utterly failed and proved itself to be just expensive junk, and that is the reason there was no American response to the strikes.
    The suit of armour they thought they were wearing turned out to be a suit of tissue paper.
    The fact the Iranian missiles got through meant that any war with Iran would be a long and costly affair in lives and machines with no guarantee of victory.
    Just think of it Iran would be hitting every American base in the region day and night with precision missile strikes.

As for the real damage Iran caused in this strike we will probably never know as I doubt any journalists will be allowed in to view the "minimal damage".
    One thing is certain those hangers destroyed weren't housing chickens!
    As for casualties again we may never know...if there were American any dead they can likely be shipped back home and their families informed they died in 'vehicle accidents'.

There was a suspiciously high number number of Americans died in "vehicle accidents" during the Iraq insurgency years.

On the wider geopolitical level the failure of American missile defences leaves them looking vulnerable and naked...if they cannot stop Iran's missiles, then they haven't a hope in hell of intercepting Russia and China's hypersonic missle systems.

This is demented. The Americans are shipping back their dead in secret hahaha!

Russia and China would get sparked by the Americans in a conventional war.

Neither nation could field even one carrier battle group. The US navy operates 12. Each one has 80 warplanes and numerous ships and nuclear submarines. There’s no nation on earth that could stand up to one carrier group never mind 12.

The USAF would be able to shoot down the Chinese and Russian planes before they even knew they were being tracked with their AWACS etc. It would be a bloodbath just like the Iraq war was in 1990. Any good tech that China has they have stolen and replicated. Russia is a basket case economically and their best scientists go to MIT and work for American companies.

This is anti American delusion at its finest and sums up the lunatic anti American posters in here. They would literally rather see a medieval dictatorship rule the world then support America who lest we forget has always been a dependable friend for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭Varik

People suggesting this was a warning from Iran is ludicrous. If they all landed within sight of the base in some open field then maybe but they didn't, and for all Iran knew they could have hit anything.

Either the US got lucky or they knew it wasn't going to hit anything important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

I would say this was definitely just a warning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Ironicname wrote: »
    I've stayed out of this conversation until now and will bow out again. But what? Iran took a moral high ground? Trump is an insane lunatic, but you are honestly trying to say that IRAN have a higher moral ground?

You have no credibility. None whatsoever.

Just say you hate trump and anyone that hates him too is your mate. Cool. But you are blinded by your hatred for trump and can't see you are on the side of a regime that kills their own people for protesting and have archaic ideals rather just to prove that you hate trump.

Iran. Higher moral ground.

For **** sake.

I hate trump but also in this instance Iran have taken the moral high ground. And given your hyperbole pardon me if I don't take your assessment of my credibility to heart :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

As I understand it, then, either the US has been cowed into doing nothing by the Iranians, or the US has said "we got what we wanted, you've had your temper tantrum, let's move on"

And an airliner had a terminal earth/air interface event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

I don't think the Iranians have had enough revenge yet, I suspect they'll play the long game on this one after letting it cool down

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

pablo128 wrote: »
    I was mistaken there. He didn't delete his posts. They are still there. I gave him too much credit.

Although I wonder will he admit he was wrong. I doubt it.

I don't delete posts and yes when I'm wrong I'm happy to admit it ,

Unlike a few others but hey life goes on ,
    It's boards , suppose if someone's bating themselves raw at the idea of Americans and Iraqis getting killed so they can cheer that iran is winning.,
    Multiple posts about the massive attacks and American deaths and bases turned to rubble , then the sun came up no Americans dead ,a base wasn't reduced to rubble and few tents got damaged ,
    And then came the back tracking and roundabouts and excuse after excuse how the Iranians missed on purpose Iran chose to do this and that in their opinion ,

But it didn't match narrative been spun and at least 3 got caught tieing themselves in knots because they couldn't keep up with the constant changing claims they made .

So yeah life goes on and if people want to slag me off I don't care and neither does the majority of boards ,
    I stand by everything I say ,
    The fanboi's yesterday proved How petty and childish they really are constantly changing their claims then attacking people because they couldn't keep up with their own post's

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I wouldn't be surprised at a thread lock so people can skulk off to a another thread or disappear until the next anti American agenda thread comes along ,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Iranians won't be giving the Black Box of the down airplane to the Americans or Boeing.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51042326

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

So let me get this straight

Iran decided to bomb a US/Iraq air base in Iraq.

