Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US take out Suleimani - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

pearcider wrote: »
    Sorry they bombed one guy who was a military leader responsible for murder and mayhem for years in Iraq, Syria and other countries.

If the yanks wanted to actually lay waste to Iran they could do easily. The fact that they are so restrained is because they are a decent civilized country.

Decent civilised country you say?...

History tells a different story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

alastair wrote: »
    That ‘no mark’ is a highly regarded NYT correspondent, who was in direct contact with US officials in the loop.

And Oona A. Hathaway is, as the byline says, a Professor of international law at Yale Law School.

Of course the New York Times, imagine my shock.

Let me guess she can't disclose her sources for "security reasons".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

It's a discussion forum but if you can't answer or discuss i understand. Thanks

You answer in single sentence monologue, you clearly aren't up to the level of discussion like other posters on here, you don't discuss either, all you do is interrupt fluid debate, a wise man speaks because he has something to say while a fool speaks because he has to say something.

I come on here to learn, i don't post on threads like this because I don't know enough about the subject matter, but it's a subject i find fascinating, what makes it hard is posters like you stifling sensible debate with your infantile mundane low intelligence trolling, do yourself a favour and listen, read, learn and then comment with some degree of knowledge, but until then please stop making yourself look like a barstool know it all, your knowledge on the subject is probably alright down the pub after work with the other Sky news watching Neanderthals but it just makes you look like a fool when trying to keep up with moderately intelligent debate on here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Sorry they bombed one guy who was a military leader responsible for murder and mayhem for years in Iraq, Syria and other countries.

If the yanks wanted to actually lay waste to Iran they could do easily. The fact that they are so restrained is because they are a decent civilized country.

Yes who'd want to bomb a decent civilised country.

That's a change of heart coming from your posts, im impressed with the turnaround.

Well done

Your right. Look at all those people lining up outside the Iranian Embassy for work and travel permits, oh hold on sorry that's actually the American Embassy how silly of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

so were taking legal advice from the NYTimes and twitter, LOL

well how do we know his alien status without a green card?
    just proves how inept the supreme court really is when they consider an psychopathic Iranian murderer a "person"

You do not need to take legal advice from the NY Times, Twitter or anyone else.

I did post the relevant section of the US constitution and the US Supreme Court`s ruling on clarification and asked you in essence could you come up with an alternative coherent ruling.

Incoherent rambling I`m afraid does not come close.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Of course the New York Times, imagine my shock.

Let me guess she can't disclose her sources for "security reasons".

No - for the usual reason journalists don’t name sources.

You answer in single sentence monologue, you clearly aren't up to the level of discussion like other posters on here, you don't discuss either, all you do is interrupt fluid debate, a wise man speaks because he has something to say while a fool speaks because he has to say something.

I come on here to learn, i don't post on threads like this because I don't know enough about the subject matter, but it's a subject i find fascinating, what makes it hard is posters like you stifling sensible debate with your infantile mundane low intelligence trolling, do yourself a favour and listen, read, learn and then comment with some degree of knowledge, but until then please stop making yourself look like a barstool know it all, your knowledge on the subject is probably alright down the pub after work with the other Sky news watching Neanderthals but it just makes you look like a fool when trying to keep up with moderately intelligent debate on here.

So many big words, impressive stuff.

You didn't come on here to learn, you came to reinforce your view in an echo chamber.

You should read the charter about accusing others of trolling btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

Yeah well the Iranians have a blood soaked history too. But at least the US has moved with the times.

Yeah well the Iranians have a blood soaked history too. But at least the US has moved with the times.

Yeah "smart bombs" now... loaded with democracy, remind me again how many countries Iran has invaded?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

. . . they are a decent civilized country.

I'm not entirely sure that all other nations would agree.

They've used a weapon of mass destruction . . . TWICE

Many would say that Japan was already on it's knees before Hiroshima was bombed.

Some would say they just wanted to test their bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

charlie14 wrote: »
    Yeah, you may want to check up on the US Supreme Court on that point.

The Supreme court ruled that on the "No person" aspect of the constitution that " an alien is surely a person"
    charlie14 wrote: »
    I did post the relevant section of the US constitution and the US Supreme Court`s ruling on clarification and asked you in essence could you come up with an alternative coherent ruling.

Incoherent rambling I`m afraid does not come close.

couple posts back you called the psychopathic Iranian murderer an alien, so how do we know his alien status without a green card?

you're the only one rambling and grasping at straws while posting links that speak of nothing related to the subject

Many would say that Japan was already on it's knees before Hiroshima was bombed.

