Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US take out Suleimani - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭Cody montana

If you had of just left the man alone we probably wouldn't be here, still want to impeach him this week?

What in the name of god are you going on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

jackboy wrote: »
    Wow. Why all the hatred for the US? The guy they killed is not exactly a saint.

because they have kicked off a war?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It's a high stakes distraction from Trumps impeachment trial. The fallout is uncertain but war is a low probably. Good move by Trump, I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

circadian wrote: »
    Ali isn't off starting wars is he?

So, if Donald Trump had served in Vietnam, viewed as a pointless war, people would be ok with him doing this?? Or was the person I replied to point scoring??

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

This is all about the US army machine killing million's in the middle east. For what? Answer that and you might answer your own question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Nothing is gonna happen.

There won't be any war so stop panicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Nothing is gonna happen.

Iran will definitley retaliate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

But wasn’t the Vietnam war bad? Didn’t Ali become a hero for refusing to fight?

Yes it was bad, but Trump was a draft dodger like George Bush, John bolton and dick Chaney all architects of the Iraq war , they'd no problem sending soldiers to die based on lies, but when it was their time to serve their country they were cowards , Americans are brainwashed with all their patriotic bullcrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

NIMAN wrote: »
    How exactly?

I remember back in the Iraq war days, we were told the same, how hundreds of thousands of US troops would be sent back in bodybags.....and it lasted what? A week or two with little or no resistance.

I'm just wondering how Iran will strike back at the US in this case?
    No doubt there might be the odd terrorist attack against US targets, but in the great scheme of things, the US has the potential to do a lot more damage to Iran than vice versa.
    If anything, terror attacks killing a dozen or two will get Trump more support for future actions.

Unless other more knowledgeable folk can shed some light on what I'm missing?

Man. I had a big reply to this but I lost it after I switched tabs on the mobile. FFS.

1. Primary economic sanctions on Iran by the US.
    2. Proxy economic sanctions on trade with Iran.
    3. Strait of Hormouz tensions.
    4. Shia Proxy forces in Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, Yemen. Iranian Regional influence.
    5. US pull out of JCPOA & Iran's nuclear deal.
    6. Implications for Syria, Russia, US, Israel, Lebanon, Iraq and Saudi.
    7. Assassination of Solemani.

I will retype it later on the computer if you still want me to answer it, it will be a long one but theres no hassle at all.

Basically, up until this morning the US and Iran enjoyed a non directly kinetic status quo which was reinforced by political rhetoric. Taking into context points 1-6 above this latest event may be too much for Khomeni to accept.

There will not be a US/Iran ground war like the past, regionally things are different than back then but this could be the game changer which destabilises the Middle East even further.

Solemani was the symbol of Iran's Regional power. He had close operational ties with Shia proxy forces in Lebanon, Syria, Yemen and Iraq.

It quite simply could be a step too far by the US. Iran have spent decades trying to project their Regional influence and Solemani is the one that recently gave Rouhani and Khomeni this legitimacy.

If Khomeni does not respond to this, then he never will. This considerably weakens Iran's influence in the Region and may see a rise in tensions between Iran and Saudi or see increased proxy attacks on US forces in Syria/Iraq. Its possible that Israel may strike IRGC in Syria while the opportunity of a loss of command and control is there.

It is also possible that Iran proxies will target Israel. Its a Regional issue not a singular US/Iran issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I bet they won't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I don't agree with that posters sentiments but enough is enough.

The US are troublemakers going around looking for phony wars. Making up bulls**t lies to create wars. The effects of this policy are devastating.

Trump was valiantly against starting war with Iran in 2011 when Obama was in power and now he looks to drum up war going into an election and at a time when he is being impeached. It's so hypocritical and transparent, its not even funny.

Europe suffers the backlash. Absolute war monger nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

because they have kicked off a war?

No they haven’t. The Iranian regime is finished if a war starts and they know it.

They are probably now trying to decide what is the worst retaliation they can do without starting a war.

No they haven’t. The Iranian regime is finished if a war starts and they know it.

They are probably now trying to decide what is the worst retaliation they can do without starting a war.

How many dead US soldiers is it worth? Honest question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

They probably won't, not right away at least. They are smart enough to realize, let the manchild have his moment and it'll all be forgotten in a week he'll move onto something else. That's how little credibility he has, even America's enemies don't take his airstrikes seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Nothing is gonna happen.

