Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US take out Suleimani - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Does anyone one else think that this was all arranged?

If so, then well played.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,309 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Fonny122 wrote: »
    Trumpism really is little more than a cult of hate, nothing more. Just look at the trump supporters in this thread, positively giddy about death and war kicking off and talking about it like premier league fans in the days before the start of the season. No different to the glee they take in what is happening to the children on the Mexican border.

They're a sad, disgusting lot who will be remembered for what they are.

Both sides were positively giddy at the thought of war tbh. Why pretend its only "trump supporters" (as if there are loads of those here on boards or on this thread)

mulbot wrote: »
    You'll see hardcore loyalty now. Americans bluff has been answered,well done Iran,let it rain
    mulbot wrote: »
    Hahaha inbred hillbillies will be sorry they became prostitutes for Israel
    archer22 wrote: »
    Happy hunting Iran, hit the scum hard and fast.
    archer22 wrote: »
    It must be dawning on Trump, Pompeo and Bolton now that there will be hit squads coming after them as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

"Iran took & concluded proportionate measures in self-defense under Article 51 of UN Charter targeting base from which cowardly armed attack against our citizens & senior officials were launched.

We do not seek escalation or war, but will defend ourselves against any aggression." - Zarif

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Iran have responded but without necessarily escalating. Honour satisfied?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Does anyone one else think that this was all arranged?

If so, then well played.

Trump is the shrewd deal maker.
    “Only Iraqis will die? You got yourself a deal!”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Fonny122

Canada is a given

Good chance, though they are apparently very pissed about Trump (who labeled them a national security threat) not consulting them, and interestingly they have moved troops out od Iraq and into Kuwait, which wouldn't suggest them having much interest in this mess.

Not too likely but if they don't, it really will be the ultimate indictment of Trumps absolutely stunning incompetence and uselessness.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Headshot wrote: »
    Doesn't look like any patriot missiles defending the base

Possible. We'll probably find out in the morning when the damage assessments come out. The missile control computers will have a zone plugged into them basically saying "If the missile's going to land here, intercept. If the missile's going to land there, don't bother wasting the ammo, it's going to hit dirt". The lack of interceptors visible don't mean a hell of a lot. I don't buy the 'intentionally missing' line. There's no way of being sure with an ICBM. A base in Iraq is a -lot- of empty space. I should know, I've seen my fair share of them. I don't believe C-RAM is capable against SRBMs, I wouldn't be surprised if a local militia decided to lob their own rocket or mortar or two at the same time.

Note, the IRGC is claiming the attack, the regular Iranian military has not done anything except defensive stuff so far. If they stay within their borders, I don't think the USAF or USN will immediately attack.
    Consensus seems to suggest between 5 and 10 arrived in Iraq , seems either counter measures worked very well or most of them Iranian missiles you cheered missed and missed badly

Also possible the US Navy had something to say on the matter. The primary ballistic missile defense system for the US is actually ship-borne, and I wouldn't be surprised if the USN has a destroyer in the gulf with a few interceptors aboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Fonny122 wrote: »
    Good chance, though they are apparently very pissed about Trump (who labeled them a national security threat) not consulting them, and interestingly they have moved troops out od Iraq and into Kuwait, which wouldn't suggest them having much interest in this mess.

Not too likely but if they don't, it really will be the ultimate indictment of Trumps absolutely stunning incompetence and uselessness.

Absolutely they are pissed and they wont weigh in yet, but ultimately they have no choice.

From a buddy of mine who was a Marine based at one of the bases.

"So, apparently Iran just wasted a dozen or so valuable surface to surface missiles on a base that makes Tatooine look like the Taj Mahal. We received plenty of indirect fire when I was there in 2005-06, when the base was far more densely populated than it is now, and we suffered very few casualties. Rocketing Al Asad is like playing darts, on a rocking ship, from 50 feet away...in the dark. "

Further disinclined to go with "intentional miss"

Absolutely they are pissed and they wont weigh in yet, but ultimately they have no choice.

Yeah most likely, it seems like trudeau has yet to say anything which may be quite telling in itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

From a buddy of mine who was a Marine based at one of the bases.

"So, apparently Iran just wasted a dozen or so valuable surface to surface missiles on a base that makes Tatooine look like the Taj Mahal. We received plenty of indirect fire when I was there in 2005-06, when the base was far more densely populated than it is now, and we suffered very few casualties. Rocketing Al Asad is like playing darts, on a rocking ship, from 50 feet away...in the dark. "

Further disinclined to go with "intentional miss"

So just Iranian incompetence then.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Both sides were positively giddy at the thought of war tbh. Why pretend its only "trump supporters" (as if there are loads of those here on boards or on this thread)

Thanks for that, I had seen the last one which I didn't think of as a sports mentality and more stating a bit of a fact, but the other three are equally pathetic.

