Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US take out Suleimani - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

Really what's the worst that can happen because of all of this? There's not going to be a nuclear war. Maybe an escalation of things in the middle East but anything worse than what's happened over the last 30 years or anything that will affect us other than maybe prices at the pumps? I doubt it.

George Bush Jr felt it was a step too far to take out Soleimani and they had chances to in the past. Americans don't appreciate how far-reaching Iran influence is in the region. Its extend all the way from Afganistan to Lebanon even into Asia. This be no Iraq war where US troops can freely do what they like. Killing this general has given the Iranians the green light to start attack US across the region.  Trump made the worse mistake in American history.

Shia groups are likely in place to carry out strikes inside United States and Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Really what's the worst that can happen because of all of this? There's not going to be a nuclear war. Maybe an escalation of things in the middle East but anything worse than what's happened over the last 30 years or anything that will affect us other than maybe prices at the pumps? I doubt it.
    Short term would likely see more 4% jumps, leveling out at 20% rise within month(s) if 5-10% supply becomes restricted. Germany flirting with a recession after 31stJan brexit, and gradual global slowdown. The Turks have already threatended before they'd open the floodgates for 2m+ migrants into the EU (this would increase, if any destabilisation).

Mid-term for e.g. Western Europe would be oil ^200%c, climbing at $120, however difficult to say how likely that would be as (unlike 2004) the US now currently lead global production, then Russ, & SA. IRQ are a more distant 4th.

Longer term an East vs West 'gang-up'. Hundreds of millions of little green men available to deploy at short-notice from each side (more from East) and the build-up of devastating hypersonic space weaponary.

Only practical hope would be for IRN to back down from any wild actions, (rewarded with $200bn sanctions lift), and the opening of fast-food, karoke, and global-pop-culture across their land, to cheer up, and steer their youth towards free open expressionism.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

There over 70,000 US troops in the Middle east.

Again nothing new there they've been there decades

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Gatling wrote: »
    I'm surprised iran hasn't tried to annex part of Iraq

Iran wants to win the hearts and minds of the Iraqi people, resulting on control through Influence. Annexing part of Iraq would be detrimental to this cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

It's down to the simple thing Iran controls and supports the loudest anti American voices in Iraq including Muqtada al-Sadr one of the most dangerous men in the world when it comes to extremism ,
    Iran backed by outside sources have military forces across iraq just waiting for another mass insurgency to break out and weaken the Iraqi government and military,

I'm surprised iran hasn't tried to annex part of Iraq

Why would they play the annexation card openly when they pretty much have near full control of Shia forces in Iraq anyway. There’s no need to start and raise objections from the international community if you can achieve the same with a level of deniability. They control chunks of Lebanon, Palestinian territories, Syria and Yemen in the same manner.

Iran aspires to be a regional super power but they know they can’t have their foreign military adventures too openly without stirring up quite some resistance and political obstruction from the international community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I thought Irans missiles weren't capable of penetrating past these defence systems? Rte reporting two US bases blown up ?

Again nothing new there they've been there decades

I see reports now, a US base in Mosul under attack by mortar fire. I think the US have started a new insurgency in Iraq. Well done, Trump!

US2 wrote: »
    I thought Irans missiles weren't capable of penetrating past these defence systems? Rte reporting two US bases blown up ?

They were hit by Rockets (small Katyusha). The defense systems are for much larger Missiles and Rockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭circadian

I see reports now, a US base in Mosul under attack by mortar fire. I think the US have started a new insurgency in Iraq. Well done, Trump!

Where are you seeing this?

Odd that only recently we've seen ordinary Iraqis protesting about their own government and the perceived Iranian control over Iraqi affairs suddenly we get Iran Militias attack an American Embassy and now iran are pushing Iraq into a conflict with the US ,

Seems a win /win for Iran unless Iraq wakes up and asks for Iranians to go home.

• Advertisement

circadian wrote: »
    Where are you seeing this?

Twitter, i subscribe to people who watch intel developments in the region.

5 places attacked so far.
    -US Embassy, Baghdad
    -Al-Jadirya neighbourhood, Baghdad
    -Balad Airbase
    -Al-Kindi Camp, Mosul
    -Former Presidential Palace, Baghdad

Unfortunately your claims tend to be very wide of the mark and usually wrong ...

