Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US take out Suleimani - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Great start for the oil companies probably.

Well Putin will be happy, Russia needs oil prices to rise. Probably send Donnie a memo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

The US are going to pay for that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭circadian

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    Iran is a much different animal than anything the yanks have fought in decades. They are a formidable enemy and not to be confused with the likes of Iraq or Syria.

America will stand alone in this one as Trump has made enemies out if allies with all the tariff stuff over the past few years and I cant see the British getting involved with the whole Brexit thing. The last thing they need is a war.

Very worrying times ahead.

I think the British are the only ones likely to get dragged into this specifically because of Brexit. Trump has them over a barrel for trade deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

The pentagon will not stop it's military crusade in the middle East until Iran is bombed back into the stone age, all at the behest of the Israelis and the Saudis. Because they have the biggest military. Don't underestimate the number of people employed by the military industrial complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I think a ground war in Iran is very unlikely and would be a catastrophe for the US, I think this is the start of a tit for tat airstrikes war between US and Iran, Iran have a lot of capabilities to inflict damage on the US so buckle up folks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,662 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think a ground war in Iran is very unlikely and would be a catastrophe for the US, I think this is the start of a tit for tat airstrikes war between US and Iran, Iran have a lot of capabilities to inflict damage on the US so buckle up folks

Does it?

Not US soil though?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

You got to love the parochial nature of the Irish media with both RTE and Newstalk taking the sad death of Marian Finucane as their main topic. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Field east

NIMAN wrote: »
    Other than the price of oil rocketing, how is this going to affect us in Ireland?
    I'm guessing not at all.

Plus, how are Iran going to have a war with the US? Its not like they can have a land battle, so surely sponsoring terrorist attacks on US targets is all they can do?

A number of individual cells - sleepers- based on American soil / near American bases over a number of years could create a lot of trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 18,591 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

A pretty major escalation which could lead to dire consequences. What is going on in this world?

Trump wants a war so he’s going out kicking wasp nests to get a response. Then he can kick the military bandwagon into gear and the rich in America sure do well out of that.
    It will give his redneck chest thumping followers something to brag about and keeps him too dog in their narrow minds with an election looming.

It detracts from all the other stupid stuff he’s doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Did the Iranians think that an American president would just leave its staff and military personnel to die in an American embassy and those responsible for the attack would not be held to account?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I think America made a mistake doing that, a lot of lives will be lost when Iran or it's proxy's take revenge for it. His forces played a big part in the defeat of Isis in Iraq . I doubt the Iranians will take that lying down. Anyway there's an election this year and ya know how " patriotic " Americans get when it comes to war. Maybe Trump's hoping they retaliate, so he can show how tough he is like he did during his bone spur days in Vietnam .

But wasn’t the Vietnam war bad? Didn’t Ali become a hero for refusing to fight?

Anything that moves on the ground will get hit. Other than closing off the straits of Hormuz how are the Iranians supposed to take on vastly superior forces? Don't fall for the propoganda about Iranian forces being any kind of threat. Significant American ground troops will never be in involved in Iran. 1000s of American missiles would destroy most infrastructure including oil refineries, power stations, water treatment plants etc. The yanks, Saudis and Israelis are hell bent on destroying Iran.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Does it?

Not US soil though?

In an all out war they could, for example what if China decides to sell them their drones then America is in for a rude awekening

• Registered Users Posts: 33,662 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The US are going to pay for that one!

How exactly?

I remember back in the Iraq war days, we were told the same, how hundreds of thousands of US troops would be sent back in bodybags.....and it lasted what? A week or two with little or no resistance.

I'm just wondering how Iran will strike back at the US in this case?
    No doubt there might be the odd terrorist attack against US targets, but in the great scheme of things, the US has the potential to do a lot more damage to Iran than vice versa.
    If anything, terror attacks killing a dozen or two will get Trump more support for future actions.

Unless other more knowledgeable folk can shed some light on what I'm missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

_Brian wrote: »
    Trump wants a war so he’s going out kicking wasp nests to get a response. Then he can kick the military bandwagon into gear and the rich in America sure do well out of that.
    It will give his redneck chest thumping followers something to brag about and keeps him too dog in their narrow minds with an election looming.

