Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US take out Suleimani - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

charlie14 wrote: »
    More worry for the US is if they did fail to intercept, was a comment today from the Iranian military that the missiles were of an older variety and not as efficient as their newest.

I saw some tracer fire in a unedited video, so the base defence reacted to incoming fire. I don't know if this base had Patriot systems?

This video has been confirmed to be real and was Iranian missiles hitting the Al Asad Iraqi/ US base. Shockwave frighting. IRGC launching the missiles from inside Iran also shown

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

alastair wrote: »
    Iran didn’t fire 30 missiles.

So Iran is lying , America is lying .

But you couldn't be lying just throwing abuse because you got caught up with iran this and Iran that and now spent 2 days making excuse after excuse your narritve was all lies

Sour grapes nothing more

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Not really. Would Iran have much intel regarding how well the US systems defend?

If you're only losing some buildings, why give away information about your defence capabilities.

I would not see why the would not have that intel. I`m sure the Russians have on the US defensive capabilities, same as the US has on theirs, and I would not see what you would have to loose by demonstrating that capability intercepting and discourage any other possible such attacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Been wondering that myself.

Raised it here yesterday but other a lot of post from our resident military experts of the "look over there instead" distract variety nobody seems to know.
    It`s not as if the US didn`t know where and when these missiles were aimed and didn`t has plenty of time to prepare to intercept, yet nothing from the US claiming they intercepted any or why not.

Very very strange.

I seen something today that Iran also launched a cyber attack on the US military tracking equipment at the same the missiles were launched, whether its true or not or if that's why they failed to intercept is anybody guess, again its not great advertisement for the patriot system

I would not see why the would not have that intel. I`m sure the Russians have on the US defensive capabilities, same as the US has on theirs, and I would not see what you would have to loose by demonstrating that capability intercepting and discourage any other possible such attacks.

You would lose who whole Iran being done with the situation thing and have them attacking other bases that have people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Gatling wrote: »

But you couldn't be lying just throwing abuse because you got caught up with iran this and Iran that and now spent 2 days making excuse after excuse your narritve was all lies

Sour grapes nothing more

The US didn’t say 30 missiles were fired. That would be you. The US is clear that the majority of the missiles hit their target.

I saw some tracer fire in a unedited video, so the base defence reacted to incoming fire.

That was the C-ram engaging anything from rockets and mortars ,

I seen something today that Iran also launched a cyber attack on the US military tracking equipment at the same the missiles were launched, whether its true or not or if that's why they failed to intercept is anybody guess, again its not great advertisement for the patriot system

That also seems unlikely. Why would they give up their ace in the hole that would be then patched.

alastair wrote: »
    The US didn’t say 30 missiles were fired.

Iran did I'm just quoting Iranian military ,

Another roundabout but ,but

And demonstrating it was ineffective against these missiles.

• Advertisement

Iran said they didn't shoot down an airliner. Why don't you quote that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Sour grapes nothing more

I thought this link might be appropriate, it's from A B C News

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/iran-fired-20-24-missiles-us-targets-iraq/story?id=68149440

I saw some tracer fire in a unedited video, so the base defence reacted to incoming fire. I don't know if this base had Patriot systems?

This video has been confirmed to be real and was Iranian missiles hitting the Al Asad Iraqi/ US base. Shockwave frighting. IRGC launching the missiles from inside Iran also shown

If this Patriot system is their primary defense against missile attack then is it not strange if they are not deployed on US bases where there is even the possibility of an attack.

Let alone in Iraq where they knew the Iranians were more than highly likely to target a missile attack.

Might be what I saw, not sure- it was just a blob of red light fired up into the sky.

You’ve just claimed the US did too. And they did no such thing.

That also seems unlikely. Why would they give up their ace in the hole that would be then patched.

It came from one of the IRCG commanders, they've been known to hack US drones and launch cyber attacks against the US

You would lose who whole Iran being done with the situation thing and have them attacking other bases that have people.

If the intercepting system is as effective as some here were claiming then surely there would be little worry of that happening.
    The Iranians would hardly just keep firing missiles for the US to intercept.

If this Patriot system is their primary defense against missile attack then is it not strange if they are not deployed on US bases where there is even the possibility of an attack.

Let alone in Iraq where they knew the Iranians were more than highly likely to target a missile attack.

The Americans may have determined the Iranians would not have balls to attack their base with ballistic missiles. The bases merely have to deal with Iranian proxies firing rockets. Patriots are only used to defend against ballistic missile threats and aircraft.  The base may get an upgrade if they had no patriot system in place?

