Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US take out Suleimani - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭threeball

The Americans are not going to occupy Iran. They can destroy their air force navy and hammer their ground forces and destroy their nuclear facilities. Job done

You haven't a clue if you really think it's that simple. The US would elevate a country that right now hasn't really been a threat at all bar to occupying troops in their region of the world to one that will successfully launch attacks within the US itself. Will target assassinations of office holders and succeed and the more aggressive the Americans become the more entrenched the Iranians will.

You only have to look to the north of our country to see how that plays out but on an unimaginable scale. In the north there were maybe a couple of thousand people actively involved in the struggle. The Iranians will have millions willing to fight for the cause. Job done indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭perrito caliente

A gangster running a government of cretins, hawks and thugs continues illegal, callous warfare against sovereign people in the Middle East and there are posters on here whooping and ye-hawing like yanks, despite the fact that our history shows very clearly what it is like to be crushed under the boot heel of a thieving, cruel, occupying imperial power. Fetishising American and Israeli military power obviously fills a hole in these people's weak and empty minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭Cody montana

We have a good history of fighting terrorism here in Ireland. We should fully support the Americans in their fight against Iranian state sponsored terrorism and help expand their operations from Shannon.

We should have absolutely nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Look how much money I spent on toys to kill people

My 8 year old wouldnt go on like this

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1213689342272659456

https://twitter.com/LoralieBluett/status/1213691410077102081

How does anyone agree this is the way to run a country?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

If life was that black and white we'd all be living in a communist wonderland. Like it or not we need America on our side and pulling the plug on Shannon would just be pointless antagonism and akin to shooting oneself in the foot.

Of course it's not black and white. What is black and white is that the idea of America as the world police needs to end.

Why do we need American military planes refueling in Shannon? Who are we at risk from, other than those that would attack Shannon if they went to war with the US because of the refueling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭wildeside

A gangster running a government of cretins, hawks and thugs continues illegal, callous warfare against sovereign people in the Middle East and there are posters on here whooping and ye-hawing like yanks, despite the fact that our history shows very clearly what it is like to be crushed under the boot heel of a thieving, cruel, occupying imperial power. Fetishising American and Israeli military power obviously fills a hole in these people's weak and empty minds.

Well said. I love all these gung-ho armchair soldiers/generals on here. The Vietnam war had real opposition. One of the reasons was the draft. That REALLY made people ask questions about what they were fighting for.

If a gun were forced into the hands of half the people on internet forums like this one and they were told to go fight, it might prompt some interesting questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

RoryMac wrote: »
    So you can be as active in terrorism as you like responsible for the killing and maiming of hundreds of US soldiers once you are a non-elected representative of Iran?

t

Would you be of the same view if a country that had suffered due to American agression decided to kill a senior US General as a detterence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Look how much money I spent on toys to kill people

My 8 year old wouldnt go on like this

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1213689342272659456

https://twitter.com/LoralieBluett/status/1213691410077102081

How does anyone agree this is the way to run a country?

Imagine they spent even a quarter of their military budget in actually benefiting the American people..

Like 2pac said they've got money for wars but can't feed the poor..

Imagine they spent even a quarter of their military budget in actually benefiting the American people..

Like 2pac said they've got money for wars but can't feed the poor..

They prefer poisoning their citizens in an attempt to extract more money for private millionaires rather than actually helping any of them.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flint_water_crisis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Imagine what 2 fcukin trillion would do to poorer parts of america or to sustainable green energy or cancer treatment, my god the more i think about it you'd have to wonder what kind of despotic morons are are in charge of the supposed greatest nation on earth, I'd have no problem in seeing trump taking a drive around dallas in an open top car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Trump wants regime change in Iran, Republicans in general have wanted one for four decades. You can't accomplish that without boots on ground.

