Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

advice please : home charger for PHEV

Options
  • 03-01-2020 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello, Sorry if this has been asked before, but I just bought a Hyundai Ioniq PHEV. I have been recommended a charger installation company (Charged.ie) .
    Any advice on who to go with for the home installation? thank you so much..
    PL

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,260 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I just got our usual electrician to do ours. Any electrician should be able to do it, just make sure they're registered with Safe Electric first otherwise you can't avail of the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 purplelush

super thanks... was there any particular model charger you chose ? there seems to be three main ones - EVBOX, Zappi and RolecEV but not sure what is best ?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,260 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

purplelush wrote: »
    super thanks... was there any particular model charger you chose ? there seems to be three main ones - EVBOX, Zappi and RolecEV but not sure what is best ?

I went with the first generation Zappi myself. Very happy with it but probably overkill. Main reason I got it was I'd be intending to get solar panels in at some stage. I find a tethered charger a lot handier than untethered as it saves messing around getting the cable out and putting it away again every time you want to charge.

If you're not going getting solar or anything like that then something like a rolec would be fine imo and should be a bit cheaper than the newer Zappis.

Good luck with the car by the way, I drive an Ioniq myself and love it(full BEV version). Would be interested to know how much range you're getting on EV mode with the plug in.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I went with the first generation Zappi myself. Very happy with it but probably overkill. Main reason I got it was I'd be intending to get solar panels in at some stage. I find a tethered charger a lot handier than untethered as it saves messing around getting the cable out and putting it away again every time you want to charge.

If you're not going getting solar or anything like that then something like a rolec would be fine imo and should be a bit cheaper than the newer Zappis.

Good luck with the car by the way, I drive an Ioniq myself and love it(full BEV version). Would be interested to know how much range you're getting on EV mode with the plug in.

Thank you so much
    Will keep you posted on the range - eagerly anticipating delivery on Monday ... I work from home and then commute 100km each way 3 days a week... will be monitoring very closely

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Do you have the ability to charge it at work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Any advice on who to go with for the home installation?

Where are you based?

I am living in Dublin, and work in Tullamore, there is talk of installing a charger in work this year , but there is a charging location 10min walk up the road so I can recharge it there in the morning and pop up and get it once fully charged ... that is the plan anyway ..

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭turnfan

Granny cable all the way until you figure out your real world needs when the car arrives.

You may not need to drop any cash on a 7KW charger

yes, am thinking that .... forking out enough for the January expenses .. lets just say it was a very liquid Christmas .. and New Years !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I am living in Dublin, and work in Tullamore, there is talk of installing a charger in work this year , but there is a charging location 10min walk up the road so I can recharge it there in the morning and pop up and get it once fully charged ... that is the plan anyway ..

Just on this - the behaviour of leaving the car for long periods of time is considered a bit of a faux pas in the EV community - the expectation is that people recharge to 80% at these public chargers and then move on promptly, to free up space for others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭turnfan

yes, am thinking that .... forking out enough for the January expenses .. lets just say it was a very liquid Christmas .. and New Years !!!

I got a proper charger from my Ioniq BEV, and it does exactly the same as my granny charger did for my situation (charge from 50/60% to 100% overnight).

I am sure it will prove it's value in time on more unpredictable journeys, but there was no rush.

yes, I understand, I am going to use the app to tell me when it is charged.. thanks :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

with that daily commute you'd be better off in a BEV, phev is a bit silly, should have gone HEV or BEV

Advertisement