Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US take out Suleimani - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

lawred2 wrote: »
    What's the justification for murdering this guy?

A statement from the Pentagon said Gen Soleimani "was actively developing plans to attack American diplomats and service members in Iraq and throughout the region".

Chances are that's a load of sh1te of course, and they had no idea if he does have plans or not to do that (although he probably does tbf), so they assassinated a guy for future he has not committed. It's also height of hypocrisy as the US will kill more of their own service members by doing stupid **** like this than anyone else.

Iran will have to retaliate, and people will die, and circle goes round. Neither the US or Iran will win of course, but conspiracy part of me says this is exactly what Russia and China want. Sell guns to Iran (Russia have an arms deal with them), grow their own influence and make America weaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

gandalf wrote: »
    Well the driver of this will be how the Suleimani assassination is perceived internally in Iran by ordinary Iranians. If he is popular with them then the regime will have to react with a very public demonstration of their sovereignty and if I had any relatives serving in a US Navy vessel based in the Strait of Hormuz I'd be very nervous.

From reading Twitter the MAGA muppets are almost masturbating with happiness at this development.
    His popularity, from what I've read is mixed, but they'll be foaming at the mouth about his death anyway. Expect a lot of the usual passionate rhetoric and death to Satan. Beyond that it's hard to make a call but whatever they do, direct conflict with the US doesn't seem wise. I reckon more proxy responses is more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

is_that_so wrote: »
    His popularity, from what I've read is mixed, but they'll be foaming at the mouth about his death anyway. Expect a lot of the usual passionate rhetoric and death to Satan. Beyond that it's hard to make a call but whatever they do, direct conflict with the US doesn't seem wise. I reckon more proxy responses is more likely.

I dunno its a very public direct attack on a very senior figure in the regime so they may feel compelled to hit back immediately. Whatever their reaction its an incredibly reckless action by the US and one that smacks of desperation from Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

One would hope so. Regardless of the provocation Iran would be ill-advised to take America on in a direct military sense. However the pentagon will be itching to let loose however indirect Iran's military response is.

gandalf wrote: »
    I dunno its a very public direct attack on a very senior figure in the regime so they may feel compelled to hit back immediately. Whatever their reaction its an incredibly reckless action by the US and one that smacks of desperation from Trump.
    I agree on the stupidity of the attack but can't see a huge benefit to them if they go directly after the US military. Proxy attacks in Iraq, Lebanon, Israel or elsewhere could be that response, which would make it difficult for the US to go after Iran directly. They do have a fairly useful cyber attack capability as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

DyldeBrill wrote: »
    Couldn't believe the news when I clicked onto it this morning. Then again, should I be surprised the way things have been going?

I don't see Iran sitting back and taking this lightly and it very well could turn into a full scale war. Hopefully not.

No it won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

When you’ve lost the white supremacists https://t.co/2fu9yaLwRA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

screamer wrote: »
    I wish America would just stop antagonist behavior in Europe/Middle East. They have a hand in every skirmish, causing fear, refugees and death, and it’s Europe’s problem to deal with the fall out.

Yep, I have been saying that for years. I do not think Europe is tough enough with the US. In my eyes they are the cause of the migration crisis we see today. We need to stand on our own two feet and be able to call out when enough is enough. Europe is powerful enough now.

Sanctions even if needs be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

**** will go on, innocent people will die and we'll just carry on complaining about meaningless crap. This kind of thing has being going on for all of human existence. Nowadays the media just uses it to drum fear into people and keep us buying into the pointless **** that is our lives..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭circadian

But wasn’t the Vietnam war bad? Didn’t Ali become a hero for refusing to fight?

Ali isn't off starting wars is he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Kalyke

I would say Netanyahu is VERY grateful to Donald for this considering his precarious position.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

SeaFields wrote: »
    Looking at the comments under Donald's tweet....the yanks really are a bat sh!t crazy race of people.

They really are and its frightening how so many people in a western civilised country can be like that. I often think that us (Europe) have changed and matured over the years but they have stagnated and still have a sheltered closed in thinking that we had years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

So if such an operation can only be done with a Congressional mandate then why did the military carry out such an operation in the absence of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Will Trump and his people go to the funerals of the Americans who are killed in retaliation for this?

lawred2 wrote: »
    So if such an operation can only be done with a Congressional mandate then why did the military carry out such an operation in the absence of it?

Apparently only Congress can declare war. The president can authorize preemptive strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Im sure Trump has a plan for what comes next. Hes probably getting briefings now as we speak. Hes not some guy that would just rush in without painstakingly working through the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Im sure Trump has a plan for what comes next. Hes probably getting briefings now as we speak. Hes not some guy that would just rush in without painstakingly working through the consequences.

You forgot to add the smiley face ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Iraq could suffer a lot from this. Iranian influence and American forces could fight it out in that country. Very sad. Another Syria?

**** will go on, innocent people will die and we'll just carry on complaining about meaningless crap. This kind of thing has being going on for all of human existence. Nowadays the media just uses it to drum fear into people and keep us buying into the pointless **** that is our lives..

Exactly.

Some on here are saying this is massive and going to lead to this and that.

For me and you in Ireland, it'll have no impact. Other than maybe oil getting dearer.

What was one of Iran's top military men doing in Iraq?

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »

Lured I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Sightseeing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Nitty Gritty

Kalyke wrote: »
    I would say Netanyahu is VERY grateful to Donald for this considering his precarious position.

This is what it's all about in my opinion.
    America & Iran will now use their proxies, Israel & Hezbollah to go at it along the Leb border, and Benny keeps his people distracted and stays out of prison for being a corrupt little weasel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,529 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Sightseeing

He just got lost on his way to Tehran. He definitely was not there co-ordinating Iranian back militia strikes on US targets or trying to help overthrow the government.

He did however, take the wrong flight out.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Hopefully we see some black hawk down moment's in Syria and Iraq with US personal on-board.

That's the end of the US in Iraq for sure.

I dont know why the embassy protesters didn't fill the air vents with smoke and smoke out the people behind the bullet proof glass.

They have IKEA!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Attending the funeral of the soldier's killed in in Iraq.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Limpy wrote: »
    Hopefully we see some black hawk down moment's in Syria and Iraq with US personal on-board.

That's the end of the US in Iraq for sure.

I dont know why the embassy protesters didn't fill the air vents with smoke and smoke out the people behind the bullet proof glass.

Wow. Why all the hatred for the US? The guy they killed is not exactly a saint.

They have IKEA!

Typical IKEA, you buy something, the instructions are impossible to follow, and there is always one bit missing, then it kills ya.

• Advertisement

jackboy wrote: »
    Wow. Why all the hatred for the US? The guy they killed is not exactly a saint.

Not even sure he was that popular with the ordinary Iranians. Didn't he murder and crackdown on a load of student demonstrations in the 1990s. Those people are now middle aged adults. Doubt they forget, or forgive.

Advertisement