Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US take out Suleimani - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

Iranians are extremely well educated. Especially in quantitative and scientific fields. Maths/engineering etc. Granted, it is always the smarter ones who get the opportunity to travel abroad for education so there will be a bit of a bias.

You are right about the education, but the problem is finding work when you have your degree etc. In Iran, there is a huge population bulge of people between the ages of 18- 36, with out much in the way of employment prospects, This time has been growing steadily over the years, an only for the hard crackdown on any dissent, the regime would have been changed a long time ago. It was building up to change presently, but now after the death of Suilimani, hard to know where it will go.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Don't like this thread being left on post 666. Now 667

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

I've met many Iranians here in Ireland and they are amongst the most happy and friendliest people you'll ever meet. Great craic too and super intelligent.

They're careful not too say too much about what's going on back in Iran but the religious zealouts make life very difficult for the young people back home. They enjoy life as normal like the rest of us however most would have extended family members such as Uncle's or older cousins who would be quite extreme so have to be careful when they go back home.

Another huge issue you hear from them is the level of pollution in the cities is extremely bad. So bad in some cases you can't leave the house some days.

I really feel for them and what they seeing is happening to their country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Any attack in the US by Iran will be presented as meeting conditions of Article 5.

If Article 5 is invoked, does that mean that other NATO members have no option but to get involved in a war if America asks?

I would imagine quite a few NATO members would like to stay well clear of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Amazing how people stick to their political side like football teams. I've no interest in foreign politics or take heed of any of the ww3 scaremongering, but if Obama had done this the same people going over trump doing it would be saying it's a great thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

US2 wrote: »
    Amazing how people stick to their political side like football teams. I've no interest in foreign politics or take heed of any of the ww3 scaremongering, but if Obama had done this the same people going over trump doing it would be saying it's a great thing.

Obama didn't do it though. He signed a deal with Iran so your point is moot.

Why would Obama kill a high ranking official of another country without telling any of his allies or even informing anyone in Congress.

If Obama did this Republicans and the US media would be calling for immediate impeachment and removal from office.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭joeysoap

If he was so ‘ high’ up in the Iranian military what was he doing in Iraq?

What are Iraqis doing about Iranian attack on the Baghdad Embassy?

I’m confused, it’s not that long ago these two countries were knocking 6 bells out of each other. Is the Iraqi army totally impotent now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

If Article 5 is invoked, does that mean that other NATO members have no option but to get involved in a war if America asks?

If you google Article 5 and go to the NATO site you will find it is explained there.

I think they would too but they would have to weigh up the consequences with Trump who has already cast doubt on whether he would honour it for Europe.

I expect Putin will be hoping it would not be honoured by some European states now or Trump later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

rossie1977 wrote: »

Why would Obama kill a high ranking official of another country without telling any of his allies or even informing anyone in Congress.

If Obama did this Republicans and the US media would be calling for immediate impeachment and removal from office.

Haha you make it sound like trump operates the drones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

Rockets are now striking two USA bases in Baghdād.  Perhaps the opening volley of an uprising. I speculate this to be a long drawn out attack to get US forces out of Iraq?  Iran big attack likely still in the works. 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

joeysoap wrote: »

I’m confused, it’s not that long ago these two countries were knocking 6 bells out of each other. Is the Iraqi army totally impotent now?

Religious affiliations trump lines on a map in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭RoryMac

rossie1977 wrote: »

I heard a few reports yesterday that Obama had solid plans to kill the same guy but delays let the guy slip through the net so seems Obama at least considered doing the same thing. Obama had no issues giving a green light to an operation into Pakistan without their advance knowledge to take out Bin Laden.

The republicans might have kicked up a fuss but it would be just playing politics, both democrats & republicans have carried out these operations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

RoryMac wrote: »
    I heard a few reports yesterday that Obama had solid plans to kill the same guy but delays let the guy slip through the net so seems Obama at least considered doing the same thing. Obama had no issues giving a green light to an operation into Pakistan without their advance knowledge to take out Bin Laden.

The republicans might have kicked up a fuss but it would be just playing politics, both democrats & republicans have carried out these operations

The Brittish apparently had an opportunity also but decided against it as they couldn't fully gauge the level of blow back from it.

Obama really was weak on foreign policy. Another 'red line' crossed probably but little or no action taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Its funny that most of these chicken hawks making these decisions that will put American military personnel in huge danger and lead to some of there deaths are all draft dodgers. How many tours did Donald Trump do in Vietnam or the Middle East?

Katyusha rockets have struck the Baghdad green zone and Balad Air Base. Looks to be just a low level proxy attack at the moment. But the US considers all these attacks as an undertaking to kill US soldiers. Iraqi Hezbollah has released an announcement for all Iraq forces to leave the US bases by Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

RoryMac wrote: »
    I heard a few reports yesterday that Obama had solid plans to kill the same guy but delays let the guy slip through the net.

