Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US take out Suleimani - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 mickdoocey

charlie14 wrote: »
    I would wait for the report into the crash before speculating how that plane came down.

I do not see even if that was the case with the plane I don`t see how it takes away from Iran being able to demonstrate they can target and strike whatever they may feel like in the region.

its all but been confirmed now -
    this was Irans big show of power.
    I honestly believe they informed The US and Iraqis what they had planned and Iran had no intention of killing and maiming.
    This was to show to their own people and the world what they would do if provoked again.
    This was their big chance to show they were a serious power.
    And they made a complete balls of it by hitting the plane. They basically made themselves a laughing stock among real powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Gatling wrote: »
    I don't have to quote a full post neither does anyone else on boards ,

manners GTF

You are the only poster here I have ever seen do it continually attempting to avoid what was asked, or remove in reply what doesn`t fit your narrow narrative.

It makes you look like a petulant teenager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

mickdoocey wrote: »
    I honestly believe they informed The US and Iraqis what they had planned and Iran had no intention of killing and maiming.
    This was to show to their own people and the world what they would do if provoked again.
    And they made a complete balls of it by hitting the plane. They basically made themselves a laughing stock among real powers.

If that's the case Iran should hold their hand up and say we did it, but Trump doesn't get a free pass either stoking tensions in the region that contributed to this and of course its civilians that die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

Mick we know the Iranians hit more than ground we have some pictures. They clearly took out a large structure here. It completely demolished.

499626.png

499627.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

alastair wrote: »
    Well you were wrong then, and you’re just as wrong now.

Let them believe what they like. The experts see it differently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Amazing if true. The Iranian revenge attempt killed a pile of Iranians and no Americans. Trump and Trudeau trying to play this down making it clear that it was unintentional. The whole thing is like something from an Austin Powers film. Hard to believe all of this is real.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You are the only poster here I have ever seen do it

Your wrong about that .

Don't come here it's a gentleman's club and we don't do that we, use the queen's English only with proper punctuation.

Welcome to boards a discussion forum where nobody tells another poster what and how to post ,

Honestly wtaf

If that's the case Iran should hold their hand up and say we did it, but Trump doesn't get a free pass either stoking tensions in the region that contributed to this and of course its civilians that die.

this plane crash has nothing to do with Donald trump and to suggest he contributed makes no sense.

trump killed a terrorist by drone - should he or not is a debate but he still killed a murderer.

iran shot down a plane and killed innocent people

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Perhaps we should wait until it`s is confirmed or not ?

I don`t see where your second point is going.
    If hitting US bases with missiles was their main aim to show their own people and the world they were a serious power, then did they not achieve just that ?

Would you say the US were a laughing stock for bringing down a passenger plane with 290 on board when they shot down an Airbus thinking it was an F14 Tomcat ?

jackboy wrote: »
    Amazing if true. The Iranian revenge attempt killed a pile of Iranians and no Americans. Trump and Trudeau trying to play this down making it clear that it was unintentional. The whole thing is like something from an Austin Powers film. Hard to believe all of this is real.

I am just saying what I think, but it is bizarre enough to be true.
    I don't think iran and the us want a war and both are in agreement.

I heard trump say today he thought the plane crash was an accident and I sensed disappointment in his voice - before the crash this was a win for him and the Iranian leaders, then they effed it up by actually killing innocent people.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,590 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This thread is probably going to die a death now as the following posters are threadbanned for ignoring a number of warnings
    alastair wrote: »
    If you can park your hissy fit and wild accusations, you’d recognise that this does the same job as the predator drone. Remotely controlled missile platform controlled by an operator in a remote location via satellite.
    Iran said they didn't shoot down an airliner. Why don't you quote that?
    markodaly wrote: »
    Did you even read the article? It is.

Normally the investigation team involves the plane manufacturer, so to exclude Boeing is unprecedented.
    Will you go away r that.

You haven`t a clue on precedent in these situations.

The Iranian Civil Aviation Authority have issued a statement on the procedures they are following, and they are by the letter international agreed protocols covering these situations
    Gatling wrote: »
    There lying ,

They lied about the technical difficulties ,
    They lied about the engine fire
    They lied about the aircraft flying back to the airport
    They lied about the missile .

And yet here we are running around in circles making up this **** trying to spin it and claim a simple explanation .