Im surprised the Iranians gavent considered a legal challenge, against the US in the UN, no matter how pointless it would show up the flaws of the UN if the US intervened and vetoed anything. If for that alone, the Iranians should start making legal challenges against the US.
    It cannot be legitimate to kill/assassinate leaders either politicians or military of another sovereign state, that you are not at war with, I would question that its ethical to intentionally target specific individuals even if you were at war. Can you imagine the uproar if the Iranians had done the same and assassinated Patreus or Clark or suggested taking out US politicians, and even threatened further action, how the UN is not all over this?

It cannot be the decision of one country or politician to unilaterally carry out assassinations, even if you dont like or agree with them, how does it improve things? because all this leads to is chaos and anarchy, do we really want another Libya or Syria, I suspect that actual decapitation strikes are to make the Iranians fearful of future attacks, but they cant get everyone, this is clearly terrorism.

The Americans are not going to occupy Iran. They can destroy their air force navy and hammer their ground forces and destroy their nuclear facilities. Job done

So not just a political and economic disaster, but an ecological and environmental one too. The US already has caused environmental problems with their military and weaponry, their military alone is a behemoth with a massive environmental footprint and now there are suggestions of bombing Nuclear facilities, destroying infrastructure, this will cause untold damage, misery and death.
    US citizens need to make a stand and I belive they do, more than we do here, but you dont get to see it. None of what is going on is sustainable.

Cordell wrote: »
    Obviously I don't have any proof, it also wasn't a hard statement but just my opinion - I tend to support western powers to do the right thing for the western world. But if they were to be left alone then everyone should leave them alone, not just the Americans. And then trust them to keep the peace, which is difficult considering their history, and also trust them not to wipe out Israel, and also trust them to not hold us over our desperate need of oil. A lot of trust needed.

That sounds phenomenally naive, to think western powers do the right thing for the west, even for their own countries, its pretty much mostly self serving (and its likely the US is the worst offender for this) with huge vested interests.
    The US decapitated democratically elected leadership of Iran in the 1950s, the end result was their installed puppets overthrow with the regime that exists, that likely would not have existed except for the Interference of the West. Thats just one example of Western democracy and intereference in legitmately elected leaders of sovereign nations. Same for Iraq in the 60s, add a host of other nations.

GarIT wrote: »
    In my opinion the USA are now the terrorists. There is no war on terror, it is a war of terror. Every non-middle eastern soldier in the middle east is a terrorist. RTE news has the leader of Iran calling trump a terrorist in a suit, he is right.

I just hope this encourages us to stop letting terrorists refuel in Shannon. Borris will surely let them refuel over there.

Its not just Trump, its the whole US set up and even the West now.
    The US could easily quietly become a fascist police state, if its not already there. It could have used its wealth, technology and resources to steer the world into a more harmonius direction, they cant even manage that for their own Citizens.

GarIT wrote: »
    I completely disagree. America aren't fighting terrorism in Iran, they are provoking it with their own acts of terror.

We are a neutral country, no non-neutral country's military should be allowed to refuel here.

Im not sure that we are Nuetral, Ive heard non aligned but clearly thats not accurate, it seems to be a convenient label we apply to assist us negotiate international politics.
    Id say its difficult for any nation to be Neutral or even non aligned, I used to consider Sweden neutral, but not so much anymore, definitely aligned with the West/EU, maybe even NATO, there are likely sensible practical reasons for that.
    We dont have the clout to be Neutral, you need to be strong enough to uphold that, to have that independence, you need an economy that has homegrown industry and corporations that have their origin in the nation.
    Sweden and Switzerland are probably the best examples, they have Industry and the capacity for the most part to design/construct their own weapons. We could probably organise a piss up in a brewery, but thats it.

Imagine what 2 fcukin trillion would do to poorer parts of america or to sustainable green energy or cancer treatment, my god the more i think about it you'd have to wonder what kind of despotic morons are are in charge of the supposed greatest nation on earth, I'd have no problem in seeing trump taking a drive around dallas in an open top car

It would buy a lot of public toilets in San Francisco..

I think the US regime has been acting in this fashion for so long they don't know any different, they think the world belongs to them..

