Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US take out Suleimani - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Gringo180 wrote: »
    All a consequence of American invasion and regime change in Iraq, and yet Washington are still not learning from past mistakes.

There's good money to be made in war , just look at dick Chaney and haliburton

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

I'm no leftie, but I'm not falling for the mass lack of common sense when it comes to the US, they've only themselves to blame from constantly interfering and agrivating Iran, it can alllll be traced back...

It can be traced back 60 years ago to politicians who are long dead and to a world which no longer exists.

Tell me do you still blame the Germans for the crimes of the Nazis?

Their threats are meaningless, yet Soleimani has been blamed by the US for the deaths of over a thousand Americans (apparently). So are the Iranians dangerous or not?

These new threats are meaningless. The Ayatollah and his minions have always tried to attack the west at every opportunity and are implacably opposed to any ideology that does not revolve around jihad on the evil west and total obedience to Islam. So yeah they are dangerous especially when they are given billions of dollars in cash and gold...which is exactly what Obama did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

pearcider wrote: »
    It can be traced back 60 years ago to politicians who are long dead and to a world which no longer exists.

Tell me do you still blame the Germans for the crimes of the Nazis?

The politicians may be long dead but their successors have continued the same policy towards Iran, right up to the present day scenario

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Gringo180 wrote: »
    All a consequence of American invasion and regime change in Iraq, and yet

Protesting about Iran not America.

For every post America did this and America did that we have other countries who match their involvement in other countries

• Advertisement

These new threats are meaningless. The Ayatollah and his minions have always tried to attack the west at every opportunity and are implacably opposed to any ideology that does not revolve around jihad on the evil west and total obedience to Islam. So yeah they are dangerous especially when they are given billions of dollars in cash and gold...which is exactly what Obama did.

What countries in the west have Iran attacked

The politicians may be long dead but their successors have continued the same policy towards Iran, right up to the present day scenario

What has Iran down to change that except attack the west at every opportunity. There’s no negotiation with the mad mullahs who believe that the west is the great satan and that only Islam should rule the world. The only thing they have ever understood is force. I honestly don’t get all the fake indignation in here. They yearn for martyrdom against the infidel and the USAF is more than willing to oblige. Seems fair. They can stop picking fights with the Americans any time they choose.

What has Iran down to change that except attack the west at every opportunity. There’s no negotiation with the mad mullahs who believe that the west is the great satan and that only Islam should rule the world. The only thing they have ever understood is force. I honestly don’t get all the fake indignation in here. They yearn for martyrdom against the infidel and the USAF is more than willing to oblige. Seems fair. They can stop picking fights with the Americans any time they choose.

Again ... Can you name a country in the west that Iran has attacked

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Examples of this, please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

They could always call the Russians in... They made a complete show of the mighty US military when it came to wiping the floor with ISIS
    US wasn't there to defeat ISIS, the admitted hope was that ISIS or one of the islamic factions would roll into Damascus killing however many civilians and destroying the city, but getting rid of Assad.
    US couldn't give 2 hoots for ordinary Syrians, neither did most of the terrorist "rebels". There was only one play, remove Assad to remove Syria as a power and get a more US friendly dictator in. Israel also aided the terrorists, and we see that was because Israel needed lebensraum in the Golan.
    I use US Israel etc interchangeably between the state and those that run and profit from the state actions, e.g. genie oil.

Unfortunately there are also 100's of innocent EU civilians dead because of NATO actions in Libya Syria etc but no one will ever be held to account for that. Again it shows the lack of importance to plebs in the "war effort"

Missing from this list are the several 100 Quds force guys who were fighting in Bosnia.
    Of course they were just one foreign faction other jihadi were being armed by Turkey possibly trained by CIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Who's the aggressor here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

In comparison to sunni extremism thats hardly a list thats worthy of note. You don't see iranians/shia shooting down civillians in paris streets or cities in India.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Also

It was the US who stepped out of the nuclear deal, imposed sanctions, flew their drones into Iranian airspace, constant threats and now outside of international norms assassinated a top Iranian official.. When did Iran attack the west?

Most of them attacks have been against Israeli or American targets, it's hardly attacking the west at every opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

He has the British by the balls, they want a trade deal they'll have to get behind him. Russia is no fan of Islam and it also has interests in Iraq. It won't be sold as going to war with Iran, they'll merely be protecting Iraq.

There's still time Boris. There's still time.

