Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US take out Suleimani - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

notobtuse wrote: »
    What are you talking about? Trump did not declare war on Iran (even though Iran has been waging a low level war against the US for decades). 600 dead US servicemen against 2 evil individuals looks like a lackluster response by Trump in a way. But at least hundreds or thousands will likely be saved with their demise.

What are you talking about? Who said declare war? He attacked and killed Soleiman without running it by anyone.
    You're just side tracking here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    46 years ago. The B52 is simply a platform. Weapons have moved on.

Bombs are bombs. And you don’t level anywhere with anything other than dumb carpetbombing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

notobtuse wrote: »
    Oh, bother.

In 2011 Iraqi also voted to expel US forces after the Obama administration wouldn’t negotiate a Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA). We’re still there.

So even if the Iraqi government is much controlled by Tehran it is wholly dependent upon US for military support and its economy.

And Trump just called their bluff.

He said Iraq would need to pay the US for the military investments over the years first.

“We will charge them sanctions like they’ve never seen before ever. It’ll make Iranian sanctions look somewhat tame,” he said. “If there’s any hostility, that they do anything we think is inappropriate, we are going to put sanctions on Iraq, very big sanctions on Iraq.” “We’re not leaving until they pay us back for it.”

Iraq won’t expel US military troops. IMO, they’re appeasing Iran with a propaganda victory by the expulsion vote, and but they’ll allow US troops to stay and continue to have US military and economic support.

We will not leave your country unless you pay us for bombing your country back to the stone age. Something something sanctions.....

Classy American foreign policy at its finest.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

US says thinning out troops in Baghdad. Staying in Iraq.

That's exactly how i translated the letter they were transferring troops around in days and weeks for a possible redrawal in the future. It could be a ploy by the US to slow down the Iran response. Trump promised redrawal in Syria and nevertheless they still there.

There a lot of confusion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

https://youtu.be/gP3WN3W9rPo
    This is possibly a bigger funeral than Iman Khomeinis. Trump is after unifying Iran and possibly Iraq.
    I wonder is there any truth in that Soleimani was killed just after peace talks with Saudi officials?
    The Americans wouldn't like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,196 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

So if the USA pulled all their troops out of Iraq, how long would it be before civil war broke out?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

alastair wrote: »
    Apparently you’re misinformed.

No I'm not .

charlie14 wrote: »
    We will not leave your country unless you pay us for bombing your country back to the stone age. Something something sanctions.....

Classy American foreign policy at its finest.:rolleyes:

They’ll go alright. They can’t stay if they’re not wanted, and the gradual picking off of soldiers if they don’t go will spell electoral problems for a Trump. Hot air.

Gatling wrote: »
    No I'm not .

You are.

smurfjed wrote: »
    So if the USA pulled all their troops out of Iraq, how long would it be before civil war broke out?

Weeks if we're lucky ,

It will be funny because iran wants America out so they can move in and become the occupiers and oppressers of Iraq .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

That's exactly how i translated the letter they were transferring troops around in days and weeks for a possible redrawal in the future. It could be a ploy by the US to slow down the Iran response. Trump promised redrawal in Syria and nevertheless they still there.

There a lot of confusion though.

Utter confusion. Twitter is where it’s at.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Fonny122

Macdarack wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/gP3WN3W9rPo
    This is possibly a bigger funeral than Iman Khomeinis. Trump is after unifying Iran and possibly Iraq.
    I wonder is there any truth in that Soleimani was killed just after peace talks with Saudi officials?
    The Americans wouldn't like that.

I can't imagine a fraction of that would show up to Trumps funeral, despite the US having 5x the population of Iran.

You are.

No .

Hey nice try though .

Actually did anyone on here light a candle at mass for the hand

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Fonny122

You are.
    Add it to the pile with that one. It's hard to tell if they're just trolling at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Fonny122 wrote: »
    I can't imagine a fraction of that would show up to Trumps funeral, despite the US having 5x the population of Iran.

I thought the same. Its incredible some the scenes of the mourners in Iraq and Iran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

Esper Sec DoD calls letter inaccurate. Says not leaving Iraq. #FUBAR

No .

Hey nice try though .

Actually did anyone on here light a candle at mass for the hand

You’re quite wrong, but thanks for trying.
    https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-usa-iraq-iran/iraq-signals-unease-with-iran-generals-battlefield-prominence-idUKKBN0N72NL20150416

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Pentagon denies approving letter

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I thought the same. Its incredible some the scenes of the mourners in Iraq and Iran.

Expect a Trump tweet anytime soon pointing out the crowd at his inauguration was more massiver..

Terror chief akin to bin Laden and Abu Musab al-Zarqawi

Worked out well for them all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

There you go.

Iraq says "Please leave". US says "No".

It's not a partnership, it's an imperial occupation.

Must be the same crowd putting out huge Iranian missles sitting on launch pads ready to strike America

Terror chief akin to bin Laden and Abu Musab al-Zarqawi

Worked out well for them all

Yeah - you got it wrong. Apology accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

You are comparing Iran to the USA. Iran is closer to North Korea in how the mad mullahs control their population. A lot of the "outpourings of grief" look completely staged and fake to me tbh.

What .

You are comparing Iran to the USA. Iran is closer to North Korea in how the mad mullahs control their population. A lot of the "outpourings of grief" look completely staged and fake to me tbh.

Well, I have to say it looks pretty convincing to me. But it’s not like there hasn’t been ample evidence of his popularity in Iran, above and beyond the political leadership for a long time now. The whole ‘they make them demonstrate’ business isn’t plausible at all. It’s literally only weeks since Iranians were out protesting fuel prices on the streets - not particularly North Korean populace activity.

dresden8 wrote: »
    There you go.

Iraq says "Please leave". US says "No".

it's an imperial occupation.

Iranian puppets call non legal binding vote .

Imperial occupation it's 5000 men and women, Iran proxies vastly out number them ,
    I believe they actually out number the Iraqi government forces in most areas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

Many officials claim the letter is authentic but the interpretation of the letter is not accurate.  Iraqi officials told Reuters they received the letter. It may be a letter that was not supposed to leak? It's not the first time officials in the US have expressed different views!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Beau Bennett

according to Twitter.

LOL!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

Well, I have to say it looks pretty convincing to me. But it’s not like there hasn’t been ample evidence of his popularity in Iran, above and beyond the political leadership for a long time now. The whole ‘they make them demonstrate’ business isn’t plausible at all.

Well then you know nothing about life in Iran then.

Hint.... It is not a free society.

Advertisement