It's over there is no excuse ,no hiding no technical difficulties ,no engine fire ,no returning to the airport ,
    It's all lies,

Iranian military shotdown flight 752
    for me iran made a big fatal error.
    if the plan was to show the world that they could hit any target they wanted in the middle east - bases, cities , they ruined the whole objective by downing a passenger airline leaving an airport.
    its embarrassing stuff and makes the Iranian army look like a bunch of amateurs
    I never seen a plane fly at night without light and beacons flashing. That whatever is come up and exploded in darkness.
    If its plane it went dark and was a UFO on the radar screen.
    If that truly is the missile hitting the plane- it was an unfortunate set of circumstances that got shot down.
    We have to hear what pilot said before it crashed, did he lose power?

Of course you are not (yet anyway) banned from the thread about the plane crash, but that seems to be the only thing most of you are discussing anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,529 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It's amazing how one man's death can cause so much chaos. Its as if governments do not learn from history!!!

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It is all over for now. All agreed.

Go to bed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Gerry T

I might get one of the last posts so !
    If we look at this another way. In an alternative world Russia has just fired a drone and successfully killed the terrorist Trump who is the leader of a terrorist regime that goes around the world killing people and claiming they are the saviours of democracy.
    If that happened then we would have WW3, the gun happy USA would be firing back at Russia, Iran were very measured in their response and the tactical approach totally defused the situation.
    It really is such a pity that plane was hit/crashed, we will know what happened in the coming days but it really did tarnish Iran's response. But if that plane was shot down lets not be fooled by what the cause was, a rogue USA deciding unilaterally to fire drones into a country the other side of the planet.
    A WW3 could wipe humanity out, no country should take a first strike without facing severe sanctions, we really do need to put countries like USA on a short leash.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,529 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Beasty about the airstrike the thread!

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

MadYaker wrote: »
    The primary and only US strategy in the region is securing their cheap supply of crude oil that their economy and society is built on. Everything they do can be traced back to that. If they cared about human rights they’d have nothing to do with the likes Saudi Arabia where women are second class citizens owned by their husbands and homosexuality’s is illegal.

The US is actually quite self sufficient in oil. I don't see how the US had actually taken over Iraqi oilfields either.

The problem the US have with Iran is because of Israel and how Iran wants to destroy it. The US had a huge Jewish political influence driving their foreign policy there, much like The influence we enjoy there.

If your logic was correct then they'd be insisting on the Saudis having WMDs so they can invade and certainly the US does not own Aramco.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Gerry T wrote: »
    I might get one of the last posts so !
    If we look at this another way. In an alternative world Russia has just fired a drone and successfully killed the terrorist Trump who is the leader of a terrorist regime that goes around the world killing people and claiming they are the saviours of democracy.
    If that happened then we would have WW3, the gun happy USA would be firing back at Russia, Iran were very measured in their response and the tactical approach totally defused the situation.
    It really is such a pity that plane was hit/crashed, we will know what happened in the coming days but it really did tarnish Iran's response. But if that plane was shot down lets not be fooled by what the cause was, a rogue USA deciding unilaterally to fire drones into a country the other side of the planet.
    A WW3 could wipe humanity out, no country should take a first strike without facing severe sanctions, we really do need to put countries like USA on a short leash.

Not like for like... trump is the president of the USA.... the guy that the US killed was the military leader, not the president of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Gerry T

LillySV wrote: »
    Not like for like... trump is the president of the USA.... the guy that the US killed was the military leader, not the president of the country
    Technically your correct but he's not "just" a military leader, how many military leaders in the USA that died would have a funeral like his. Soleimani was a national hero, the example still stands. Your deflecting from the point of my post, Iran is being painted as some sort of out of control terrorist ridden country. There is some truth in that but their actions in this matter is more measured and controlled that the USA. So what is your view on the USA tramping around the world dishing out it's own version if justice unilaterally. Should the world stand by and let this continue. Trump being such a loose canon makes this a tinder box in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Gerry T wrote: »
    Technically your correct but he's not "just" a military leader, how many military leaders in the USA that died would have a funeral like his. Soleimani was a national hero, the example still stands. Your deflecting from the point of my post, Iran is being painted as some sort of out of control terrorist ridden country. There is some truth in that but their actions in this matter is more measured and controlled that the USA. So what is your view on the USA tramping around the world dishing out it's own version if justice unilaterally. Should the world stand by and let this continue. Trump being such a loose canon makes this a tinder box in my opinion.