You think Iran are going to stand down now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

That is some escalation by the USA. The General was probably only second to the Ayatollah in terms of power in Iran.

I would have said he was off limits before this. Will be interesting to see how both Iraq and Hezbollah in Lebanon respond to this.

He was never off limits, there have been several assassination attempts on his life by Israel secret service Mossad and USA previously.

The Americans have been restrained in recent months, the Iranians have been escalating their proxy war incidents of late against Saudi and US interests, who do you think attacked the oil fields in Saudi Arabia recently?

Once the US Embassy was attacked in Baghdad, that was the end of US restraint in the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

same as always did.

war for resources.
    This is NOT war for resources ..this is Trump constructing a distraction the macabre theater that has been his presidency.

They must have known who was near in and around the airport and its been reported Trump ordered it. Its deliberately and stupidly provocative. Trump did it on purpose. Its a prop to aid his second presidency campaign.

Limpy wrote: »
    How many dead US soldiers is it worth? Honest question.

The Iranians will try to retaliate without killing American soldiers. They may fire a few of their ****e rockets somewhere or do something with a tanker again.

They probably won't, not right away at least. They are smart enough to realize, let the manchild have his moment and it'll all be forgotten in a week he'll move onto something else. That's how little credibility he has, even America's enemies don't take his airstrikes seriously

I think it all start after the funerals. 1000s will attend. The important thing is if the Iraqi government passes legislation calling for the removal of troop's then the Iraqi soldiers won't protect any bases ect.

The Iranians will try to retaliate without killing American soldiers. They may fire a few of their ****e rockets somewhere or do something with a tanker again.

Answer the question.

• Advertisement

Limpy wrote: »
    Answer the question.

What question?

No ..bye bye israel. That's who they will attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

What was one of Iran's top military men doing in Iraq?

Im not having a go at you here, so please don't think that I am. You did want to hear from other more knowledgable people.

You maintain that this strike wont lead to anything substantial and hopefully it wont but this post alone shows your lack of knowledge of the situation which is of course perfectly fine.

Soleimani was the head of the al-Quds unit of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps or the IRGC.

This is Iran's extraterritorial military componant who have supported Iranian backed militias in the Middle East, Asia and the Balkans.

It isnt unusual for Soleimani to be in Syria, Lebanon or Iraq.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's a high stakes distraction from Trumps impeachment trial. The fallout is uncertain but war is a low probably. Good move by Trump, I'd say.

You believe Trump put any thought in to this?

Does he put any thought in to anything else?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Supposedly Netanyahu has left Greece so as to decide what to do next.
    Hopefully Hezbolla won't start firing rockets from all direct, id say things are quite heated in the Shia quarters of the middle East that's for sure.

You believe Trump put any thought in to this?

Does he put any thought in to anything else?
    You would think there would be some kind of parliamentary process to stop him you know just in case the president is a total nutjob ...checks and balances.

I mean give the generals some kind of autonomy ..so they can avoid doing stupid stuff.

nthclare wrote: »
    Supposedly Netanyahu has left Greece so as to decide what to do next.
    Hopefully Hezbolla won't start firing rockets from all direct, id say things are quite heated in the Shia quarters of the middle East that's for sure.

Bibi has been killing Muslims for year's that's not news. Now the chance to distract people from his corruption charges is. Bibi has a horn for Trump, what's happening now is the reason.

They will also sponsor terrorism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Exactly.

Some on here are saying this is massive and going to lead to this and that.

For me and you in Ireland, it'll have no impact. Other than maybe oil getting dearer.

Other than leading to an existential threat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No ..bye bye israel. That's who they will attack.

Yeah they probably will through proxy rocket attacks, which is nothing new for Israel. And has already been said, Bibi will be only delighted with a bit of nationalistic fervor in the run up to the third election attempt in March and with his court cases all on the boil.

Despite all the posturing and the large armies, Iran doesn't really have the capability to enter a lasting full scale conventional war in or around its own territory. Their air force is antiquated and their navy small, I would have no doubt that the US and Israel could lay waste to most of it with stand off weapons in short order. Yes, they have 300,000 troops of varying standard, but what use without control of the skies?

Advertisement