Less social media

Odd that only recently we've seen ordinary Iraqis protesting about their own government and the perceived Iranian control over Iraqi affairs suddenly we get Iran Militias attack an American Embassy and now iran are pushing Iraq into a conflict with the US ,

Seems a win /win for Iran unless Iraq wakes up and asks for Iranians to go home.

What you saw were Sunny Ordinary Iraqis, old Saddam supporters.

Unfortunately your claims tend to be very wide of the mark and usually wrong ...

Less social media

Rte are reporting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Less social media

:-/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

The Iranian regime is now in a lose lose situation. America has made its move and not seeing a response will be viewed upon as weak but a strong response and the Americans will hit them even harder.

President Trump is playing a blinder.

That's a very short term view.

Less social media

The intel crowd reported the Iran general death a hour and half before CNN and ABC did,. Official news is irrelevant today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

RoryMac wrote: »
    I heard a few reports yesterday that Obama had solid plans to kill the same guy but delays let the guy slip through the net so seems Obama at least considered doing the same thing. Obama had no issues giving a green light to an operation into Pakistan without their advance knowledge to take out Bin Laden.

The republicans might have kicked up a fuss but it would be just playing politics, both democrats & republicans have carried out these operations

Bin Laden was the most wanted criminal in US history, a guy the US had wanted dead since 1993 after his first attack on World Trade Center.

Massive difference between taking him out and one of the top ranking officials of a sovereign country, most powerful in the Middle East.

Obviously Obama informing everyone about Bin Laden plan would have tipped off Bin Laden himself which would make the whole thing pointless.

Rte are reporting it.

Gatling think if not on CNN and ABC news never happened! Fact is America bases across Iraq have got hit by rockets and mortar fire. It likely only the opening salvo of a new insurgency.

The intel crowd reported the Iran general death a hour and half

It was global news in minutes .

Even the Russians had it

• Advertisement

Gatling think if not on CNN and ABC news never happened

Enough of your lies,

Only one person mentioned CNN and abc and not for the first time isn't that right

It was global news in minutes .

Even the Russians had it

It was news on Twitter. CNN and ABC reported an hour or more later, all they were talking about was the Ukraine stuff before that. If something happens in minutes twitter will be on it real-time updates. Since you interested in foreign affairs use it.

CNN and ABC

Again only one person going on about CNN and abc .

What it's got to do with anything is anyone's guess

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Dante7 wrote: »
    The US have killed Qassim Suleimani in an airstrike in Iraq. Suleimani is Iran's top official in the area, and this is a huge escalation in the US Iran conflict.

https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/1212902693221650439?s=19

Mod warning 03/01/20

Trump has mentioned this fact to 'people of prayer' in the USA. Made for surreal viewing - @7:30

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Again only one person going on about CNN and abc .

What it's got to do with anything is anyone's guess

Check CNN, are they talking about this I have not looked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

The US gets bogged down in another Vietnam/Afghanistan scenario spending millions in calling in an air strike at a lone sniper taking pot shots at them... Meanwhile the American public are ****ting in the streets in San francisco...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

If Trump hadn't had been such petty/childish on reneging on the Iran deal because it was Obama's , a lot of this crap could have been avoided . Yanks look at Iran and think they're evil cos they hate America but did they ever read a history book and wonder why ??? USA and the Brits helped overthrow the president of Iran in the 50s because he wanted to nationalise their oil supplies. They also helped Saddam hussien during the Iran - Iraq war , by giving them Intelligence on Iranian positions , which Saddam gassed , killing thousands of Iranians , the yanks also shot down an Iranian passenger plane killing 300 Iranian civilians. The Americans have a lot to answer for, for the state that middle East is in right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

Trump has mentioned this fact to 'people of prayer' in the USA. Made for surreal viewing - @7:30

Please don't link that rag

Check CNN,

Off you go so

• Advertisement

Off you go so

All I Am suggesting is large media groups often are slow to report real news in the region. If the US carries out a strike, they be on it. Fact is confirmed rockets hit bases in Bagadad over an hour ago and not reported on. Mosul attack reported but still awaited for it to be confirmed. I never need CNN or ABC to learn about events in the region,  and often they put their own version out there and often not the real truth. 

Advertisement