We don’t know what their intelligence service know ... they have taken care of the western world for last no of decades and if **** hit the fan over here, they would have our back, and that has to be respected

I’m not too fond of their friendship with Saudi Arabia though.... not a good thing.. terrible human rights atrocities there... and don’t forget ... majority of guys that caused 911 were from there... yet the last plane allowed leave was a Saudi plane! Very weird

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭volchitsa

We don’t know what their intelligence service know ... they have taken care of the western world for last no of decades and if **** hit the fan over here, they would have our back, and that has to be respected

I’m not too fond of their friendship with Saudi Arabia though.... not a good thing.. terrible human rights atrocities there... and don’t forget ... majority of guys that caused 911 were from there... yet the last plane allowed leave was a Saudi plane! Very weird
    Actually with Trump we really don't know that. He's almost smashed the UN because, well who knows why really. Money of course but it seems to be more than that, it seems to be a refusal to take on any obligations, except the ones he gets paid for. Like Saudi Arabia, where he was boasting about sending American troops out there because the Saudis were paying for it.

I wonder will the parents of any young Americans killed out in Yemen or Saudi or wherever feel a bit better because the expedition wasn't about principles but about money, and wasn't costing the US taxpayer anything?

• Advertisement

It's so telling that trump's initial tweet was "it's alright" and he actually used the quotes.
    Must have been for the first time ever.

Had Americans died then we'd have seen stealth bombers over Iran and there is SFA that they could have done about that.

Close call.
    Unfortunate about the downing of the airline, the Iranians, knowing that they tipped off the Iraqis were probably waiting for those stealth bombers and trigger happy in the chance they might get one to show that they could attack but respond to a counter attack

In all the time the UK was being bombed by the IRA, they never said once that they would close off tranquil or the CTA to the Irish.

Similarity much?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Fonny122

If you ever wanted to see a social media troll factory/bot network in action, go here and select 'sort by new'. Be quick though, since the wave will die down in the next hour or so.

https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/emig3q/megathread_the_us_house_of_representatives/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If Obama had ordered the hit on Suleimani I wonder how much noise there would have been. F*ck all is my guess. Its simply a manifestation of anti-Trump feeling, which i do understand btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

President Obama ordered the killing of a US citizen without trial by drone and there was less outrage.

President Obama ordered the killing of a US citizen without trial by drone and there was less outrage.
    No fears of WW3

If Obama had ordered the hit on Suleimani I wonder how much noise there would have been. F*ck all is my guess. Its simply a manifestation of anti-Trump feeling, which i do understand btw.
    Interesting that you mention that, becauseTrump killed that guys eight year old daughter. Who was also an American. By drone strike.

If what you are saying is true, then an exponentially bigger deal would have been made out of this than Obama's. Yet neither of you seem to even have been aware of it despite being very aware if the Obama incident, as I would imagine the vast majority in this thread are.

Added to the sheer extra amount of attention that drone strikes got when Obama was in office vs Trump (despite them actually increasing under Trump), the arguments each of you are trying to make doesn't seem to hold much weight in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

No fears of WW3
    There sure wasnt. Outside media hysterics obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Fonny122 wrote: »
    Interesting that you mention that, becauseTrump killed that guys eight year old daughter. Who was also an American. By drone strike.

If what you are saying is true, then an exponentially bigger deal would have been made out of this than Obama's. Yet neither of you seem to even have been aware of it despite being very aware if the Obama incident, as I would imagine the vast majority in this thread are.

Added to the sheer extra amount of attention that drone strikes got when Obama was in office vs Trump (despite them actually increasing under Trump), the arguments each of you are trying to make doesn't seem to hold much weight in this instance.

The comparison here is the reaction of Congress to the killing of a US citizen without trial (independent of who is the president) and the killing of a member of a terrorist organizations who happens also to be a member of a foreign government.

And giving the precedent set by President Obama’s order even the current Congress could not make a big deal out of any further incidents.

And that is the danger of the current actions by congress and President, once the power balance changes these precedents will come back and used in reverse.

• Advertisement

The comparison here is the reaction of Congress to the killing of a US citizen without trial (independent of who is the president) and the killing of a member of a terrorist organizations who happens also to be a member of a foreign government.
    Ah ok then, I must have misread your post and conflated it as being the same just as the other one I quoted.

Advertisement