Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US take out Suleimani - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Who knows. Sure they murdered 1500 of their own citizens for protesting a short while back. They are completely insane.

There’s a difference between evil and insane. But hard to see what they gain from this. Labelling the regime as insane underestimates them, everything Khameni does seems carefully calculated to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Trump's supporters even some Irish ones are still claiming he's great. And i am mad ..because i don't adore him.

Its like he has given them a drug.

MadYaker wrote: »
    There’s a difference between evil and insane. But hard to see what they gain from this. Labelling the regime as insane underestimates them, everything Khameni does seems carefully calculated to me.

They are very paranoid most dictatorships are. And cruelty is not a part of a well rounded stable personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Trump's supporters even some Irish ones are still claiming he's great. And i am mad ..because i don't adore him.

Its like he has given them a drug.

Nothing to do with this thread. You seem obsessed with Trump, there’s plenty of other threads where you can talk about him. No need for it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

:pac: Jesus Christ i know it's early in year but have the supermarkets ran out of foil hats already.

You do know that the US "accidently" shot down a packed passenger airline over Iran some years ago, and then decorated those responsible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

I can’t find this press conference, where did you see it? Nothing on their site and nothing in this thread either.

They held a press conference at 10.00 local time at Boryspil Airport.

https://in.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1Z714W?__twitter_impression=true

Here's their brief statement before the conference:-

https://twitter.com/FlightModeblog/status/1214843204706717696?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭jmreire

Its all conjecture at this point, but it remind's me of a bomb placed on a Russian aircraft leaving Sharm-El-Sheik...isis got blamed for that. Maybe a response from one or more Iranian airport workers? Baggage handler's etc? Just thinking out loud.

Nothing to do with this thread. You seem obsessed with Trump, there’s plenty of other threads where you can talk about him. No need for it here.

Trump ordered the killing of suleimani. His actions next as well as the Iranians are what we are trying to predict and comment on.

Yeah yeah i am totally obessed with trump cool.

Now ..moving on.
    In the last few minutes Ukrain International Airlines has stated at a press conference there was no issues with the plane before take off and it was "one of their best".

Most of the passengers were Iranian and Canadian ...i am not sure an attack of some sort would make sense from Iran.

There isn't info suggesting this crash is linked to the missile attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

jmreire wrote: »
    Its all conjecture at this point, but it remind's me of a bomb placed on a Russian aircraft leaving Sharm-El-Sheik...isis got blamed for that. Maybe a response from one or more Iranian airport workers? Baggage handler's etc? Just thinking out loud.

There were 83 Iranians killed so I sincerely doubt your theory.

You do know that the US "accidently" shot down a packed passenger airline over Iran some years ago, and then decorated those responsible?
    There were many canadians and three british killed i don't think they would dare.

Putin might ...but tinfoil hat put away ..i think it was probably just an accident and that the pr from the Ukrainians saying it was one of their best is just that pr damage control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

There were many canadians and three british killed i don't think they would dare.

Putin might ...but tinfoil hat put away ..i think it was probably just an accident and that the pr from the Ukrainians saying it was one of their best is just that pr damage control.

Just responding to a poster claiming it was tin foil hat territory to think the US would shoot down an airliner.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

That letter above says it had maintenance completed on 06/01/20 and then crashed 07/01/20. They are very close dates to when maintenance is done and then it fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It was a three year old aircraft. Most are a lot older and more susceptible to faults.

Just responding to a poster claiming it was tin foil hat territory to think the US would shoot down an airliner.
    I'm confused now.

There was an earthquake perhaps that affected something ..ground crew ...

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Given how things looked when I going to bed last night, I think this is as good an outcome as could be expected. The internet hardmen on here seem to be disappointed that Iran "bottled" it and didn't give reason to escalate further but I'm grateful that Iran showed some restraint and cooler heads prevailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

GM228 wrote: »
    In the last few minutes Ukrain International Airlines has stated at a press conference there was no issues with the plane before take off and it was "one of their best".
    The second part is a non-sequiter.

The first part is kind of a given. If there was an issue with the plane, it wouldn't have taken off.

You'll find virtually every statement in the aftermath of a plane crash will state that there were no issues with the plane when it left the airport. It's standard arse-covering.

So you've given basically no evidence of anything. This doesn't appear to be a crash that's any different to any other except that it coincided with a rocket attack elsewhere in the country.

In the aftermath of MH17, there were videos of the plane falling out of the sky, of military personnell celebrating and talking about shotting it down. Sufficient evidence that there was a deliberate aspect to the crash.

