Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US take out Suleimani - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Jackson Browne -

As if freedom was a question of might
    As if loyalty was black and white
    You hear people say it all the time-
    "Is my country wrong or right"
    I want to know what that's got to do
    With what it takes to find out what's true
    With everyone from the President on down
    Trying to keep it from you
    The thing I wonder about the Dads and Moms
    Who send their sons to the Vietnams
    Will they really think their way of life
    Has been protected as the next war comes?

I have prayed for America
    I was made for America
    I can't let go till she comes around
    Until the land of the free
    Is awake and can see
    And until her conscience has been found

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Trump is a dictator, end of, he’s fired so many people from his inner circle he no longer has or will not tolerate any dissenting voices or voices which offer him constructive alternatives, Democracy my eye.

Democratically elected 4 years ago, is standing for election again this year. Dictator my eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

US2 wrote: »
    Democratically elected 4 years ago, is standing for election again this year. Dictator my eye.

It's not really a democracy when you lose the election by 3 million votes and still become president .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Not democratically elected. He was elected on an electoral college system which is designed to subvert a democratic outcome, if it’s not the desired result. The democratic winner was the electoral loser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

It's not really a democracy when you lose the election by 3 million votes and still become president .

:pac:

• Advertisement

Always been that way.

Trump is a dictator, end of, he’s fired so many people from his inner circle he no longer has or will not tolerate any dissenting voices or voices which offer him constructive alternatives, Democracy my eye.

It is democracy.

If Iran ruled the world - and yes, they want to, you wouldn't be reading this. You'd be in the mosque five times a day or in prison - somewhere around the 14th century.

Always been that way.
    Well then it's not a democracy.

Always been that way.

Correct - it’s never been democratic (except by coincidence).
    Democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.
    John Adams

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

The only saving grace he had was people claiming at least he wasn't a war monger and he preferred doing business to fighting. So now he's nothing.
    I would say his core love this strong arming.

• Advertisement

It's not a democracy because the guy ye dont like won.

It’s not a democracy because it was designed not to be a democracy. The same truth applies to every president elected. Some happened to garner a democratic franchise by accident, but that’s not how the system works.

Leftie logic 101.

Amazing the way when Obama was doing exactly the same thing is Libya "democracy" was all fine and dandy.

Leftie logic 101.

Amazing the way when Obama was doing exactly the same thing is Libya "democracy" was all fine and dandy.

‘Lefties’ didn’t design the electoral system to be non-democratic. That would be the founding fathers.
    A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51 percent of the people may take away the rights of the other 49.
    Thomas Jefferson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

It is democracy.

If Iran ruled the world - and yes, they want to, you wouldn't be reading this. You'd be in the mosque five times a day or in prison - somewhere around the 14th century.

But its ok America want to rule the world. And they have more people in prison than any other country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Winning_Stroke

What reason do you have to think that the results would have been the same were the electoral college not in use? If you change the winning metrics after a match, you can deduce any outcome you want.

The majority of Ireland didnt vote for and dont like Leo

The majority of Brits didnt vote for and dont like Borris.

Should some bombs of freedom be dropped on them too ?

What reason do you have to think that the results would have been the same were the electoral college not in use? If you change the winning metrics after a match, you can deduce any outcome you want.

The voters were voting for a president, nothing would change in that regard by removing the college system. The outcome would be that Trump would have lost by 3 million votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,228 ✭✭✭threeball

It is democracy.

More absolute Fox news tripe. Where has Iran ever stated an intent to invade foreign countries or turn them Islamic. Show me one country they attacked that wasn't an aggressor.

But sure all the muslims are the same to you, isis, Iranians, Pakistanis. Just a bunch of mad brown beheading bastards only good for target practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭joseywhales

They are not predicting who would win, they are just stating that the system to choose a president is not democratic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,228 ✭✭✭threeball

Thats what you want in Iran so why not the US.

debok wrote: »
    But its ok America want to rule the world. And they have more people in prison than any other country.

There's a lot on the ring wing in America who'd give some of the mullahs a run for their money when it comes to gay rights , abortion etc..

The majority voted for political parties, understanding they appoint their own leaders. Every individual vote holds the same power in those elections, unlike the US presidential election.

alastair wrote: »
    The voters were voting for a president, nothing would change in that regard by removing the college system. The outcome would be that Trump would have lost by 3 million votes.

Nonsense. Third party voters in safe states, lazy arses in safe states and others would immediately be called into play, just for two examples. Why would a Rep bother their arse voting in California?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭joseywhales

There's a lot on the ring wing in America who'd give some of the mullahs a run for their money when it comes to gay rights , abortion etc..

Perhaps the un could get them all together in a "coming out" party. They could have an orgy in a Swiss conference room, could lead to world peace. The question is who would be the top/bottom of pence and the Ayatollah. My money is on the Ayatollah being the power bottom.

Nonsense. Third party voters in safe states, lazy arses in safe states and others would immediately be called into play, just for two examples. Why would a Rep bother their arse voting in California?

The electoral college system has nothing to do with safe states or third party candidates. Nothing at all. Republicans in California will be faced with exactly the same political landscape with or without the college system. I’ve never voted for FF or FG in my life, and their dominance nationally doesn’t influence my vote in any way. I vote for the candidate that reflects my perspectives.

Every individual vote holds the same power in those elections, unlike the US presidential election.

Every individual does not have the same voting power in Ireland, that's not remotely true.

The electoral college system has nothing to do with safe states or third party candidates. Nothing at all. Republicans in California will be faced with exactly the same political landscape with or without the college system.

You remind me of the loons sharing results of the recent UK elections if PR was in use... the idea that people would vote the same way, in a totally different system, with different winning metrics is ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭Cordell

The majority voted for political parties, understanding they appoint their own leaders. Every individual vote holds the same power in those elections, unlike the US presidential election.

The US president is the president of the US, that is the president of the united states, not the president of the people.

• Advertisement

Every individual does not have the same voting power in Ireland, that's not remotely true.

Of course they do. The limits are ones of smaller party representation in rural constituencies, but the vote itself is entirely equitable. Look at constituency quotas - they’re pretty consistent across the country, and when they drift out of kilter, the boundaries are adjusted.

Advertisement