Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US take out Suleimani - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

The vast amount of people on the streets of Iraq mourning the deaths from this American war crime really tells its own story of whos side the Iraqi people are on.

https://twitter.com/CarlosOrtizMoha/status/1213484883798118401?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

is_that_so wrote: »
    Trump was right for Trump. The timing suits him very well going into a re-election.

Iran have been causing chaos for years. The general was responsible for thousands of deaths & was planning many more. The one thing we should of learned by now is appeasement never works.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Discodog wrote: »
    Iran have been causing chaos for years. The general was responsible for thousands of deaths & was planning many more. The one thing we should of learned by now is appeasement never works.

You more than likey never even heard of Soleimani before this drone strike judging by calling him "The general". So in the space of a few days youve found evidence he has been responsible for thousands of deaths and planning more? Any chance of a link to this evidence? Or are u just parrotting the media outlets who have constantly lied to its citizens?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭brucky

The elimination of Soleimani was very surgical without a greater loss of life. From the funeral clips I don’t see may women mourning his loss, why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Remember when they said Saddam was 45 minutes away from launching a chemical attack?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_Dossier

No lessons learned evidently as some people will just swallow up any lie pitched their way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yeah he was but US were happy to deal with him as well down the years. No such thing as a simple answer nor a clear cut decision in the ME. Having seen the absurd machinations required to bring the GFA into being we are better placed than most to understand that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

(CNN)In media appearances prior to the 2012 election, Donald Trump repeatedly predicted that then-President Barack Obama would start a war with Iran in order to win reelection.

Read the tweets on page 1, it's actually comical.

brucky wrote: »
    The elimination of Soleimani was very surgical without a greater loss of life. From the funeral clips I don’t see may women mourning his loss, why not?
    Location and culture goes a long way towards explaining that.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What are you talkng about? The election isn't until November. Americans don't care about foreign policy btw it's all about the economy. If the economy sinks President Trump is gone, if it stay as is or improves he'll win in a landslide.

So why was trump banging on about Obama doing exactly this in th lead up to his election?
    And why would it be bad for Obama to do it be good for trump?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Gringo180 wrote: »
    You more than likey never even heard of Soleimani before this drone strike judging by calling him "The general". So in the space of a few days youve found evidence he has been responsible for thousands of deaths and planning more? Any chance of a link to this evidence? Or are u just parrotting the media outlets who have constantly lied to its citizens?

There was a thread on twitter yesterday or the day before of all the high profile folk flag waving and saying how bad Soleimani was and how right the kill was. Funny enough, when their history was searched for any mention of him before the other day, nothing, not a mention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

What Twitter accounts do people follow for news on things like this? I just joined Twitter now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

AllForIt wrote: »
    Yes. I think so.

That was the whole point.

It was a single targeted operation, and if Iran isn't scared by that then they should be.

The idea that Iran are in any position to retaliate on some significant scale is simply ridiculous. They don't have the means or the power.

The Iranian gov are only thinking now how to look good to their people, rather than to actually do anything effectively against the US.

The whole point of the strike is to make them consider what they are doing that brought about this situation.

They have 2 choices, they can either change their activities or they can will damage themselves further both economically and further damage themselves in a social world sense.

I do find it odd, that when the Iranian's talk about hitting back at the US, and their citizen's, that noone point's out the belligerent attitude of such statements. As if, it's totally fine for the Iranians, to be so aggressive, but if one is not of of that country, one must conduct themselves to higher standards.

It's completely typical the way the loony media are portraying these turn of events.

Iran has been involved in a war of assassins with Israel for years. The real experts.

The thought that they quake with fear is a ridiculous concept.

Enough dead Americans and it's the Americans who go home and sulk.

What Twitter accounts do people follow for news on things like this? I just joined Twitter now
    Follow some of the most recognised news outlets for now and Twitter will suggest others. I'd go on both sides of the spectrum although Breitbart is really pushing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭Cody montana

is_that_so wrote: »
    Follow some of the most recognised news outlets for now and Twitter will suggest others. I'd go on both sides of the spectrum although Breitbart is really pushing it!

I don’t trust a single thing Breitbart posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Donald has really gone insane. He's raving like some senile third world dictator who been in power far too long.

