Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US take out Suleimani - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Must say I am very dissapponted in the official statement from UK/France/Germany.
    It has a nudge calling for all parties to show "restraint". As good as it gets politically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

Trump is working on that. Already tackling protests. Give him time.

If there was oil in your back yard the U.S. would bring 'freedom' to it.

Says the lad practicing his freedom on the American designed internet and on an American designed phone or computer. Gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Trump is working on that. Already tackling protests. Give him time.

If there was oil in your back yard the U.S. would bring 'freedom' to it.
    Wong… if enacted, the vast majority of the bills would not criminalize any form of protest because the proposed changes relate to acts that are already prohibited by law.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

notobtuse wrote: »
    The US is not a democracy and was never meant to be one.

In the US the people rule but that rule goes through institutions designed to protect the individual and the minority from the totalitarianism of the majority.

US democracy doesn't exist. Yes, millions of people vote for leader, but practically every candidate has ties to US intelligence or the establishment deep state. Nearly every candidate is paid off before they even get nominated and elected. Special interest groups is where you find the real power in Washington. I don't blame 360 million Americans for US foreign policy, because most of US citizens don't even vote

Most Americans if you asked them probably cannot pinpoint Iran on a map. Personally i don't hate the US, I just dislike the policies of rich men who are self serving and power hungry and will do horrible things to other human beings. As others have pointed out Iran had a democracy in 50s and the rich privilege, power hungry people in the west did not like it when they nationalised the oil. The rogue players in the west continued after them and subverted the government. We know for a fact this was never about contributing to peace and stability and democracy in the middle east.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

is_that_so wrote: »
    It has a nudge calling for all parties to show "restraint". As good as it gets politically.

Its a very one sided statement.
    We have condemned the recent attacks on coalitions forces in Iraq and are gravely concerned by the negative role Iran has played in the region, including through the IRGC and the Al-Qods force under the command of General Soleimani.

Its directly criticising Iran at its lowest ebb, after the country has been sucker punched, and criticising the man they are now mourning, after he was just extra judicially assasinated. It offers nothing to them.

There is no criticism of the US. While it would have been naive to expect that, there is no balance. I agree its probably as much as could have been expected, but I find myself dissapointed nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

pearcider wrote: »
    Says the lad practicing his freedom on the American designed internet and on an American designed phone or computer. Gas.

Tim Berners-Lee - English.

Alexander Graham Bell - Scottish, on the work of Antonio Santi Giuseppe Meucci, Italian.

Konrad Zuse, German based on the work of Charles Babbage, English.

Or maybe it was all Thomas Edison ;)

Look Trump committed an illegal act of terrorism, which can be justified and all but so can any depending on your politics.

Current internet model was created by an English chap at CERN, then the largest internet node.

Its directly criticising Iran at its lowest ebb, after the country has been sucker punched, and criticising the man they are now mourning, after he was just extra judicially assasinated. It offers nothing to them.

There is no criticism of the US. While it would have been naive to expect that, there is no balance. I agree its probably as much as could have been expected, but I find myself dissapointed nonetheless.

Why would there be criticism of the US when they’ve acted against an international pariah. Iran is considered by the entire world to be a rogue state and that’s not going to change no matter what you think.

Current internet model was created by an English chap at CERN, then the largest internet node.

Wrong. It came from ARPANET which was built in the 60s.

It's pure EU speak. You've got to dig into it to see the message. "All parties" is finger wagging in such circles. Given who was "whacked" there was no other way to say it.

• Advertisement

Why would there be criticism of the US when they’ve acted against an international pariah. Iran is considered by the entire world to be a rogue state and that’s not going to change no matter what you think.

You have no concept of nuance, so - tbh - I couldn't be bothered to even start to engage with you.

notobtuse wrote: »
    Wong… if enacted, the vast majority of the bills would not criminalize any form of protest because the proposed changes relate to acts that are already prohibited by law.

What's 'wrong' in my comment? Nothing. Yours is vague and does not dispute mine.

You have no concept of nuance, so - tbh - I couldn't be bothered to even start to engage with you.

Right you keep feeling sorry for the mad mullahs who want to bring us back to the 8th century and I’ll keep supporting the Americans who at great cost maintain our nations freedom, economic strength and stability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

I would think the Iranian reaction might be a little on the slow side.They may let some of the Iraqi militias have a few attacks against the US to keep them in the barracks, make outside the security walls an unhappy place for them unless the US decides to commit huge numbers of troops to the fray. Start killing those that supply and support the US infrastructure and generally make it more expensive for the US and more dangerous for the locals to sustain the occupation.
    They may spread a few AA missiles into Iraq and Afghanistan make it more difficult for the helicopters to fly and make ground actions more dangerous. Give the militias more hardware an up their ability do destroy US amour.Let the US and other occupation forces pay for US actions with dead soldiers.
    If Iran take the US head on it could be a massive blood letting jamboree for both sides but Long slow actions seems to be the way Iran do things and I expect that to continue.

This will be considered Iran showing restraint.

It's pure EU speak. You've got to dig into it to see the message. "All parties" is finger wagging in such circles. Given who was "whacked" there was no other way to say it.

The best I can say for it is that it's as 'brave' or 'braver' then I expected the UK to be, given they have pretty much isolated themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

It's simple... Orange Man Bad.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Wrong. It came from ARPANET which was built in the 60s.
    WWW did not and that's what we use but feel free to be right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Well this has turned to tripe..