Have you any links to sources for this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

jmreire wrote: »
    Iranians are extremely well educated. Especially in quantitative and scientific fields. Maths/engineering etc. Granted, it is always the smarter ones who get the opportunity to travel abroad for education so there will be a bit of a bias.

You are right about the education, but the problem is finding work when you have your degree etc. In Iran, there is a huge population bulge of people between the ages of 18- 36, with out much in the way of employment prospects, This time has been growing steadily over the years, an only for the hard crackdown on any dissent, the regime would have been changed a long time ago. It was building up to change presently, but now after the death of Suilimani, hard to know where it will go.

That's mad. Someone deleted my original post. Are Mossad hacking boards.ie and taking down any posts that could be anyway positive about Iran or Iranians? :pac:

I hardly offended anyone by saying Iranians are well educated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Rumour has it that Iran are prepared to unleash their most fearsome, secret weapon on the US....

DgOhLWdX0AAZNgh.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Anyone else get the stuff on WhatsApp showing what was left of the two lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    If you google Article 5 and go to the NATO site you will find it is explained there.

I think they would too but they would have to weigh up the consequences with Trump who has already cast doubt on whether he would honour it for Europe.

I expect Putin will be hoping it would not be honoured by some European states now or Trump later.

I understand the basic concept of article 5, but wasn't sure if other members were obliged to take part, or if they had the option to take no action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Anything that moves on the ground will get hit. Other than closing off the straits of Hormuz how are the Iranians supposed to take on vastly superior forces? Don't fall for the propoganda about Iranian forces being any kind of threat. Significant American ground troops will never be in involved in Iran. 1000s of American missiles would destroy most infrastructure including oil refineries, power stations, water treatment plants etc. The yanks, Saudis and Israelis are hell bent on destroying Iran.

Deliberately destroying power stations and water treatment plants are war crimes, so yes, the Saudi’s and the Israelis would be quite good at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bigboldworld

I pray that there isn’t a war or further escalation but that seems inevitable now the Iranians cannot sit back their people won’t allow it, Trump has been a disaster for the world, history will judge him as that a complete disaster, a loud mouth morally bankrupt man which nothing seems to stick to, the teflon president, he can get away with whatever he wants unfortunately, his followers are blind and would excuse him of anything, it’s depressing to think this is the thing they put in charge, can only hope he doesn’t get a second term.

No, Article 5 of the NATO treaty obliges members to defend each other in case of an attack.

No way will you get France and Germany to agree that the US was subjected to an Iranian attack if they retaliate by means of attacking US troops in Iraq or elsewhere in the Persian Gulf area.

joeysoap wrote: »

Technically there was never an Iranian attack on the US embassy in Baghdad. They were Shia militia members, supporters and hangers on.
    There were no Iranian troops there.

Having said that, Iran controls Shia militias ( guerillas or terrorists if you want ) from the Mediterranean all the way through the Middle East.

The Iraqi government seemed to be excelling in incompetence or unwillingness to do anything about the American Embassy incident.

I pray that there isn’t a war or further escalation but that seems inevitable now the Iranians cannot sit back their people won’t allow it, Trump has been a disaster for the world, history will judge him as that a complete disaster, a loud mouth morally bankrupt man which nothing seems to stick to, the teflon president, he can get away with whatever he wants unfortunately, his followers are blind and would excuse him of anything, it’s depressing to think this is the thing they put in charge, can only hope he doesn’t get a second term.

There heavy US deployments routing to the Middle East right now. There a collection of people who observe all this stuff for living and are seeing the buildup for war.  CNN even informing the Iranians are now ramping up the readiness of their missiles across the middle east. US surveillance is studying the Iranian build up and Iranians can see what US is up to. It about to kick off and all signs are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Really what's the worst that can happen because of all of this? There's not going to be a nuclear war. Maybe an escalation of things in the middle East but anything worse than what's happened over the last 30 years or anything that will affect us other than maybe prices at the pumps? I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

There heavy US deployments routing to the Middle East right now

3000 troops going to 4 different countries ,

Huge numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Smiles35 wrote: »
    Have you any links to sources for this please?

Sorry it was on the radio yesterday evening RTE radio 1

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The Iraqi government seemed to be excelling in incompetence or unwillingness to do anything about the American Embassy incident.

It's down to the simple thing Iran controls and supports the loudest anti American voices in Iraq including Muqtada al-Sadr one of the most dangerous men in the world when it comes to extremism ,
    Iran backed by outside sources have military forces across iraq just waiting for another mass insurgency to break out and weaken the Iraqi government and military,

I'm surprised iran hasn't tried to annex part of Iraq

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    3000 troops going to 4 different countries ,

Huge numbers

There over 70,000 US troops in the Middle east.

There heavy deployment of tankers, surveillance aircraft and fighter aircraft flying from bases in Europe to Middle east, that a sign of preparation for a war. Don't ever believe the numbers in the official press.

Advertisement