What evidence have we got in this instance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

markodaly wrote: »
    This.

There were many posters here, literally exploding in their pants at the thought of the Iranians giving the Ol Big Satan a bloody nose.

Instead, they killed 70 odd of their own and 70 odd Canadians among others.
    Useful idiots.

Irrational thinking to this extent is bordering on delusional.take a break from news and internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Gatling wrote: »
    I seem to recall russia firing newest and greatest missile at an isis target in Syria a few years back like tonight Irish people on here cheering that Russia was sticking it to America ,but some of these missiles missed their targets in Syria and ended up hitting civilian areas in Iran instead .

We had several obvious cases of premature ejaculations at the idea Iran was winning tonight ,it's real they are attacking America yeah Iraqis are going to die who cares America is being attacked,

30 odd missile or rockets 10 may have made it to Iraq 20 didn't and no Americans killed ,

But wait according to boardies they missed on purpose .

Clean up on isle 3 ,clean up on isle 3 there has been spillages !

One more time for luck.

15 missiles launched.
    11 hit targets, 4 failed in flight.
    None stopped by countermeasures
    None intercepted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

It was a token effort by Iran. It had to be done. They will spin it up at home. Good optics etc. The 'tension' will fizzle out.

However the downed plane will need to be explained and that will not look good.

Top Gun 2 will be a massive hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,373 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

GM228 wrote: »

Not surprising given relations between the Iran and US. As with MH17 some neutral authorities will be requested to get involved and take relevant artefacts for the investigation. It won’t be Britain and the US, but someone else and the ball will get rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

alastair wrote: »
    One more time for luck.

15 missiles launched.
    11 hit targets, 4 failed in flight.
    None stopped by countermeasures
    None intercepted.

I would have thought the American bases would have some type of missile defence system in operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭josip

seamus wrote: »

In the aftermath of MH17, there were videos of the plane falling out of the sky, of military personnell celebrating and talking about shotting it down. Sufficient evidence that there was a deliberate aspect to the crash.

What evidence have we got in this instance?

There is a video of the plane on fire for at least 30 seconds on the way down

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/01/ukrainian-airliner-crashes-tehran-iranian-media-200108032720868.html

Perhaps one of the aviation boardsies can say how common it is for that to happen in the event of a mechanical failure?

I think it was shot down by the Iranians by mistake who would have been on edge expecting a possible US retaliation.

markodaly wrote: »
    Most likely cause at this stage until we know all the facts.
    I would not be saying they did it on purpose, but someone somewhere ****ed up.

If indeed it was engine failure or something of the sorts, the odds of that happening on the night, with all the military activity going on, would be in the tens of thousands to one.

The odds would be no different than on any other night.

josip wrote: »
    There is a video of the plane on fire for at least 30 seconds on the way down

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/01/ukrainian-airliner-crashes-tehran-iranian-media-200108032720868.html

Perhaps one of the aviation boardsies can say how common it is for that to happen in the event of a mechanical failure?

I've already done that, it's not at all common for an engine fire to result in a plane going down as a fireball at a 45⁰ angle, there is other evidence such as the ADS-B information which does not correspond to engine fire or failure.

And now the Ukrainian Embassy is dropping the engine failure claim:-

https://twitter.com/Aviation_NewsTW/status/1214861144365518850?s=19

I would have thought the American bases would have some type of missile defence system in operation.

So would I, but either they don’t, they didn’t work, or they opted not to use them, as reported to the LA Times. The gun turret things they did use didn’t have any effect anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

oMy best guess at this stage is the Iranians realising they are complete clowns and likely to be destroyed told the Americans (through the Iraqi's) well in advance that they needed to be seen to spin something to their people and the Americans said here's an empty air base with a few drones and helicopters for you to take out. Situation descalated but now the thickos in Iran have shot down a plane either by mistake or by a rouge commander and their arses are gone loose again.

Let's just be thankful Americans have a level headed President.

😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

oMy best guess at this stage is the Iranians realising they are complete clowns and likely to be destroyed told the Americans (through the Iraqi's) well in advance that they needed to be seen to spin something to their people and the Americans said here's an empty air base with a few drones and helicopters for you to take out. Situation descalated but now the thickos in Iran have shot down a plane either by mistake or by a rouge commander and their arses are gone loose again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

alastair wrote: »
    😂

Clinton would have attacked Tehran.

Advertisement