Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US take out Suleimani - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

GM228 wrote: »
    The flight data disagrees, air speed and rate of ascent were normal when it suddenly stopped transmitting, that does not happen when there is an engine failure.

It did however have a fast rate of ascent (not unusual for a civilian aircraft) which is similar to that used by military aircraft in an active warzone and it is possible an automated defence system was activated mistaken it for a military aircraft.

It would be one hell of a coincidence if this was a run of the mill technical failure rather than the plane being hit by some sort of projectile, given that this night of all nights, so much military activity occured in Iran.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

markodaly wrote: »
    It would be one hell of a coincidence if this was a run of the mill technical failure rather than the plane being hit by some sort of projectile, given that this night of all nights, so much military activity occured in Iran.

Also the pictures emerging of the wreckage are showing foreign object punctures which is consistent with an airplane being shot down, you can see them in the picture on the Tweet showing the passenger manifest I posted.

Here a very reputable source pointing them out:-

https://twitter.com/AeroGazette/status/1214808530458423298?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

You forget the audience. It's domestic not international.
    They could have caused damage if they wanted to.

I know but im saying on the international stage, it shows Iran hadn't got the balls to step over the us red line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I think the US knew that Iran would attack like this to save face with their own citizens and also send the message internationally that they do not want to go to war. Trump's tweet was very calm, like he knew exactly what was happening.
    iebamm2580 wrote: »
    I know but im saying on the international stage, it shows Iran hadn't got the balls to step over the us red line.
    But it also gives the message that Iran does not want a war and if the US was to strike back after this then the US would be seen as the aggressor.

tuxy wrote: »
    I think the US knew that Iran would attack like this to save face with their own citizens and also send the message internationally that they do not want to go to war. Trump's tweet was very calm, like he knew exactly what was happening.

But it also gives the message that Iran does not want a war and if the US was to strike back after this then the US would be seen as the aggressor.

Yes i agree, it completely shows that Iran does not want a war, us has no reason to respond now as no red line has been crossed. Trump 1 iran nil. BTW im no fan of trump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Deub

Everything seems to fall into place for the end of the troubles for now.
    Iran officially replied to the murder with the rockets/missiles.
    US says everything is fine so no need for further actions.
    However it would be a weak response from Iran so targeting an US company (Boeing) by sabotaging a plan was appropriate. Boeing will see some of the debris but the important pieces will be missing (Iranian will say that is all they found on the crash site).
    That way, everyone can keep the “I am powerful” attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

It ends here hopefully. I don't think either side really wants an all out war. Trump gets to claim he took out an army general with a tame Iranian response and Iran gets to say it stood up to US aggression.

Yes i agree, it completely shows that Iran does not want a war, us has no reason to respond now as no red line has been crossed. Trump 1 iran nil. BTW im no fan of trump.

Iran will look weaker and may lose some power in the region but it gets to carry on without their government being toppled.

It ends here hopefully. I don't think either side really wants an all out war. Trump gets to claim he took out an army general with a tame Iranian response and Iran gets to say it stood up to US aggression.

Stood up by blowing a plane full of innocent civilians out of the sky, some the people on here cheering on Iran last night then, clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Black box has been found so we should have a clearer picture soon enough:-

https://twitter.com/Aviation_NewsTW/status/1214817426195410944?s=19

• Advertisement

Stood up by blowing a plane full of innocent civilians out of the sky, some the people on here cheering on Iran last night then, clowns.

The Ukranian govt are saying that wasn't terrorism. I'm impressed with Trumps most recent tweet, for all the crazy stuff he occasionally comes along with fleeting moments of sobriety

The Ukranian govt are saying that wasn't terrorism. I'm impressed with Trumps most recent tweet, for all the crazy stuff he occasionally comes along with fleeting moments of sobriety

Id like to think its not terrorism but it really would be unbelievable coincidence.

I disagree with him on most things but he does seem to be genuinely anti-war. I'm convinced there would be an ongoing conflict in the middle east by now if Hillary was president.

Id like to think its not terrorism but it really would be unbelievable coincidence.

It would be strange for the Iranians to take out 71 of their own citizens to make a point but who knows

It would be strange for the Iranians to take out 71 of their own citizens to make a point but who knows

I think if it was planned Iran would have military all over the crash site and the black box would go missing.

Who knows with a crackpot regime like Iran. Most likely just incompetence from there military.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Black box has been found so we should have a clearer picture soon enough:-

https://twitter.com/Aviation_NewsTW/status/1214817426195410944?s=19

Honestly doubt we will get the truth. Judging by the Ukrainian Embassy statement the cover up/clean up is well underway.

I don't think Boeing are sending a team of investigators as they usually would.

Who knows with a crackpot regime like Iran.

They did say the wouldn't kill any US civilians, but didn't say anything about civilians of US allies, maybe that's what happened

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

The flight data disagrees, air speed and rate of ascent were normal when it suddenly stopped transmitting, that does not happen when there is an engine failure/fire.

It did however have a fast rate of ascent (not unusual for a civilian aircraft) which is similar to that used by military aircraft in an active warzone and it is possible an automated defence system was activated mistaken it for a military aircraft.

Why would the Ukrainian embassy lie about it?

They did say the wouldn't kill any US civilians, but didn't say anything about civilians of US allies, maybe that's what happened

Iran claimed 80 us personnel dead in the military strikes which is a complete lie, i didnt see where they said they wouldn't kill any us civilians, not much revenge for your top general being killed.

• Advertisement

Iran claimed 80 us personnel dead in the military strikes which is a complete lie, i didnt see where they said they wouldn't kill any us civilians, not much revenge for your top general being killed.

Exactly, Iran will list a significant number of US casualties while the rest of the world will know that's not true.

Anyway im off, hope the clowns cheering on iran last night realise what idiots they are now, dark-age country, joke of a military.

Remarkable that grown adults apply knacker logic from outside Supermacs to international confrontations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

And hoping they bombed Doonbeg. Wasters.

Iran look like the fools they are this morning much like a few posters here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Remarkable that grown adults apply knacker logic from outside Supermacs to international confrontations.

Lovely phrasing, I needed a chuckle on my way to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Or the restraint to not escalate things further.

I wouldn’t see it as a lack of ‘balls’. It would be idiotic to take on the US, it would be suicidal and there would be no winners.

The US don’t want a war either, it would destabilise the entire region. A report came out only a couple of weeks ago that ISIS are regrouping in Iraq, that mess is a direct result of toppling Saddam.

Isis in Iraq: Militants 'getting stronger again' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-50850325

• Registered Users Posts: 43 cosybeach

tuxy wrote: »
    Exactly, Iran will list a significant number of US casualties while the rest of the world will know that's not true.

Iran hardliners live in a bubble many people killed yesterday at a mass rally encouraged by them.
    Sad thing is its has more oil and gas could be very wealthy and have a thriving economy instead it suppresses and kills anyone who calls this out.

Anyway im off, hope the clowns cheering on iran last night realise what idiots they are now, dark-age country, joke of a military.

Agree with you on the posters on here but if this was Iran's way to make it clear they do not want war then you have to at least respect that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

Iran said a dark day is coming for America. Instead they blew up a plane full of Canadians and bombed an empty air field.

They must be working for team Trump 2020/with that logic

• Advertisement

cosybeach wrote: »
    Iran hardliners live in a bubble many people killed yesterday at a mass rally encouraged by them.
    Sad thing is its has more oil and gas could be very wealthy and have a thriving economy instead it suppresses and kills anyone who calls this out.

You think they should be more like Saubi Arabia?
    Iran and Saudi Arabia are as bad as each other but SA has more powerful allies.

Advertisement