Imagine at a high level pentagon meeting someone standing up and going "ya know I think we might be the problem in these places, no wonder they hate us" if only...

J Mysterio wrote: »

This is what the Hawks want, Iran should be at the UN or making this a war in the media.
    The US cannot continue on this path without being known to be the cause of the problems.
    You cant just go around and decide to assassinate people, they are not in your backyard, you are in theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Trump saying they have 52 targets ready to hit in iran. 52 = 52 hostages from years back. Mad stuff.

Trump saying they have 52 targets ready to hit in iran. 52 = 52 hostages from years back. Mad stuff.

Pure PR for the public...

Iran should have 290 for the people that died when the US shot down their airliner

This is turning into a spectacular fcuk up by Trump. Hopefully one day he gets the comeuppance he deserves. A poisonous hateful idiot.

threeball wrote: »
    This is turning into a spectacular fcuk up by Trump. Hopefully one day he gets the comeuppance he deserves. A poisonous hateful idiot.

They'll be paying for this one for years..

I'll say wow, just wow,

Trump apparently wants no more threats but threatens 52 cultural sites in Iran, after assassinating someone. Fcuk I knew that guy was dumb, but he should have an agent or a US legal representative filtering his tweets, he shouldnt even be on twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Would you be of the same view if a country that had suffered due to American agression decided to kill a senior US General as a detterence?

If they believed he was behind terrorist attacks against them then yes.

They just need to be able to accept the consequences of their actions

1874 wrote: »
    I'll say wow, just wow,

Trump apparently wants no more threats but threatens 52 cultural sites in Iran, after assassinating someone. Fcuk I knew that guy was dumb, but he should have an agent or a US legal representative filtering his tweets, he shouldnt even be on twitter.

No member of any government should be allowed on Twitter. Releasing info at a whim to all and sundry is extremely dangerous. I think once appointed to office any accounts should be disabled by law. Especially for simpletons like trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

The same everywhere. We spend millions and millions on Broadband, Forigen Aid, Asylum seekers, white water rafting ect, while 10s of thousands of people, working people, cant afford to buy a house.

Ah shur like the lad said earlier, a few rockets, bang bang, job done. :/

threeball wrote: »
    No member of any government should be allowed on Twitter. Releasing info at a whim to all and sundry is extremely dangerous. I think once appointed to office any accounts should be disabled by law. Especially for simpletons like trump.

Trump violates Twitter rules regularly and he's still there with his childish, undiplomatic nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Having met hundreds of us military aswell as officials like Pompeo and Pence through work I can't help but feel sorry for the regular joes who will suffer at the hands of these idiots.

US2 wrote: »
    The same everywhere. We spend millions and millions on Broadband, Forigen Aid, Asylum seekers, white water rafting ect, while 10s of thousands of people, working people, cant afford to buy a house.

Ha like foreign aid and broadband is comparable to war. Such a stupid argument

RoryMac wrote: »
    If they believed he was behind terrorist attacks against them then yes.

They just need to be able to accept the consequences of their actions

And how do you think that would be played out/twisted in the media.
    During the Cold war, from what I read there was an unwritten rule in the main to not take out each others operatives by the KGB/CIA, if that stuff occurred and got public, it could be seen as a declaration of War and tit fr tat would have just very badly affected both sides. The US knew they could be on the receiving end of a significant retaliation. Now that they are dealing with a less powerful adversary, they outright, blatantly assassinate (murder) in public people they deem to be enemies. We are already living in George Orwells 1984, but this **** is obvious madness. It makes the US look blatantly wrong, which everyone knows already, just switch the Iranians for any nation, say your own, and the people for you or your relatives, and this makes the US look like terrorists.

I'll be surprised if Trump doesnt threaten to drone strike them for their insolence. He's brave that one, like most Hawks. Probably getting flashbacks from when he was in 'Nam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

That'll be some wake. Tim finnegan will rise again!

Advertisement