Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US take out Suleimani - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭joseywhales

There is no justification for us aggression in the middle East, there never has been, we need to look at actions and ignore their words. For 30 years they have been murdering people in the middle East , they will continue to do so because that is what they are. If you do not submit to them they will attack you, Iran will learn this, we need some perspective here, how would Americans feel if Iran occupied Mexico and just murdered Mike pompeo

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Gatling wrote: »
    This is trump ,there is every chance he could call all out war in the middle East ,. conflict in Iraq , Syria, Yemen Lebanon and Gaza ,
    Not much left that hasn't gone up in flames ,

And yet nobody can tell us what Iran's end game is ,

He has an old school business brain

demolition and destruction

That’s failure to him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

jackboy wrote: »
    If a war did break out I suspect severely degrading the Iranian military would be enough for the US and Israel. No need for boots on the ground.

From my point of view- comparing Iran to Iraq make no sense?
    Iran is not confined like Iraq.
    It has militias stretched out across the middle east that can strike at will. 
    Iraq army ran away because all their assets were behind sand dunes and ridges and easy targets for precision bombing and none of soldiers wanted to fight and die for Saddam..The entire army did even attempt a challenge to the invasion.
    We know the Iranians to be deeply patriotic and nationalist.
    Missiles will be flying from all corners of the Middle east from Lebanon and Yemen.
    Iran has boosted it military for 30 years since the Iran/ Iraq war. Yes, there airforce no contest US wins, but the Iranian anti- air missile defences are modern ( they're not Iraqi AA guns trying to hit something and hoping for the best) 

Their missiles can hit the US bases in the region and hit US warships and potentially downgrade the US ability to take off and refuel at airbases. People are predicting no defense by Iran, but i conclude they are wrong. We know for sure if war occurs!
    It very challenging to guess how much damage Iran can cause here, but there no doubt in my mind they have the capability to fight back better than Iraq in 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,666 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Haven't followed the thread today, but why such big marches for the dead guy in Iraq, when he was Iranian?

Could the news not show marches in Iran? Was There any?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

pearcider wrote: »
    The anti American sentiment in this thread is laughable. Considering we in Ireland are sheltered by the US military and supported by them both economically and financially. The lefties posting in here clearly forget which side our bread is buttered on. It’s certainly not the Islamic fundamentalist side.

Fact is the Iranians have been sworn enemies of the United States and by extension the secular western world for 40 years so all their fresh threats in the wake of this assassination are meaningless. What are they actually going to do? Any escalation by their tyrannical government and they will be bombed into oblivion.

That old "leftie" chestnut. The sign of a madmans argument.

In reality patience has run out with the US and their unjustified interference and phony wars in many countries causing destabilization across the globe. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I do wonder if "What did Obama do" drives Trump's foreign policy in a similar way to his domestic policy?

Obama received praise for killing Bin Laden so Trump has to do something superficially similar (but "biglier").

GW Bush set up the infrastructure for carrying out drone strikes and Obama expanded it. It is (or was under Obama I think?) pretty much directly under the control of the US president which is frightening given who is at the helm now.

It's surprising in a way it has taken so long for something a bit crazy like this to happen when it comes to use of US military might under Trump. I suppose the "experts" might have kept Trump on the leash somewhat, but perhaps now he just "knows better" and is starting to slip it as we come to the end of his 1st term.

edit:

Either that or there is some dim, evil, cunning "plan" there (hope Iran retaliates very hard and makes joe sixpack angry + scares the "soccer moms", gives him an excuse to send the US military to do what it does best & heavily bomb Iran before the election).

So many Americans love seeing their impressive military toys in action razing other countries + smiting "evil-doers" over in the ME so long as their soldiers aren't at too big of a risk. They may cheer & vote Trump in again in droves after that if it goes well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

There is no justification for us aggression in the middle East, there never has been, we need to look at actions and ignore their words. For 30 years they have been murdering people in the middle East , they will continue to do so because that is what they are. If you do not submit to them they will attack you, Iran will learn this, we need some perspective here, how would Americans feel if Iran occupied Mexico and just murdered Mike pompeo
    Saudi Arabia didn't submit to them. They bought them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