They told the US/Iraq, they would do this.

They then decided to blow up a civilian plane to throw internet detectives off the scent? :rolleyes:

Do U just go around quoting everyone wrong and making up ****? I said it was a silent understanding ... never said anyone told anyone ... it Is FACT that the Americans knew it was coming ...so clearly the Iranians didn’t try too hard to hide their plans. As regards the plane, never said a ****ing thing about them shooting down a plane or having anything to do with it so don’t try misquote me.

Why don’t yourself and your Iranian fans go across to Iran for your hols this year, they are all lovely people after all there...

Gatling wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised at a thread lock so people can skulk off to a another thread or disappear until the next anti American agenda thread comes along ,

It’s unbelievable what’s happening on this thread and I’m seriously questioning the moderators here... I got a warning earlier for saying nothing ... yet the Iranian fanboys are insulting the **** out of you and anyone that questions the anti American sentiment.. and if you look at their previous contributions on boards... u will see that’s all they do... attack and insult people ... and they’re not banned!!! Think it’s ok what u say here once your a leftie and hate America

Some People here don’t seem to understand that our economy relies seriously on USA, all the biggest employers here from USA and Ireland would be fuct if USA had a global meltdown and their companies closed or were to leave
    That would result in loads here losing jobs , govt here would have less money to throw out to those on dole and back to education then... so all our Iranian fans be hit in the pocket then... hopefully Iran will come over and employ loads here then and boost our economy ...........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

LillySV wrote: »
    It’s unbelievable what’s happening on this thread and I’m seriously questioning the moderators here... I got a warning earlier for saying nothing ... yet the Iranian fanboys are insulting the **** out of you and anyone that questions the anti American sentiment.. and if you look at their previous contributions on boards... u will see that’s all they do... attack and insult people ... and they’re not banned!!! Think it’s ok what u say here once your a leftie and hate America

Some People here don’t seem to understand that our economy relies seriously on USA, all the biggest employers here from USA and Ireland would be fuct if USA had a global meltdown and their companies closed or were to leave
    That would result in loads here losing jobs , govt here would have less money to throw out to those on dole and back to education then... so all our Iranian fans be hit in the pocket then... hopefully Iran will come over and employ loads here then and boost our economy ...........

You don't see a problem with the black/white thinking,us v them type thinking because of money?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭threeball

Hitting an aircraft traveling at that speed and at that height in the dark with a .50 would be some shot. More likely than being hit with a missile fired two hours earlier but I would say also almost impossible.

Spray off 50 or 60 rounds in the direction there's a good chance some hit and do enough damage to disable controls.

It's just a theory but far more likely than a missile. There was no mid air explosion. Could just be a coincidence too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,592 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Do U just go around quoting everyone wrong and making up ****? I said it was a silent understanding ... never said anyone told anyone ... it Is FACT that the Americans knew it was coming ...so clearly the Iranians didn’t try too hard to hide their plans. As regards the plane, never said a ****ing thing about them shooting down a plane or having anything to do with it so don’t try misquote me.

Why don’t yourself and your Iranian fans go across to Iran for your hols this year, they are all lovely people after all there...

Been there 3 times already, you should go yourself, maybe expand your horizons a bit.

smurgen wrote: »
    You don't see a problem with the black/white thinking,us v them type thinking because of money?

I’ve a problem where someone insults all of a America because they don’t like trump and it’s cool to do so .

Lads here calling American airmen inbred hillbillies earlier.. stupid carry on and not acceptable ...

As regards the money part, I’m highlighting the fact USA have done more for human rights than Iran have...

Been there 3 times already, you should go yourself, maybe expand your horizons a bit.