The Japanese attacked them first. Are you seriously blaming the US for ending the war early. The nuclear bombs saved many American lives.

The US have a well oiled media propaganda machine that paints them as global liberators, you can see its effect on some of the posters here

Would you suggest Iran is a more civilised country?

you're the only one rambling and grasping at straws while posting links that speak of nothing related to the subject

Speaking of which - no doubt you’ll be posting up a link to evidence supporting the notion that this killing was legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

So many big words, impressive stuff.

You didn't come on here to learn, you came to reinforce your view in an echo chamber.

You should read the charter about accusing others of trolling btw.

If you consider anything of what i wrote to be " big words " then that only reinforces what I've said

Yeah "smart bombs" now... loaded with democracy, remind me again how many countries Iran has invaded?

Your anti Americanism is laughable at this stage.

For the rest of us normal people, we are just thankful it’s America that rules the world and not some crazy Islamic caliphate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

If you’re interested in the constitutional rights issues:
    https://www.lawfareblog.com/legality-us-governments-targeted-killing-program-under-do

Self defence is a valid legal defence of targetted killing alright, but it doesn’t support the killing of Soleimani, as was made clear by the NYT. https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/01/soleimani-strike-law/604417/

https://twitter.com/rcallimachi/status/1213421769777909761?s=21
    Could you imagine what would happen to Trump if it was learned there was an imminent threat to US personnel and he did nothing? I’d imagine a whole new impeachment inquiry by the Democrats would be undertaken claiming him unfit for duty.

The whole episode is crazy. A murderous thug with the death of some 600 US servicemen on his hands, and who was planning more mayhem, is taken out with a surgical strike and Trump is the bad guy. Trump Derangement Syndrome is sweeping the world.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Would you suggest Iran is a more civilised country?

Hard to make that comparison when you've mass crime, mass shootings and people ****ting all over the streets in the US

• Advertisement

The US have a well oiled media propaganda machine that paints them as global liberators, you can see its effect on some of the posters here

Yeah i think the vast majority of europeans and the 2 plus million Jews, gypsies and homosexuals rescued from concentration camps at the end of WW2 wouldn't be calling it propaganda.

Hard to make that comparison when you've mass crime, mass shootings and people sitting all over the streets in the US

So no answer? Are you suggesting Iran is more civilised or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Your anti Americanism is laughable at this stage.

For the rest of us normal people, we are just thankful it’s America that rules the world and not some crazy Islamic caliphate.

Why would America like to rule a crazy caliphate?

Isn't a caliphate a sunni aspiration and not a shia aspiration.

You are getting really mixed up with the different culture's and religions in the middle East.

You should read a few Robert Fisk books

So no answer? Are you suggesting Iran is more civilised or not.

In some ways yes, in other ways no, I think the leadership of Iran are far more level headed that's for sure, you basically have a knuckle head in charge of the US

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Speaking of which - no doubt you’ll be posting up a link to evidence supporting the notion that this killing was legal?

It was, Chuck posted a link a couple posts back referring to that subject

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

The Japanese attacked them first. Are you seriously blaming the US for ending the war early. The nuclear bombs saved many American lives.

Are you seriously suggesting that the bombing of Nagasaki was IN ANY WAY necessary?

Surely you expected me to reply with the above question ???

If you consider anything of what i wrote to be " big words " then that only reinforces what I've said

Well you threw a load of words together accusing someone who doesnt agree with you of being a troll. By all means argue your point and rebuff mine but don't be accusing someone of trolling because they have a different point of view from yourself.

You are better than that, im sure of it.

notobtuse wrote: »
    Could you imagine what would happen to Trump if it was learned there was an imminent threat to US personnel and he did nothing? I’d imagine a whole new impeachment inquiry by the Democrats would be undertaken claiming him unfit for duty.

The whole episode is crazy. A murderous thug with the death of some 600 US servicemen on his hands, and who was planning more mayhem, is taken out with a surgical strike and Trump is the bad guy. Trump Derangement Syndrome is sweeping the world.

Thing is - there’s nothing to suggest any imminent threat to US personnel. And where exactly are you basing this 600 deaths figure on? What connects the man to them?

Are you seriously suggesting that the bombing of Nagasaki was IN ANY WAY necessary?

Surely you expected me to reply with the above question ???

We are going way off subject here but many will say the bombing of those cities saved more lives in the long run. I'm not sure of that myself but it is a worthwhile argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Yeah i think the vast majority of europeans and the 2 plus million Jews, gypsies and homosexuals rescued from concentration camps at the end of WW2 wouldn't be calling it propaganda.

That was 75 years ago!

They're not calling it anything because they're mostly dead.

Advertisement