Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US take out Suleimani - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Ashamed that I am right?

Concerned for your mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Ironicname wrote: »
    He did good for once. Acknowledge it

They'll not acknowledge anything good that Trump does even if he gets another four years. Booming US economy, NASDAQ records, Job Growth, doesn't matter, that just has them wishing for a recession.

They pearl clutch for three years about election meddling but when it comes out that it was in fact the left who were guilty of that, including Obama's DOJ, they ignore it, which just shows that they never cared about that to begin with.

Sure if they can't give him credit for taking out the leader of ISIS they never will. In fact the MSM actly similarly when he died with regards to them doing their best to make it look as if Trump was responsible for killing someone who was actually a decent person beneath it all. Aside from the mass murder and all that.

wapo77.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Your posts read like someone who has just been extracted from a cult. I have been genuinely wondering how you became so indoctrinated. Do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,592 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Why? Because you can't admit that you are a hypocrite?

They'll not acknowledge anything good that Trump does even if he gets another four years. Booming US economy, NASDAQ records, Job Growth, doesn't matter, that just has them wishing for a recession.

They pearl clutch for three years about election meddling but when it comes out that it was in fact the left who were guilty of that, including Obama's DOJ, they ignore it, which just shows that they never cared about that to begin with.

Sure if they can't give him credit for taking out the leader of ISIS they never will. In fact the MSM actly similarly when he died with regards to them doing their best to make it look as if Trump was responsible for killing someone who was actually a decent person beneath it all. Aside from the mass murder and all that.
    Hilarious. That headline was actually genuine. Pic looks like a bad photoshop so I assumed it was made up.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50205592

It trended on social media with people lampooning it

"Adolf Hitler, dedicated art enthusiast, animal rights activist, and talented orator, dies at 56"

"Ted Bundy, meticulous researcher, charismatic figure, and Polaroid enthusiast, dead at 42"

However it's hardly representative of the mainstream media and I think you read your own narrative into it. It's one wackjob editor in one paper that immediately apologised and changed the headline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

But I thought this was about America trying to bring freedom to the oppressed people:confused:

Palestinians though don't qualify for this Yankee freedom stuff...they can be shot by the thousands when they protest, and America even supplies the bullets.

I think Waterford Whispers summoned it all up "the middle east is a place where America goes to take a sh1t".

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I agree and there has never been more awareness of that than now. I can guarantee you that after Trump's eight years a hell of a lot less money will have found it's way into Terrorist's hands than it did under almost any US administration over the last 50+ years.

i certainly hope you are right, however trump is the gift that keeps on giving and not in a good way, so unfortunately it is not possible for me to believe that this will turn out to be the case.
    You have got to be joking.

From Oct 2017, making the case for tearing up the deal:

no .
    there is no doubt assad is a creten but he is the legitimate leader of syria currently, unfortunately. and not to mention the US and their support for isis.
    if trump wishes not to appease expansionist states then he needs to tell israel off but he won't do it.
    So we're told, from people who have been lying for three years about Trump in almost every way imaginable.

what lies have they told about trump?
    trump hasn't delivered any of his promises either.
    Which is why Trump wants out. That, however, does not mean that he should just tolerate American's being killed, and he won't. Obama/Hillary he ain't.

yet he threatened sanctions against iraq if the government asked his military to leave, something they have a legitimate right to do especially given the parliament voted for that to happen.
    How come this 'but that's war' philosophy of yours doesn't extend to Suleimani?

because no war has been declared against iran, and it is apparently against international law to go around killing officials from countries in other countries.
    Oh please, they made the comparisons to undermine the current administration and feed the nauseating narrative that Trump took out someone of that calibre. That's the implication they were attempting to make. They certainly didn't fawn over similar footage of crowds mourning OBL that's for damn sure.

come on now pete, the current US administration is undermining itself all by itself.
    it doesn't need posters on boards.ie, the left, the msn or anyone else to help it on that score.
    Ah here. Iran CONSTANTLY pretend to be something they are not. That's why they control access to the Internet. Why are you speaking about that regime in that way?

they don't though pete.
    everyone knows exactly what type of regime they are.
    the regime doesn't pretend to be anything other then the cretens they are.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Why? Because you can't admit that you are a hypocrite?