"Brig-Gen Hajizadeh also said that Iran had launched cyber attacks which had disabled US systems for tracking missiles during the strikes. However, US officials say casualties at the bases were prevented because early warning systems worked effectively."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51051826

There was another Iran/ rocket attack today, but I don't see the point posting about it when its regular occurrence nowadays. If it's serious and changes the situation on the ground, that's different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Read the drone that killed Solemani lifted off from this base. Was the drone pilot working from there? Iranians went after some constructions and equipment inside the base. I don't think we got the full picture of what they struck inside the base and US not going to tell us. 

Yea drove by there years ago on the way from rainbow canyon ( where I just got a glimpse of an f16 flying away from as I arrived ) and actually got pulled over by a cop for speeding!! Got chatting him and he was sound.... told him I had a massive interest in aircraft and was looking out for airbase there and hadn’t copped my speed... he said ya never know what u would see around here and said that a lot of the drones in Iraq and abroad controlled from there. He let me off and as I was following him on road he pulled into his police station right across from the airbase!! Think it was called Indian Springs or something like that

The Americans may have determined the Iranians would not have balls to attack their base with ballistic missiles. The bases merely have to deal with Iranian proxies firing rockets. Patriots are only used to defend against ballistic missile threats and aircraft. The base may get an upgrade if they had no patriot system in place?

You have bases in effectively a war zone.
    Where else is it more likely you would be targeted by ballistic missiles than in a war zone.
    I mean where else would you have an intercept system that would take priority :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

the base is a fairly large complex and yet they hit a few tents

I'll try again

A - the base was the target

B - the tents were on the base

C - the tents were hit so the target was hit

"Brig-Gen Hajizadeh also said that Iran had launched cyber attacks which had disabled US systems for tracking missiles during the strikes. However, US officials say casualties at the bases were prevented because early warning systems worked effectively."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51051826

Well the Iranian did phone ahead to let Iraq know when and where, so a good early warning system in that it was before any launches, so it looks as if the US early warning system was moot in real terms.

Well the Iranian did phone ahead to let Iraq know when and where, so a good early warning system in that it was before any launches, so it looks as if the US early warning system was moot in real terms.

My thoughts exactly

You have bases in effectively a war zone.
    Where else is it more likely you would be targeted by ballistic missiles than in a war zone.
    I mean where else would you have an intercept system that would take priority :confused:

Yes, but Iran and US are not formally at war. The killing of the general transformed everything. Pentagon planners would not have planned for strikes straight from Iran, maybe? They covering the base from threats inside Iraq. I just guessing really what took place because i have no inkling what anti- air defences are there. The Iranians  struck an Iraqi/ US base.

So if Iran hit this base without warning the Iraqi soldiers, it be a mess for them. Iran could have hit various US bases if their objectives was to cause US deaths. This strike was just done to demonstrate to the Americans they could- and will escalate to widespread strikes across the region if attacked.

Iran said they didn't shoot down an airliner. Why don't you quote that?

It's a lie.

I've quoted Iranians and being told it's lies depsite Iran publicly making the claims ,
    America lied about minimal damage and apparently there was no photos showing the damage in the dark ,but the daylight ones show the damage was clearly minimal (not sure looking at night images somehow would show major damage )

But hey what can you do

Yes, but Iran and US are not formally at war. The killing of the general transformed everything. Pentagon planners would not have planned for strikes straight from Iran, maybe? They covering the base from threats inside Iraq. I just guessing really what took place because i have no inkling what anti- air defences are there. The Iranians struck an Iraqi/ US base. So if Iran hit that base without warning the Iraqi soldiers it be a mess for them. Iran could have hit various US bases if their objectives was to cause US deaths. This strike was just done to demonstrate to the Americans they could- and will escalate to widespread strikes across the region if attacked.

From what we have been told the killing of General Soleimani was one of the options provided to Trump.
    Piss poor from the Pentagon if they presented that option without seeing the possibility of missile attacks.
    The Iranians were always going to warn Iraq of any strike in Iraq. Their aim is to get the US out of the region. With the Iraqi vote for them to leave they Iranians were not going to mess that up.
    They also got to look good to the Iraqis by doing what the US failed to do when killing Soleimani.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Boggles wrote: »
    That wouldn't be unusual or unprecedented.

Did you even read the article? It is.

Normally the investigation team involves the plane manufacturer, so to exclude Boeing is unprecedented.

• Advertisement

It's a lie.

I've quoted Iranians and being told it's lies depsite Iran publicly making the claims ,
    America lied about minimal damage and apparently there was no photos showing the damage in the dark ,but the daylight ones show the damage was clearly minimal (not sure looking at night images somehow would show major damage )

But hey what can you do

Iranian experts at the crash site or like yourself, of the armchair variety?

You do not to get over the fact that the Iranians hit what they aimed at, and worryingly I imagine for US troops and Arab states with US bases in the region none seem to have been intercepted.

Advertisement