🙈🙉🙊

I don’t trust a single thing Breitbart posts.
    Nope not a bit but it does provide occasional amusement in reading their "slant" and you can see how some otherwise alien minds might be working.

BluePlanet wrote: »
    Remember when they said Saddam was 45 minutes away from launching a chemical attack?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_Dossier

No lessons learned evidently as some people will just swallow up any lie pitched their way.

The world was, as bad in all as they were, a better place when Saddam and Gadaffi were in power.

🙈🙉🙊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

Stay away from MSM news sources like CNN, Sky, RTE etc... They are all signing from the same hymn sheet and push an agenda

The world was, as bad in all as they where, a better place when Saddam and Gadaffi were in power.

Hltler also :rolleyes:

Hltler also :rolleyes:

Mussolini, maybe.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭wildeside

The best analysis I see bar none in terms of what is really going on with American meddling in foreign countries is on this guy's YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjWllto0Xzg

You just can't stitch so many pieces together in a coherent, easily digestible form on Twitter.

If I were to pick someone on Twitter it would be award winning journalists Glen Greenwald or Aaron Mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

trump was going to win in novemember anyway , i dont buy the idea that this was about rallying his base or diverting attention from the impeachment process

most likely the neo conservatives got to him eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

Thanks for the suggestions lads

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    trump was going to win in novemember anyway , i dont buy the idea that this was about rallying his base or diverting attention from the impeachment process

most likely the neo conservatives got to him eventually

Or maybe just maybe he's done the right thing and taken out a mass mudering terrorist.

In fairness the one thing we should have learned by now is that intervention in the middle east never, ever, ever works ... as in it makes things a thousand times worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭Cordell

wildeside wrote: »
    In fairness the one thing we should have learned by now is that intervention in the middle east never, ever, ever works ... as in it makes things a thousand times worse.

Or maybe leaving things well alone makes them ten thousand times worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Should have bought some shares in Raytheon last week, dammit.

Glazers Out!

Or maybe just maybe he's done the right thing and taken out a mass mudering terrorist.

You know the US worked with him to fight ISIS, right? So he was a good guy then and a bad guy now? And just because he's a bad guy doesn't mean taking him out is a good strategic move. In fact it could be a very dumb move where the benefits do not outweigh the costs. Also, who's giving Trump (or any president) the information he's using to make a decision? Is Trump really pulling the strings?

Look, it's not as black and white as you suggest. And relying on the mainstream media for information isn't going to help. Maybe this will ?

I realised a long time ago (since Iraq and WMD) that the MSM always fall in line when war is on the cards. I stopped listening to them and it's really opened my eyes.

Our political and media institutions are constantly lying to us, that is the default position I take and it is not a bad starting point for thinking these things through.

War, what is it good for? Absolutely nothing .... except huge profits for very powerful arms manufacturers in the US and their psychopath lobbyists/hawks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Intervention in the Middle East has never been about making things better, its about control of resources, geo political reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

You know the US worked with him to fight ISIS, right? So he was a good guy then and a bad guy now? And just because he's a bad guy doesn't mean taking him out is a good strategic move. In fact it could be a very dumb move where the benefits do not outweigh the costs. Also, who's giving Trump (or any president) the information he's using to make a decision? Is Trump really pulling the strings?

Look, it's not as black and white as you suggest. And relying on the mainstream media for information isn't going to help. Maybe this will ?

I realised a long time ago (since Iraq and WMD) that the MSM always fall in line when war is on the cards. I stopped listening to them and it's really opened my eyes.

Our political and media institutions are constantly lying to us, that is the default position I take and it is not a bad starting point for thinking these things through.

War, what is it good for? Absolutely nothing .... except huge profits for very powerful arms manufacturers in the US and their psychopath lobbyists/hawks.

Iran was the jewel in the regime change crown for decades. I think a resolution in Syria would have obviously been preferable before starting to actively target Iran but whatcha gonna do?

I imagine John Bolton has been furiously masturbating over this over the last few days, this is the big one folks, just think of the profits.

This isn't the start of world war 3,its just the next phase of it, the perpetual war or "terror", you know against terrorist organisations and radical states you set up and then declare war on one after the other. Not to worry, mostly brown people will die so who gives a fvck?

Glazers Out!

Advertisement