Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US take out Suleimani - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Would Trump's hotels in Ireland and Scotland be targets ??
    prop not there is one in dubai though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

NIMAN wrote: »
    How exactly?

I remember back in the Iraq war days, we were told the same, how hundreds of thousands of US troops would be sent back in bodybags.....and it lasted what? A week or two with little or no resistance.

I'm just wondering how Iran will strike back at the US in this case?
    No doubt there might be the odd terrorist attack against US targets, but in the great scheme of things, the US has the potential to do a lot more damage to Iran than vice versa.
    If anything, terror attacks killing a dozen or two will get Trump more support for future actions.

Unless other more knowledgeable folk can shed some light on what I'm missing?

Iran does not have the capability of a military strike directly against the US and as stupid as this act was by the US they are not that dumb that they would attempt a ground war by invading Iran.

But what would happen if Iran goes after the friends of the US in the region. Saudi Arabia in particular?

They could cause a lot of problems worldwide to oil supplies and if they invaded Kuwait, then similar to Iraq invading, the US would have no options other than to commit ground forces to protect not just Kuwait but Saudi Arabia.

Why should one take sides?

Would you not rather ascertain the facts, whatever they may be?

Who would you believe Obama or Assad?

The torture of children is a fact. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/26/months-tortured-assad-prisons-syria

People don't mind sharia law so long as its carried out by a 'secular' dictator.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

What was one of Iran's top military men doing in Iraq?

Expanding Iranian influence in the region. The last thing they want is another strong Iraqi leader in charge.....they want total control there, and that mean's no more Saddam Hussein's.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

charlie14 wrote: »

They could cause a lot of problems worldwide to oil supplies and if they invaded Kuwait, then similar to Iraq invading, the US would have no options other than to commit ground forces to protect not just Kuwait but Saudi Arabia.

Why would Iran copy the mistakes of Iraq before them, and have their army decimated?

Invading any country in the region that would mean US ground troops going in is only going to end one way. A humiliating defeat.

• Advertisement

jmreire wrote: »
    Expanding Iranian influence in the region. The last thing they want is another strong Iraqi leader in charge.....they want total control there, and that mean's no more Saddam Hussein's.

Solemani was the most powerful man in the middle east ..it was his strategy that helped assad turn the tide in return Assad helped him promote shiite influence ..but yeah ..assad is 'secular'..

.THEY ARE ALL SECULAR ..they send their kids to western schools ...sleep around drink alchohol etc. They just use religion as a tool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Surprised if Putin gave Trump the OK.
    With impeachment and an election coming up, what's the lives of a few hundred US civilians and soldiers? I see Oil prices and gold are up.

Seemingly they've had the chance before but it was accepted that killing him would be a step too far stability wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Nitty Gritty

Serious question. Is iloveyourvibes and beechwoodspark the same person ?
    The both of them join in and take over threads just to wind people up & spout absolute rubbish as facts and they are the worst trolls on boards at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Why would Iran copy the mistakes of Iraq before them, and have their army decimated?

Invading any country in the region that would mean US ground troops going in is only going to end one way. A humiliating defeat.

If it comes to war then Iran would have two options.
    Either have their army sitting in Iran just being bombed, or attempt to inflict casualties on the US by dragging them into a ground war.

Surprised if Putin gave Trump the OK.
    With impeachment and an election coming up, what's the lives of a few hundred US civilians and soldiers? I see Oil prices and gold are up.
    i would say putin is delighted ...he can get influence in azerbaijan back now without soleimini

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

What a load of crap. Assad didn't use chemical weapons on his own people

https://youtu.be/IML3FpuLH_Q

Like most middle East dictators Assad is bad news as was Gidaffi. As is the Saudi head.

What about torturing the school kids, and the protests which were peace full until they were hijacked? Any sources other than YouTube concerning the chemical attacks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Trump tweeted " Iran never won a war, but never lost a negotiation.”

Off his fcuking head if he thinks the Iranians will negotiate with them after this...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Soleimani and Iran work a lot with some of the groups in Iraq and Syria. They helped fight ISIL with the Iraqis and Syrians. Whilst, yes, he's just there for pushing Iranian influence in the area, the same is true for the Americans. They're just pushing their influence, and Iran have far more of a right to be there than the US do.

Off his fcuking head if he thinks the Iranians will negotiate with them after this...
    I dunno maybe they will. Honestly they would be wise to.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

titan18 wrote: »
    Soleimani and Iran work a lot with some of the groups in Iraq and Syria. They helped fight ISIL with the Iraqis and Syrians. Whilst, yes, he's just there for pushing Iranian influence in the area, the same is true for the Americans. They're just pushing their influence, and Iran have far more of a right to be there than the US do.

since when did stuff like that matter to the Yanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Im sure Trump has a plan for what comes next. Hes probably getting briefings now as we speak. Hes not some guy that would just rush in without painstakingly working through the consequences.

Looololl

titan18 wrote: »

You forfeit your right to be somewhere if you help a man who castrated children.

