Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US take out Suleimani - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

pearcider wrote: »
    What’s ironic is that where we to live in an Islamic state like Iran all the benefits that’s these progressives take for granted such as women’s rights, gay marriage and abortion would disappear.

These lefties are that incoherent. It’s like do they not realize under an Islamic state their so called friends in the lgbt community would literally be stoned to death.

But logic doesn’t matter when orange man bad.

Yet no one on the Left is defending an Islamic theocracy. Or proposing we should establish one in Ireland.

You can be opposed to both theocracy and illegitimate war against a sovereign nation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

J Mysterio wrote: »
    It's American policy that helps militant Islam thrive. If you can't see that, there's really no hope for you.

Pretty sure Islam makes Islam thrive.

Is that why they hate gays and women? Because of American policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Yet no one on the Left is defending an Islamic theocracy. Or proposing we should establish one in Ireland.

You can be opposed to both theocracy and illegitimate war against a sovereign nation.

Eh that’s what this thread is full of. People defending a rogue state like Iran. It’s deeply disturbing that the woke left actually thinks like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Trump is a big supporter of women's rights..."grab them by the pussy".

Oh please. Lefties do not believe in human rights for all. In fact it's one of their hallmarks to selectively choose who it is that they feel warrant having rights, especially rights like due process. Hypocrisy runs through lefties like a stick of rock.

Just look at how the left are coming to defence of Iran right now. A country were human rights of women and homosexuals are very thin on the ground:

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/427247-iran-publicly-hangs-man-found-guilty-of-homosexuality-charges

Soleimani should have been taken out years ago.

I know...poor ol' Iran!

I mean it's only law where they force women to wear headscarves and trousers/floor length skirt.

I mean it's only law where if a woman has a relationship with a non muslim, she'll be whipped.

I mean it's only law where if you are gay, you will get the death penalty.

We're all a bit harsh on Iran!

• Advertisement

archer22 wrote: »

Yeah because locker room talk is so much worse than practices such as honour killings and FGM which are common in islam.

That says it all about the progressive left folks.

Demented.

There's a large majority of people in Ireland who are big supporters of womens rights in that case so...judging by the content of whatsapp groups ;)

I know...poor ol' Iran!

I mean it's only law where they force women to wear headscarves and trousers/floor length skirt.

I mean it's only law where if a woman has a relationship with a non muslim, she'll be whipped.

You do realise that the women are Muslim as well?...and hence wear those clothes as part of their religious beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

What has the US policy got to do with lefties being people who support human rights for all?

The thread is about the actions of the US in threatening the Iranian people. That US policy. 52 cultural centres targeted etc. That’s the pertinent issue of human rights. Remember the thousands of Iraqi civilians who died on the back of previous US policy? Their human rights were not taken into any great consideration - that’s the concern with ill-considered adventurism.

You do realise that the women are Muslim as well?...and hence wear those clothes as part of their religious beliefs.

Yeah nothing to do with the fact that they can be killed if the renounce islam. In fact they can be and often are beaten raped and killed for the most minor things. Do you even believe what you are saying or are you trolling me at this stage. Or maybe you believe that honour killings and FGM are made up by the Americans to justify their imperialism.

• Advertisement

Yeah because locker room talk is so much worse than practices such as honour killings and FGM which are common in islam.

Demented.

Ah Pear Cider, that drink has got a well earned reputation...seems to have the same effect at both ends.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Eh that’s what this thread is full of. People defending a rogue state like Iran. It’s deeply disturbing that the woke left actually thinks like this.

I haven't seen any defense of Iranian domestic policy on this thread.

What is Trump saying that is untrue?

It's not Trump, it's the poster I quoted who said: "He's succeeded in areas that other equally corrupted and inept politicians couldn't."

I've yet to see anything really positive that can be directly attributed to Trump and his policies that hasn't caused indirect heartache and hardship for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I know...poor ol' Iran!

Just on the mention of law.
    What law gave Trump the right to order the killing of a citizen of Iran in another sovereign state.
    From what I can see under the American Constitution it is illegal.

The Constitution states :

"No person can be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

charlie14 wrote: »
    What law gave Trump the right to order the killing of a citizen of Iran in another sovereign state.

"No person can be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law"

Since when did the US care about laws?

It's not really a democracy when you lose the election by 3 million votes and still become president .

Haha

You can't say "oh he lost the election because he got 3m votes less".

The electoral college is the system used. Presidential candidates knows this and run their campaigns certain ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Lefties are people who think that Iran and other Islamic states are even close to the West in terms of moral standing or human development. They are literally deranged in their anti Americanism but still enjoy all the myriad benefits of living in the progressive and secular West including free speech. Personally, think they should leave and go live with their precious mullahs? To me they’re an insidious fifth column in our civilization.
    This is the ramblings of someone who's lost down the rabbit-hole.

The same kind of person who has a car like this

You literally cannot comprehend a position that is not binary. The idea that someone could be critical of Iran and the US at the same time is apparently too difficult for you. You seem to think that everyone has to take a side and stick to it rigidly. So if you're not "Fvck yeuuhh. 'Murica!!!", then you must be a mullah-loving lefty.

What are human rights then?

Any comment on the other laws I listed?

Interests of national security, I would guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

Demented.

They are beyond help in many ways. You see it in here more than i could have imagined.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Interests of national security, I would guess.

Then the CIA should be fair game

How did you feel when they killed Bin Laden?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes, but before the Ayatollah arrived, it was optional in Iran...check out some pic's on google...how women dressed BEFORE the Ayatollahs cracked down...and see what has happened to any Women who don't obey the Ayatollah's. Since a few years ago, Iranian Women have been protesting for more freedom on choice in the matter of dress...even the simple right to remove the headscarf, which is little enough freedom to have, was violently repressed, the leaders jailed and worse. The Ayatollah's fear even the slightest "Attack" on their rule. Mohammad asked that Women dress modestly, he did not say that they had to be covered completely, head to toe. That was imposed on women by men, trying to outdo each other in emulating Mohammad.
    In hot countries, everyone covers up, and have always done so, long before the arrival of Mohammad, or indeed Jesus. and this has nothing to do with religion, and everything to do with protection from the Sun. As anyone who has ever lived in the Middle East / Africa, or any other hot climate Country's will attest. Cover up or burn. And this has nothing to do with religion.

Haha

The electoral college is the system used. Presidential candidates knows this and run their campaigns certain ways.

Why can someone not say that the US system of electing a president is different to most norms of democratic process when there are posters on here who believe it`s a good enough reason to kill Iranians because their laws are different to those of the US.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Maybe because a psychopathic Iranian murderer is not a US citizen

How did you feel when they killed Bin Laden?

The same question applies to Bin Laden, but if you do not know the answer no problem.

Haha

And it’s also fair to point out it’s not a democracy.

Things iv'e learnt from this thread.

America is not democratic

Iran is a top tourist destination

One poster wouldn't have a problem with Iran blowing up Trump resorts in Ireland killing Irish people

And most importantly of course orange man bad

Maybe because a psychopathic Iranian murderer is not a US citizen

Yeah, you may want to check up on the US Supreme Court on that point.

The Supreme court ruled that on the "No person" aspect of the constitution that " an alien is surely a person"

• Advertisement

Things iv'e learnt from this thread.

America is not democratic

Iran is a top tourist destination

You should never stop learning.

Advertisement