US wasn't there to defeat ISIS, the admitted hope was that ISIS or one of the islamic factions would roll into Damascus killing however many civilians and destroying the city, but getting rid of Assad.
    US couldn't give 2 hoots for ordinary Syrians, neither did most of the terrorist "rebels". There was only one play, remove Assad to remove Syria as a power and get a more US friendly dictator in. Israel also aided the terrorists, and we see that was because Israel needed lebensraum in the Golan.
    I use US Israel etc interchangeably between the state and those that run and profit from the state actions, e.g. genie oil.

I know, I thought it was hilarious when the Russians rolled into Syria and said we're here to fight ISIS who's with us? .... Crickets from the west

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The Obama/Clinton years fcuked Europe

Only an all out war in the Middle East by the Trump administration could supersede that sort of damage

And he will never do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

Nonsense. The Shia sect is sympathetic of other religions, it part of their faith and doctrine books.  Wahabi /Salafism ( Sunni) for them- the nonbelievers are infidels and if they don't change their religion, they deserve to be killed. Its the reason all the Islamic groups that attack christens and diverse religious groups belong to the Sunni faith. 

US and Israel claim Iran spiritual leaders are fanatics, but they're no more fanatic than the catholic church. Sure they are strict about their doctrine and its traditions, but even catholics were like that in the past. We have just relaxed with the bible stuff and given more freedoms to people.

You can not demand a region to change their faith, its all they know.  Its hundreds of generations of history. Our activities have only helped to cause instability in the region. Reality is if there was no oil  it very unlikely United States would care about the region.  

Reality is 1 percent who control the resources, see this place as easy way to get very rich and be powerful. They care little for the poor in these countries. Middle east communities should be modern and developed instead western wars have turned many of the countries into rubble cities. 

By way Iran does not detest the West. It dislikes two countries United States and Israel. They are two flags they stand on going to prayer!

• Advertisement

Only an all out war in the Middle East by the Trump administration could supersede that sort of damage

This is trump ,there is every chance he could call all out war in the middle East ,. conflict in Iraq , Syria, Yemen Lebanon and Gaza ,
    Not much left that hasn't gone up in flames ,

And yet nobody can tell us what Iran's end game is ,

You forgot the bush administration for getting the ball rolling with the Iraq war

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Putin is unrestrained by ethical considerations, a state Trump shares personally and is trying to arrive at militarily. You have a bigger point: Shia IRAN regards Putin as an ally as they both saved Syria’s Assad. Iran might welcome Russian involvement as another blow to US hegemony in the region.

Russia is very close to Iran borders. It very unlikely Russia would agree to a US puppet state in Iran today. Still, Russia and America know a war between them means the end of them both. They may provide military aid if broke out to a full scale war?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Russia is very close to Iran borders. It very unlikely Russia would agree to a US puppet state in Iran today. Still, Russia and America know a war between them means the end of them both. They may provide military aid if broke out to a full scale war?

If a war did break out I suspect severely degrading the Iranian military would be enough for the US and Israel. No need for boots on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

As crazy as it sounds I actually believe Trump would threaten the use of low yield Nuclear weapons before sending in US troops into Iran.

As crazy as it sounds I actually believe Trump would threaten the use of low yield Nuclear weapons before sending in US troops into Iran.

I don't think they'd ever send boots on the ground into a country of 80 million , but they'd just bomb the crap out of the place .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I don't think they'd ever send boots on the ground into a country of 80 million , but they'd just bomb the crap out of the place .
    Oil bet they would send boots on the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I see the Iraqi leader was at Soelomani's funeral today. Its hard to see Iraqi leadership turning against the country propping them up, but a souring of relations with the US could get messy

There's talk of the Iraqi's expelling all US military because of this. They don't want to be seen as supporting the US on this.
    If this does happen its unlikely the US will pull out because of US contractors in the area and of course Israel.
    Be interesting to see if that pans out.

Wouldn't happen ,

They don't need to put boots on the ground ,they can remove a serious amount of Iran's military infrastructure from air ,sea and land launched systems meanwhile Iran would be left trying to land a lucky hit somewhere ,
    Iran's supreme religious leaders need a strong military to keep boots on the throats of ordinary young Iranians a weakened military would cause massive internal problems for the mullahs and aging military leaders ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Gatling wrote: »
    And yet nobody can tell us what Iran's end game is ,

Self preservation. As i mentioned earlier if the propaganda about them seeking martryrdom above all else was true, they'd have attacked America and Israel directly years ago. With the former in mind, this is why any response will probably be limited to proxies and the use of cyber warfare. If your American friends believed War was a high probability the strike would never have been sanctioned. Also if Iran was truly a formidable foe, the strike would not have been sanctioned either. I'm sure John Bolton and some others hawks would love to 'take out' Putin and others close to him if they could, but they know they can't because America and the World would genuinely pay a heavy price if that happened.

Advertisement