Why don’t u stay there if it expanded your horizons

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

markodaly wrote: »
    Iranians won't be giving the Black Box of the down airplane to the Americans or Boeing.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51042326

That wouldn't be unusual or unprecedented.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,592 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Why don’t u stay there if it expanded your horizons

Too hot for me, prefer cooler climes. Why don't you move to the US if it's such a great place?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 cosybeach

Boggles wrote: »
    That wouldn't be unusual or unprecedented.

Normally the airline, crash site and manufacturer have to come together to establish liability so its only a matter of time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As I understand it, then, either the US has been cowed into doing nothing by the Iranians, or the US has said "we got what we wanted, you've had your temper tantrum, let's move on"
    Or both.

Trump promised all sorts of hellfire and damnation if Iran retaliated. Iran retaliates, Trump does nothing, win for Iranian PR.

Iran kills no Americans, Trump claims that he has won peace with Iran, win for Trump PR.

I don't think this is over by a longshot, but Iran were never going to start lighting up US troops and risking a war on their own borders. They'll bring the fighting to US troops in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

There are some breathtakingly naive posters on here who seem to swallow the line that the US is on some noble crusade to rid the world by 'bad guys' in the quest for peace and harmony and all for the betterment of the Middle East.

The US is acting in its own strategic interests. Full stop. This latest 'battle' is the US vying with Iran for top dog status.

Over the past 10 years, Iranian influence was grown enormously in the region. The US does not like this as the US wants to be top dog. US foreign policy (or lack of it) has contributed to this and ironically Trump has contributed massively because he has no interest in foreign affairs unless it is to build one of his hotels.

The taking out of Suleimani may look on the surface like a mighty display of power (and it was in the short term) but really it was an act of desperation trying to wrestle back control.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is a naive fool.

Too hot for me, prefer cooler climes. Why don't you move to the US if it's such a great place?

I’d love to but have house job and family here... and after all our moaning... let’s be honest... Ireland is a lovely safe country :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

cosybeach wrote: »
    Normally the airline, crash site and manufacturer have to come together to establish liability so its only a matter of time

And there is nothing to suggest that won't happen.

Iran have said they won't hand over the boxes, that doesn't mean they won't hand over the data, I imagine like the Ethiopian authorities they will want the data retrieved independently.

Canada and France will lead the technical investigation of the boxes I imagine.

The Iranian Civil Aviation Organization are following the rules TBF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

I’ve a problem where someone insults all of a America because they don’t like trump and it’s cool to do so .

Lads here calling American airmen inbred hillbillies earlier.. stupid carry on and not acceptable ...

As regards the money part, I’m highlighting the fact USA have done more for human rights than Iran have...

Your post previous to this, you're sarcastically insulting all Iranian people "all lovely people".. pot meet kettle

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Yurt! wrote: »
    Whataboutery. I'm not claiming they're a 'good guy' but they're a hell of a lot better than a regime that cuts down 1500 people in a month over protests over fuel prices.

For what it’s worth, that figure is probably overblown. Amnesty reckon 106 people were killed.

So because US companies employ loads of people in Ireland we must all jump on the bandwagon and declare our undying loyalty to Uncle Sam and by criticizing US foreign policy we are putting this investment in jeopardy. Right.

Not sure about anyone else but I had no idea that my opinions carried such geopolitical weight in the wider world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

In fairness I don't think American Airmen would be hillbillies, they're quite refined and very intelligent to be able to fly such complex machines.

Met a few in a well known bar in the west and they're far from thick.
    Funny guys don't talk shop I don't hold their job against them, I just wouldn't do it myself.

Big strong strapping chiseled jawed jocks, built like machines.

Probably tare the arms off the average joe.

No they're definitely not hilly billies.

nthclare wrote: »
    In fairness I don't think American Airmen would be hillbillies, they're quite refined and very intelligent to be able to fly such complex machines.

Funny guys don't talk shop I don't hold their job against them, I just wouldn't do it myself.

No Hillbillies in the airforce. Highly selective criteria.

The standard in the infantry will not be so high- usually drawn from poor areas with high employment and zero prospects. The army is a way out. In fact the army actively recruit in poor areas- it's the same in England and probably all over the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

nthclare wrote: »

The notion that pilots are necessarily intelligent is rather undermined by the existence of Prince Andrew. Some are, some definitely are not.

Advertisement