Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd Floor

Options
  • 03-01-2020 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭

Looking for some rough guidance. 2 storey detached house with a pretty low roof. I reckon maybe 70-80sqm roof area. Can't even stand at highest point in attic at present. Roof getting old so will need replacing soon plus we'd love a bit more space. Looking into idea of extending upwards and adding a non-sleeping room, maybe even just at back of house and leave as storage at front - this might help to keep front of house looking like those beside us. Definitely would need brickwork added to raise roof around edges. Rough cost of simply replacing roof I think is € 20K ballpark? I'm trying to figure out how much more if we're raising it. Water tank is already located outside of house.

I know I need an architect first and then potentially planning permission, but how can I first get a ballpark on pricing before I start spending loads? Will architects charge a lot to give you initial estimate typically? Very generally speaking all-in (architect, planning, all building with VAT etc, and having it ready to be used as an office) am I looking at 30-50K, 50-70K or 70K+ territory?

I also presume this would be a time to consider things like solar panels? Are we any closer to solar tiles yet? :)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

70-80m2 Roof, turned into useable floor area, will be at the higher end of your estimate above.

Note that a 3 storey requires modifications to the stair well doors, Auto opening smoke vent, fire alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭g0g

BryanF wrote: »
    70-80m2 Roof, turned into useable floor area, will be at the higher end of your estimate above.

Note that a 3 storey requires modifications to the stair well doors, Auto opening smoke vent, fire alarm.
    Thanks for the quick reply! So total area I measure now maybe 64sqm. I would think that maybe 25+sqm towards front of house would still be as storage and could be lower. I'm also assuming I'll lose another few sqm along the edges with the angle of the new roof (i.e. to avoid building the bricks up a full storey). So maybe 25-30sqm max of standable space plus lots of storage. Could that drop the ballpark figure a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭g0g

attic-truss-roof.jpg
    This image for example seems to show lower roof in the background (i.e. front of my house) then higher roof for main part of picture with side space lost to storage. I was also assuming raising the bricks at the side a little to avoid having a completely different shape roof to my neighbours.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Planning deffo required.
    Roof off.
    New roof with higher ridge line allowing habitable use.

€100k job at a guess.

Advertisement