Better than a do nothing who'd rather watch someone scream than do something.
    It's not the victim being tortured that hurts the most it's the bystander doing nothing to help.

I think that the Iranian general should have been taken out because he was agitating for attacks against troops who were fighting for a world I want to live in.

I won't apologise for that.

they were not fighting for a world we want to live in. they were fighting for oil and the government's own interests.
    i'm sure some of them may believe they were fighting for freedom and democracy as that is probably what they were told but make no mistake, such has not been delivered, and barely anyone buys that rubbish now.
    even if this chap was agitating for attacks on US and other troops in iraq, they invaded in the first place.
    If Obama did it, I would commend it. Because trump did it, I won't condemn it.

it doesn't matter who did it, it achieved absolutely nothing good.
    it created the conditions where a civilian air liner was shot out of the sky and a country is more volitile then ever. understandibly so, tbh.
    it has also potentially caused the ending of the friendship between iraq and the US, or at least severely strained it.
    It was the right thing to do.

clearly not.
    The ****ing weird pricks that would choose to condemn trump for the sake of him being who he is?

nope, comdemning him because he was wrong.
    if i agree with something trump does or says then i am not afraid to do so and i will do so.
    He did good for once. Acknowledge it

he fcuked up, and very badly this time.

they were not fighting for a world we want to live in. they were fighting for oil and the government's own interests.
    i'm sure some of them may believe they were fighting for freedom and democracy as that is probably what they were told but make no mistake, such has not been delivered, and barely anyone buys that rubbish now.
    even if this chap was agitating for attacks on US and other troops in iraq, they invaded in the first place.

it doesn't matter who did it, it achieved absolutely nothing good.
    it created the conditions where a civilian air liner was shot out of the sky and a country is more volitile then ever. understandibly so, tbh.
    it has also potentially caused the ending of the friendship between iraq and the US, or at least severely strained it.

clearly not.

nope, comdemning him because he was wrong.
    if i agree with something trump does or says then i am not afraid to do so and i will do so.

he fcuked up, and very badly this time.

Are we living on the same planet, it's one thing hating Trump but calling it a **** up is downright insanity.
    Are you even watching what's happening in Iran right now...it's a country on the brink of freedom.

https://twitter.com/mobarez_nastooh/status/1216464783647617026?s=20

https://twitter.com/IranMomentum/status/1216469597806825478?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

It seems we are living in a pro or anti trump world.

I guarantee if any other president had done what trump did, people would find the good in it.

It is very easy to pick moral holes in any act by any president.

I happen to think that trump made a good call on this one.

I'm not blinded by political bias, but instead on judging what I think was right.

Are we living on the same planet, it's one thing hating Trump but calling it a **** up is downright insanity.
    Are you even watching what's happening in Iran right now...it's a country on the brink of freedom.

https://twitter.com/mobarez_nastooh/status/1216464783647617026?s=20

https://twitter.com/IranMomentum/status/1216469597806825478?s=20

i don't hate trump, i think he is a joke and an idiot but i don't hate him.
    sorry but iran is no more on the verge of freedom then saudi is .

I guarantee if any other president had done what trump did, people would find the good in it.

I'm not blinded by political bias, but instead on judging what I think was right.

so no different to the rest of us then.
    sure, many of us do not like trump, but that is separate to this particular act.

Better than a do nothing who'd rather watch someone scream than do something.
    It's not the victim being tortured that hurts the most it's the bystander doing nothing to help.

I have fought in a war, have you?

Nonsense. Obama was widely criticised for his use of drone strikes. Never heard anyone describe finding good in them.

