Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US take out Suleimani - mod warning in OP

Comments

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Missed Trump's speech. How many times did he mention Obama?

He just mentioned the previous administration while calling out what he thinks was a bad deal because Iran got a lot of money as part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

The talk to nation last night was probably before he found out that the mullahs of Iran gave the bases the chance to clear. No advanced warning, it would of been war he would of been declaring war!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Odhinn wrote: »
    A few. The usual guff re the treaty the US reneged on.
    You really don't understand our system, do you? No reneged... what is done by executive order can be undone by executive order. Obama didn't get it passed through Congress because he knew it was so bad it would never have flied. That's why he did it through executive order... which is only good as long as he was president.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭RoryMac

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    This is what I hoped for.

Iran and US have managed this crisis well.

I'd imagine a lot of work being done behind the scenes from other countries putting pressure on both the US & Iran to de-escalate the situation.

The attack last night from Iran with prior warning given had the look of a free shot to save face and allow for both sides to stand down

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The talk to nation last night was probably before he found out that the mullahs of Iran gave the bases the chance to clear. No advanced warning, it would of been war he would of been declaring war!

It was very well managed. Good on them both.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

notobtuse wrote: »
    Only Democrats and their media handmaidens. ;)

Lol some phones have better screens than others.
    How did you smash yours then.

I'd be more Red than Blue to be honest, but I see it as it is.

Just because I lean right, it doesn't mean that I have to lack a mind and opinion of my own, I don't like war but sure who does?

I might suppose that the proxy attacks might still take place.

But at least a nation to nation war is defused for now.

Good work on the leadership of both nations.

nthclare wrote: »
    Lol some phones have better screens than others.
    How did you smash yours then.

I'd be more Red than Blue to be honest, but I see it as it is.

Just because I lean right, it doesn't mean that I have to lack a mind and opinion of my own, I don't like war but sure who does?
    Phone’s intact and doing just fine. I can’t say the same for members of CNN and MSLSD. The speech went exactly as I had hoped for. Don’t get sucked into bogus stereotypes.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Gatling wrote: »
    Yes I said Iran shot down the plane i stand by it .

Blackwater still exists according to - that's a lie

I said it didn't, cheerful said it did apparently they changed their name several times and were bought out and runs as American training or something like that .

So finally you admit you were wrong about blackwater. That's progress i suppose. I understand you can't share your intelligence information publicly, so we will just have to accept your word that the plane was downed;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Us mere mortals would have no idea what's going on in the background but it wouldn't surprise me if Putin was acting as mediator.
    Maybe that's why he's in Damascus now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Us mere mortals would have no idea what's going on in the background but it wouldn't surprise me if Putin was acting as mediator.
    Maybe that's why he's in Damascus now?

He's with Erdogan discussing a gas pipeline...Erdogan better watch himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Iran will box clever and play the waiting game. Iran is not going anywhere. US presidents come and go.

Like when the Taliban told the US that they can never win simply because the US will have to go home at some stage. Now look, the US negotiating with the Taliban.

Okaaay. They created the crisis or more specifically the US did in the first place last week.

This is like congratulating an arsonist for putting out his own fire.

There was never going to a nation to nation conventional war. Nobody believed that for a second.

It is "as you were".

Iran will box clever and play the waiting game. Iran is not going anywhere. US presidents come and go.

Like when the Taliban told the US that they can never win simply because the US will have to go home at some stage. Now look, the US negotiating with the Taliban.
    That's right. The only way to win is to kill your enemies or negotiate with them. Grownups like Trump know this. But Orange Man Bad, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

So no war as expected. Donald and those in his ear are clearly hoping for regime change from within by increasing the sanctions further.

Yes, but the dialogue has been pushed backed into the diplomatic space.

The underlying issues still live on.

So no war as expected. Donald and those in his ear are clearly hoping for regime change from within by increasing the sanctions further.

That's a hard hill to climb.
    Time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

notobtuse wrote: »
    That's right. The only way to win is to kill your enemies or negotiate with them. Grownups like Trump know this. But Orange Man Bad, eh?

I can't see Iran negotiating with terrorists and assasins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

Trump just made speech live,

Appears to be cooling down the rhetoric and would seem no retaliation from US is the feeling.

good for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

J Mysterio wrote: »
    If you're winning 1-0, away goals doesn't come in to it.[/quot

They actually do ( away goals ) , over a number of legs / matches.

But, seeing as Iran " bottled it " , it's game over . Win for Trump !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭quokula

Okaaay. They created the crisis or more specifically the US did in the first place last week.

This is like congratulating an arsonist for putting out his own fire.

There was never going to a nation to nation conventional war. Nobody believed that for a second.

It is "as you were".

It's more like congratulating an arsonist when the victim put out the fire and decided not to press charges.

The elephant in the room here and the underlying puppet master is Saudi Arabia.

Saudi Arabia is pushing the US to remove Iran as the regional power and of course the Saudi's have plenty of clout to put the squeeze on.

The new sanctions also reinforce American pressure now.

So much kicking of balls.

This puts pressure on EU and UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Now is the time to get sat around the tables and get talking not go down the proxy route of tit for tat.. it's pretty clear that trump was thankful for the early warning, both sides need to take the opportunity that is here for both sides..
    or the Iranians wait and hope for a new potus come November to re sign the US back up to the deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,147 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

All about oil and getting Trump re-elected imo.

The power struggle in the region is far from over..

Expect more ebbs and flows.

All about oil and getting Trump re-elected imo.

Factors in a complex equation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Just saw there were over 60 canadian citizens on the crashed flight. Seems like a disproportionately high number? Weird that Trudeau hasn't made a statement

Hell, even Fox News are scratching their little heads at this fight picking with Iran.

The problem for the US is that when you have such a big hammer you need something to hit- find the next bogey man.

Once again, the US has demonstrated that it is the greatest threat to world peace.

• Advertisement

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Just saw there were over 60 canadian citizens on the crashed flight. Seems like a disproportionately high number?

Yes. Many Iranian people live in Canada?

Advertisement