From my point of view- comparing Iran to Iraq make no sense?
    Iran is not confined like Iraq.
    It has militias stretched out across the middle east that can strike at will. 
    Iraq army ran away because all their assets were behind sand dunes and ridges and easy targets for precision bombing and none of soldiers wanted to fight and die for Saddam..The entire army did even attempt a challenge to the invasion.
    We know the Iranians to be deeply patriotic and nationalist.
    Missiles will be flying from all corners of the Middle east from Lebanon and Yemen.
    Iran has boosted it military for 30 years since the Iran/ Iraq war. Yes, there airforce no contest US wins, but the Iranian anti- air missile defences are modern ( they're not Iraqi AA guns trying to hit something and hoping for the best) 

Their missiles can hit the US bases in the region and hit US warships and potentially downgrade the US ability to take off and refuel at airbases. People are predicting no defense by Iran, but i conclude they are wrong. We know for sure if war occurs!
    It very challenging to guess how much damage Iran can cause here, but there no doubt in my mind they have the capability to fight back better than Iraq in 2003.

But if a war started the US would have to keep going until all that modern Iranian tech is wiped out. The US would have the will and the capability to do that. Yes, Iran could do some damage at the start but this would be severely degraded in weeks. The US will be able to replace all losses, Iran will not be able to replace any losses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

But if a war started the US would have to keep going until all that modern Iranian tech is wiped out. The US would have the will and the capability to do that. Yes, Iran could do some damage at the start but this would be severely degraded in weeks. The US will be able to replace all losses, Iran will not be able to replace any losses.

That can only take place if they have complete autonomy to operate in the region. Iran likely going to try to knock the US bases out of operation where the aircraft are and undertake operations to take out battleships at sea. How much destruction will the American public accept? If soldiers start dying by the hundreds, will the war be called off? The only true way to end Iran is by an invasion something that not seen since WW2.
    US military all ready spread across the world, losing aircraft and ships are not readily replaceable right away. In fantasy earth you can do this not in physical world. 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭joseywhales

This is ridiculous unless you have been spending 800 billion on military tech for the last decade, you are not seriously competing with us battleships and aircraft but it is correct that the us will not invade Iran because the country is too large to occupy and the us does not have the man power to occupy and the American have no will to occupy foreign countries. At worst they will just destroy all Iranian infrastructure but probably nothing will happen except for more tension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

That can only take place if they have complete autonomy to operate in the region. Iran likely going to try to knock the US bases out of operation where the aircraft are and undertake operations to take out battleships at sea. How much destruction will the American public accept? If soldiers start dying by the hundreds, will the war be called off? The only true way to end Iran is by an invasion something that not seen since WW2.
    US military all ready spread across the world, losing aircraft and ships are not readily replaceable right away. In fantasy earth you can do this not in physical world. 

It would be a tech vs tech war, no invasion. US tech beats Iranian tech in quality and quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

It would be a tech vs tech war, no invasion. US tech beats Iranian tech in quality and quantity.

Tech didn’t secure victory in Vietnam or Afghanistan

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Iraq had the best Russia had to offer at the time and not just AA guns they actually had multiple layered systems and yet they suffered massive losses ,
    Most of Iranian capability are still 30 year old systems they relabeled as Iran built and developed ,
    They have some missiles can they strike a carrier No not a hope ,
    Can they strike at American bases highly unlikely they might be able to use proxies to launch small scale rocket and mortors but do serious damage no American bases are well protected and more than capable of defending against force attacks on the ground,
    Proxy attacks might do some damage in the very short term but the ability to wipe out a large amount of Iran's military infrastructure is too big of a risk to the mullahs and old guard revolutionaries ,

The ordinary Joe Iranian don't want a war with America or anyone else by all accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭wildeside

The best analysis I've seen so far of what's going on is here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjWllto0Xzg

I doubt Trump realises what he's just done (it's complex so wouldn't be hard!). This is just powerful people playing their usual, twisted games, none of whom will suffer as a result.

So it's business as usual for the US war machine and neither Reps or Dems are willing to stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Iraq had the best Russia had to offer at the time and not just AA guns they actually had multiple layered systems and yet they suffered massive losses ,
    Most of Iranian capability are still 30 year old systems they relabeled as Iran built and developed ,
    They have some missiles can they strike a carrier No not a hope ,
    Can they strike at American bases highly unlikely they might be able to use proxies to launch small scale rocket and mortors but do serious damage no American bases are well protected and more than capable of defending against force attacks on the ground,
    Proxy attacks might do some damage in the very short term but the ability to wipe out a large amount of Iran's military infrastructure is too big of a risk to the mullahs and old guard revolutionaries ,

The ordinary Joe Iranian don't want a war with America or anyone else by all accounts

How many ordinary joe Iranians have you spoken to?
    Some boy to spout ****e you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Anyone spot the "Chevy" truck carring your mans coffin in the news?
    Found that interesting myself while they burned American flags!