A lot of people back Trump no matter what. I think that's unusual and I find it puzzling.

The great water balloon battle of 96?

The great water balloon battle of 96?

Iraq 1991, what's your war experience? Once did an 18 hour shift on call of duty?

Not sure why am either bothering, you have already proven yourself to be a hypocrite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Nonsense. Obama was widely criticised for his use of drone strikes. Never heard anyone describe finding good in them.

A lot of people back Trump no matter what. I think that's unusual and I find it puzzling.

A lot of people backed Obama no matter what aswell. It's not unique to Trump.

In what capacity?

I'm involved in the war on antimicrobial resistance. Does that count?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Gerry T

The debate if Soleimani was a terrorist or a beloved leader is beside the point I think. The worrying action is a country thinking it is the global defender of democracy and goes around invading countries and killing people. Helping one side or another to suit what it see's as the righteous side, imposing a new regeim to control or lead that country.
    This has to stop, no country should be allowed to do this, the UN should make these decisions. Of the 195 countries in the world only 2 are not members (the holy see and palestine). Difficult to administer but the current way is crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

I’ve been traveling to Washington, DC and out of the loop here for several days. Have they the proof, YET, that Trump was actually the one who pressed the button sending the missile off to take out the airline?

One thing I found interesting in DC is the political media on the radio suffers from apparent terminal Trump Derangement Syndrome.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

notobtuse wrote: »
    I’ve been traveling to Washington, DC and out of the loop here for several days. Have they the proof, YET, that Trump was actually the one who pressed the button sending the missile off to take out the airline?

One thing I found interesting in DC is the political media on the radio suffers from apparent terminal Trump Derangement Syndrome.

They haven't shown any proof that Soleimani pushed any buttons or actually killed any americans himself, he was still illegally assassinated.

They haven't shown any proof that Soleimani pushed any buttons or actually killed any americans himself, he was still illegally assassinated.

What proof do you require and what proof of classified information should be made public?

It's a crazy world we live in that during Trump's administration (where he arguably shares TOO much on social media) we seemingly need complete transparency yet former presidents transgressions are ignored/not followed up on.

Fair enough.

No, he was judiciously eliminated.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

No, he was judiciously eliminated.

Illegally assassinated is the correct term, a dangerous precedent has bow been set by Trump and his hawks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

100% It was the illegal murder of an accredited diplomat of a sovereign UN member state.

Illegally assassinated is the correct term, a dangerous precedent has bow been set by Trump and his hawks.
    You say popoto, I say potato.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't drones the preferred choice of method to take out bad guys by that Obama guy? I remember hearing some token criticism at the time, but nothing like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't drones the preferred choice of method to take out bad guys by that Obama guy? I remember hearing some token criticism at the time, but nothing like this.

Depends on the circles you walk in. My friends were all firm Obama supporters, and also fiercely critical of drone strikes in countries the US was not at war with. I don't recall, however, Obama assassinating a political leader and member of a nation's government without being at war with that nation. With a missile. At a civilian airport. Within the borders of an ally.

As monstrous as Suleimani's actions were in furthering Iran's influence in the ME, that's a dangerous precedent to set and a serious escalation of US militaristic action.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Dytalus wrote: »
    Depends on the circles you walk in. My friends were all firm Obama supporters, and also fiercely critical of drone strikes in countries the US was not at war with. I don't recall, however, Obama assassinating a political leader and member of a nation's government without being at war with that nation. With a missile. At a civilian airport. Within the borders of an ally.

As monstrous as Suleimani's actions were in furthering Iran's influence in the ME, that's a dangerous precedent to set and a serious escalation of US militaristic action.

while the person assasinated was on a diplomatic mission.

• Advertisement

You ever see me laud Obama? Care to show me a single post where I praise him? Obama isnt in office Trump is, Obama hasn't set this dangerous new precedent Trump has.

Advertisement