There is nothing more to look at until the next moves. Posters bicker while they wait. Plus ça change

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The man was a killer he had the blood of thousands on his hands across several countries ,Iran wasn't sucker punched or anything like it ,they were publicly warned something would happen if they didn't stop what they were doing across the ME ,
    Did they take note no they didn't and now the faced a consequence ,I'm sure the hundreds of Iraqis beheaded during the Iranian sponsored and supported Iraq insurgency feel the opposite about this .

Poor Iran , Jesus wept

The best I can say for it is that it's as 'brave' or 'braver' then I expected the UK to be, given they have pretty much isolated themselves.
    Boris is otherwise distracted and really could do without the nuisance of Trump upsetting his weekend. I'd say he just put his squiggle to it!

• Advertisement

WWW did not and that's what we use but feel free to be right.

It’s all built in American ingenuity. Berners lee is an MIT head anyway. Most of the modern world was invented there and in Bell Labs. It certainly wasn’t invented in Tehran.

Gatling wrote: »
    The man was a killer he had the blood of thousands on his hands across several countries ,Iran wasn't sucker punched or anything like it ,they were publicly warned something would happen if they didn't stop what they were doing across the ME ,
    Did they take note no they didn't and now the faced a consequence ,I'm sure the hundreds of Iraqis beheaded during the Iranian sponsored and supported Iraq insurgency feel the opposite about this .

Poor Iran , Jesus wept

TBF, you could easily flip that for 9/11.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Zavi13

I am hoping the Iranian military and IRGC are making progress in drawing up their list of legitimate targets in responding to the murder of Gen. Solemaini. A few options crossed my own mind - First of all there are the US embassies and consulates in the region, always a nest of CIA vipers who are usually up to no good. There are many US corporations with a large presence in the region e.g. ExxonMobil, Haliburton etc. and the mercenaries/contractors they hire to protect their executives, again a completely legit target as they are agents of US imperialism too. It is more difficult to successfully target the US military directly given the sheer firepower they possess, but asymmetric attacks by allied militias in Afghanistan and Iraq could impose a significant death toll.The US clients in Saudi and Israel can't expect to get off scot-free either as they're been encouraging this sort of attack. US targets in Europe, Africa and Latin America may prove more vulnerable so Iran and allies may wish to expand the scope of their operations. China may also wish to show solidaity with Iran by moving some of their naval assets into the Gulf Region, some are based nearby at the Pakistani port of Gwadar, so it wouldn't take too long either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

US democracy doesn't exist. Yes, millions of people vote for leader, but practically every candidate has ties to US intelligence or the establishment deep state. Nearly every candidate is paid off before they even get nominated and elected. Special interest groups is where you find the real power in Washington. I don't blame 360 million Americans for US foreign policy, because most of US citizens don't even vote

Most Americans if you asked them probably cannot pinpoint Iran on a map. Personally i don't hate the US, I just dislike the policies of rich men who are self serving and power hungry and will do horrible things to other human beings. As others have pointed out Iran had a democracy in 50s and the rich privilege, power hungry people in the west did not like it when they nationalised the oil. The rogue players in the west continued after them and subverted the government. We know for a fact this was never about contributing to peace and stability and democracy in the middle east.

Good post , nra, oil industry, arms industry , Jewish and Saudi lobby most politicians in Washington are bought and paid for. Who was it that said , when politicians are running for elections , they should wear suits like racing cars drivers do , with all their donors on it.

Zavi13 wrote: »
    I am hoping the Iranian military and IRGC are making progress in drawing up their list of legitimate targets in responding to the murder of Gen. Solemaini. A few options crossed my own mind - First of all there are the US embassies and consulates in the region, always a nest of CIA vipers who are usually up to no good. There are many US corporations with a large presence in the region e.g. ExxonMobil, Haliburton etc. and the mercenaries/contractors they hire to protect their executives, again a completely legit target as they are agents of US imperialism too. It is more difficult to successfully target the US military directly given the sheer firepower they possess, but asymmetric attacks by allied militias in Afghanistan and Iraq could impose a significant death toll.The US clients in Saudi and Israel can't expect to get off scot-free either as they're been encouraging this sort of attack. US targets in Europe, Africa and Latin America may prove more vulnerable so Iran and allies may wish to expand the scope of their operations. China may also wish to show solidaity with Iran by moving some of their naval assets into the Gulf Region, some are based nearby at the Pakistani port of Gwadar, so it wouldn't take too long either.

In your dreams mate.

An American contractor was killed. Bad for business. Impeachment and up coming election.
    That's the reasoning IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

All ya all is wrong, everyone knows Al Gore invented the interwebs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

mickdoocey wrote: »
    saddam Hussein was the head of a sovereign state - I personally believe he should have been tried in court - but he was taken out.
    again there was no outrage from the majority of people inc the same people who are now outraged by this strike.

its a double standard.

Wasn’t he tried in court and sentenced to swing??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Pentagon Chief of staff has resigned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

An American contractor was killed. Bad for business. Impeachment and up coming election.
    That's the reasoning IMO.

There's was 1soldier and 2 contractors killed yesterday in Kenya.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2020/01/05/al-shabab-attacks-base-in-kenya/2818024001/

Advertisement