Soleimani had no right to walk this earth. Any part of it. Iran and beyond.

the idea you have more of a right to act brutally in an area because you are from it is ridiculous.

I can't believe some people in this thread are taking Assad's side over Obama's side. Its hilarious!

Ah yes good ol Obama, amazing the military under him didn't see all those Toyota pick up trucks full of head choppers off to commit more atrocities kicking up dust across the Syrian land.. The Russians had to sort that one out, I can only imagine the faces in the pentagon...

I dunno maybe they will. Honestly they would be wise to.

They haven't had much interest before this and I highly doubt they will now, considering the stature Soleimani had, it would be like the Iranians taking out Pompeo

Ah yes good ol Obama, amazing the military under him didn't see all those Toyota pick up trucks full of head choppers off to commit more atrocities kicking up dust across the Syrian land.. The Russians had to sort that one out, I can only imagine the faces in the pentagon...
    They did actually.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I can't believe some people in this thread are taking Assad's side over Obama's side. Its hilarious!

Its not one side against the other for many posters. The likes of myself are appalled at the behavior of both sides. The US are not the high and mighty you seem to think they are. And then you have f**king ISIS thrown into the mix aswell, a group who were formed in a US controlled jail.

Stop being so dramatic and educate yourself with facts.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

There was a great documentary on the bbc(?) a few years back about the Assad family. Went into some detail about her as well, fascinating stuff. She seemed to fancy herself as a Middle Eastern version of Princess Di.

There was a bbc documentary about aleppo rebel's, who then beheaded a 13 year old kid, bbc pulled it afterwards, cowards.

They did actually.

Yeah the odd token bombing... Compared to the Russians flying sometimes hundreds of bombing runs a day, the US were all up in arms about it haha, the Russians played a blinder on that one, made Obama look like an idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Where is Jared?

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Its not one side against the other for many posters. The likes of myself are appalled at the behavior of both sides. The US are not the high and mighty you seem to think they are.

Stop being so dramatic and educate yourself with facts.

I just know so much more about it than you its hard to take you seriously quite frankly. That is not my fault.

You don't even seem to be aware of the basics. Like the USA had way more troops in Syria than Russia. They gave way more intervention.

Some of the things you have said are ridiculous. And you pay no heed to facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

Trump is a puppet..but it aint the Russians pulling the strings.
    Almost everything he does is for the benefit of a particular Middle Eastern nation, a nation that has been angling for the US to go to war with Iran for a long long time.

Yeah the odd token bombing... Compared to the Russians flying sometimes hundreds of bombing runs a day, the US were all up in arms about it haha, the Russians played a blinder on that one, made Obama look like an idiot

So russia has the right to be there ??? Weird ...

And you support Putin over Obama again weird.

Russia has to take some of the blame also for 400,000 deaths in syria ..just precisely BECAUSE Of the way they handled it vrs Obama.

Russia massacred the place.

Who would you believe Obama or Assad?

The torture of children is a fact. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/26/months-tortured-assad-prisons-syria

People don't mind sharia law so long as its carried out by a 'secular' dictator.

I wouldn't believe either of them. I wouldn't trust either of them to tell me the time.

I'm not disputing that Assad is a menace, but your 'choose a team' angle is very bizarre, particularly when the other team is Obama. Obama has oceans of innocent blood on his own hands, including the blood of children.

So you'll have to forgive me if I see neither as a pillar of integrity.

So russia has the right to be there ??? Weird ...

And you support Putin over Obama again weird.

Russia has to take some of the blame also for 400,000 deaths in syria ..just precisely BECAUSE Of the way they handled it vrs Obama.

Russia massacred the place.

Russia were invited there, the US are there illegally under international law

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I am no fan of Donald, but he may turn out to be right here; when you consider the following

:In 2009, a leaked report stated that General Soleimani met Christopher R. Hill and General Raymond T. Odierno (America's two most senior officials in Baghdad at the time) in the office of Iraq’s president, Jalal Talabani (who knew General Soleimani for decades). Hill and General Odierno denied the occurrence of the meeting.[35]

On 24 January 2011, Soleimani was promoted to Major General by Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei.[30][36] Khamenei was described as having a close relationship with him, calling Soleimani a "living martyr" and helping him financially.[27]

Soleimani was described as "the single most powerful operative in the Middle East today" and the principal military strategist and tactician in Iran's effort to combat Western influence and promote the expansion of Shiite and Iranian influence throughout the Middle East.[27] In Iraq, as the commander of the Quds force, he was believed to have strongly influenced the organization of the Iraqi government, notably supporting the election of previous Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri Al-Maliki.[27][37] Soleimani has even been described as being "Iran’s very own Erwin Rommel".[38]

I think Iraq in the fallout is now going to have to choose side. As i said previously Soleimani was seen as untouchable up to this point, so the Iranian Clerics may genuinely fear if they escalate this further, that they might be next.

So, after a limited response via their proxies, it may lead to the Iranian Clerics seeking to negotiate in private, while publicly denouncing the great satan and promising to open the gates of hell...

Advertisement