Tens of thousands of people - and that's a best case scenario - are sure to die if this escalates any more at all. To see people celebrating it is utterly deranged.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Hoping there was nothing sinister behind this ...

https://twitter.com/ranarahimpour/status/1214752909927362560

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Iran have responded but without necessarily escalating. Honour satisfied?

Nothing honourable about any of this, and they aren't they bloody Klingons.

Based on the rules of 10 year boys in the street, they got to inflict their dead arm on a compliant opponent and all is even again, even though it clearly isn't.

From a purely selfish point of view, if it does escalate to wider regional attacks, I only hope a few Hutch Kinaham types get taken out in Dubai.

Either way, expensive auld petrol for a few months lads.

Saw this on reddit, very apt right now:

Khrushchev to Kennedy concerning the Cuban Missile Crisis: "We and you ought not pull on the ends of a rope in which you have tied the knots of war. Because the more the two of us pull the tighter the knot will be tied. And then it will be necessary to cut that knot, and what that would mean is not for me to explain to you. I have participated in two wars and know that war ends when it has rolled through cities and villages, everywhere sowing death and destruction. For such is the logic of war. If people do not display wisdom they will clash like blind moles and then mutual annihilation will commence."

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I seem to recall russia firing newest and greatest missile at an isis target in Syria a few years back like tonight Irish people on here cheering that Russia was sticking it to America ,but some of these missiles missed their targets in Syria and ended up hitting civilian areas in Iran instead .

We had several obvious cases of premature ejaculations at the idea Iran was winning tonight ,it's real they are attacking America yeah Iraqis are going to die who cares America is being attacked,

30 odd missile or rockets 10 may have made it to Iraq 20 didn't and no Americans killed ,

But wait according to boardies they missed on purpose .

Clean up on isle 3 ,clean up on isle 3 there has been spillages !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its a bit like when the comedy farmer shouts 'get orf my land' and fires a warning shot in the air and the dead duck lands on his head.

It would be Ukrainian though, wouldn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Not again ,

Surely Iran cleared all airspace before lobbing rockets into the night sky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I don't believe C-RAM is capable against ICBMs, I wouldn't be surprised if a local militia decided to lob their own rocket or mortar or two at the same time.

Intercontinental ballistic missiles were used? :confused:

tuxy wrote: »
    Intercontinental ballistic missiles were used? :confused:

No, you're right. SRBMs, my typo.

The Ukrainian airplane is reported down to "Technical difficulties".

I guess, in theory, a drone interfacing with an engine is a 'technical difficulty'. Airplane was on fire on the way down. Could also be a plain old bird strike or some such though.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/01/ukrainian-airliner-crashes-tehran-iranian-media-200108032720868.html

I guess it'll be interesting to see if Iran let's Boeing's representatives check out the wreckage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

Think this is a legitimate video - from a BBC Persian correspondent:
    https://twitter.com/BahmanKalbasi/status/1214759246795100161

A crush with 50+ people before, now another ~180 dead in this crash, potentially...

News agency Al Hadath tweeted the following:

alHadath.png

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

why would they target a plane taking off from their own airport?

Perhaps there were Americans on board given all had been advised to leave Iran?

Could be a genuine crash of course though and the timing of it just coincidental, as was the case with Flight 587 which crashed in New York shortly after taking off from JFK (killing 260) just four weeks after 911.

why would they target a plane taking off from their own airport?

Same reason a US Navy ship would target an airliner flying around Iran, or a Russian SAM would target an airliner over Ukraine. High tensions and crew expecting to see an attack.

Not sure how that news agency concluded an Iranian missile, though. Unless the Iranian military is being particularly forthright.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I would not be surprised if the Iranians mistakenly shot the plane down confusing it with an US attack after it shot missiles.

There aren't many reasons why a plane explodes in the sky other than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Has to have been taken down deliberately. What are the chances if that happening a couple of hours after the rockets were fired? Boeing's just dont crash that frequently.

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    Has to have been taken down deliberately. What are the chances if that happening a couple of hours after the rockets were fired? Boeing's just dont crash that frequently.

Far more likely to be a mistake.

Hhhm, apparently the engine caught fire according to RT:

A Ukrainian Boeing 737-800 had suffered an engine malfunction before it went down a few minutes after taking off from Tehran’s Imam Khomeini airport, its official has said.
    The engine caught fire when the plane was airborne, Ali Khashani, a senior public relations official at Iran’s major airport, was quoted by local media. The fatal engine failure purportedly saw the jet hitting the ground between the cities of Sharhiar and Parand early in the morning on Wednesday.

The airliner, operated by Ukraine International Airlines (UIA), carried 168 passengers and nine crew, most of whom were Iranians, according to Reza Jafarzadeh, a spokesman for Iran’s Civil Aviation Organization.

https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/1214791875456053251

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

alastair wrote: »
    Why are they firing at the things then? What’s incompetent about landing ten missiles on an air base?

It might be competent if Iran deliberately avoided the US section of the base but Iraqis become casualties instead. Because that helps the current narrative of the Iraqis wanting the US forces to leave.
    A suitable goal for Iran

Advertisement