It detracts from all the other stupid stuff he’s doing.

He was odds on to win a second term before this move. The only thing narrow-minded has been the Democrats contempt for democracy the last 4yrs. Have you thought of a career with CNN that's proper conspiracy theory stuff right there.

Israel shouts and the American president says how high. Therein lies the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

In an all out war they could, for example what if China decides to sell them their drones then America is in for a rude awekening

That couldn't happen without it being seen as an act of war by China and if that happened, we'd all be in for a rude awakening.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 cosybeach

They just martyred a true gentleman not... he has more blood on hands including his own people

also killed Jamal Jafaar Ibrahimi the mastermind behind bombings in Kuwait during the 80s inc American embassy

Recent attacks in Iraq by Iranian proxies on US interests shouldn't be tolerated Iran is a nation run by fanatics and a threat to world order

GooglePlus wrote: »
    That couldn't happen without it being seen as an act of war by China and if that happened, we'd all be in for a rude awakening.

No it wouldn't, it s a proxy, it happens all the time. US is scared stiff of China

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

The world's biggest war mongers are at it again. Europe always gets the blow back from this ****.

Looking at responses to his latest tweet is just ridiculous.

• Advertisement

cosybeach wrote: »
    They just martyred a true gentleman not... he has more blood on hands including his own people

also killed Jamal Jafaar Ibrahimi the mastermind behind bombings in Kuwait during the 80s inc American embassy

Recent attacks in Iraq by Iranian proxies on US interests shouldn't be tolerated Iran is a nation run by fanatics and a threat to world order

Here we go, that didn't take long. Name a country in the last 50 years, other than the US, which has more blood on their hands and has been responsible for death and destruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

"So what I'm gonna do is p1ss and moan like an impotent jerk and then bend over and take it up the tailpipe!"

Jim Carrey in 'Liar Liar', or basically Iran today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

I wish America would just stop antagonist behavior in Europe/Middle East. They have a hand in every skirmish, causing fear, refugees and death, and it’s Europe’s problem to deal with the fall out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

Couldn't believe the news when I clicked onto it this morning. Then again, should I be surprised the way things have been going?

I don't see Iran sitting back and taking this lightly and it very well could turn into a full scale war. Hopefully not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,526 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

So this the American response to the storming of the embassy. Seems a tad dramatic.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

cosybeach wrote: »

No it wouldn't, it s a proxy, it happens all the time. US is scared stiff of China

Exactly the Chinese would love to bleed the Americans a bit especially after all the sanctions.

Again on reflection an hour after first reading about this assassination an incredibly stupid and reckless action by the US. It proves that there is an urgent need for regime change in Washington.

Iran is a dangerous nation regionally but the biggest threat to world peace is America and it has been for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Wars can make people seem strong especially in an election year. Drone strikes/helicopters not so much. Doesn't seem too well thought-out and more like opportunistic whispering from Pompeo. Iran can respond in many ways and probably not immediately, however anything they do can make him look "decisive" and "brave". I'd imagine they'd also have half an eye on November and a possible Trump exit. It will be an interesting year.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Wars can make people seem strong especially in an election year. Drone strikes/helicopters not so much. Doesn't seem too well thought-out and more like opportunistic whispering from Pompeo. Iran can respond in many ways and probably not immediately, however anything they do can make him look "decisive" and "brave". I'd imagine they'd also have half an eye on November and a possible Trump exit. It will be an interesting year.

Well the driver of this will be how the Suleimani assassination is perceived internally in Iran by ordinary Iranians. If he is popular with them then the regime will have to react with a very public demonstration of their sovereignty and if I had any relatives serving in a US Navy vessel based in the Strait of Hormuz I'd be very nervous.

From reading Twitter the MAGA muppets are almost masturbating with happiness at this development.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Looking at the comments under Donald's tweet....the yanks really are a bat sh!t crazy race of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Republicans like starting a war before elections so they guarantee another term in office

Advertisement