SafeSurfer wrote: »

Remember Afghanistan is a different beast just ask the Russians they tried everything from scorched earth policies to chemical weapons attacks and still had to leg it out of Afghanistan ,
    You can secure cities to a certain degree but in large unpopulated and desolate terrain a few men with Aks and IEDs can do damage ,
    As seen in Iraq during various insurgencies America weren't afraid to take the fight to the different groups and come out on top on their own territory ,
    Tech won't win a war on its own but having the ability to fight day and night and bring in over whelming forces it makes it easier , something proxies can't do

US2 wrote: »
    How many ordinary joe Iranians have you spoken to

Yawn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

SafeSurfer wrote: »

Must have been the rubber flip flops the lads were wearing...

Looks like trump isn't backing down

"Let this serve as a WARNING that if Iran strikes any Americans, or American assets, we have targeted 52 Iranian sites (representing the 52 American hostages taken by Iran many years ago), some at a very high level & important to Iran & the Iranian culture, and those targets, and Iran itself, WILL BE HIT VERY FAST AND VERY HARD. The USA wants no more threats!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭threeball

"Let this serve as a WARNING that if Iran strikes any Americans, or American assets, we have targeted 52 Iranian sites (representing the 52 American hostages taken by Iran many years ago), some at a very high level & important to Iran & the Iranian culture, and those targets, and Iran itself, WILL BE HIT VERY FAST AND VERY HARD. The USA wants no more threats!"

The USA wants no more threats unless they're our threats. This lad is a simpleton. Sucker punch someone in the face then walk away saying you better not retaliate or else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

threeball wrote: »
    The USA wants no more threats unless they're our threats. This lad is a simpleton. Sucker punch someone in the face then walk away saying you better not retaliate or else.

Yeah it's pathetic really, Trumps a fool everyone knows it you'd just have to wonder what he's actually thinking or is he, Netanyahu is in charge if u ask me

Even Tucker f&*king Carlson knows what's going on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlcsuJtXYkM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I wouldn't be surprised if they waited until Trump was out of office , and they'll go after either Trump or his family. That bloke they killed was no joke, I'm sure they'd have no problem finding people who'd be willing to go a suicide mission like that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Pompeo has some fucķing cheek.
    “Frankly, the Europeans haven’t been as helpful as I wish that they could be. The Brits, the French, the Germans all need to understand that what we did, what the Americans did, saved lives in Europe as well. Qassem Suleimani led, and his IRGC [Revolutionary Guard], led assassination campaigns in Europe. This was a good thing for the entire world, and we are urging everyone in the world to get behind what the United States is trying to do to get the Islamic Republic of Iran to simply behave like a normal nation.”

Irish Times

• Registered Users Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭threeball

I wouldn't be surprised if they waited until Trump was out of office , and they'll go after either Trump or his family. That bloke they killed was no joke, I'm sure they'd have no problem finding people who'd be willing to go a suicide mission like that

That wouldn't need to be a suicide mission. Iran will have operatives more than capable of taking that on as a mission with plenty of chance of getting away. I'm sure they have their own version of polonium 210. All they need is to get it into a burger king near the white house and they'll have a good chance of getting him.

Yeah they'll do something. Don't know when, where or how but Iran will definitely respond. They have to. The 2nd most popular guy in the entire nation just got killed. They have no choice now.

And who knows where it will lead. Yet ANOTHER US war of aggression. Maybe another 19 year war like Afganistan with no objective and no end in sight.

Great for the US war industry though so not all bad !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Russia will step in for Iran if it goes belly up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

Very revealing tweet by Trump. His generation remember the humiliation of the embassy siege very well. It was an outrageous act then by the mullahs and was never forgotten by the Americans especially after how it was handled by Jimmy Carter. He is just daring Iran to escalate it. Will be interesting to see what the clerics do. Will they put their money, power and privilege at stake like Saddam and Ghadafi did?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Pompeo has some fucķing cheek.

"behave like a normal nation" HA that's a good one

Advertisement