Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expiry Date

Options
  • 03-01-2020 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭

Suppose you have a voucher that expires on January 2nd. Would you expect to still be able to use that voucher on the 2nd of Jan or not? Or would you expect the last day it can be used to be the 1st of Jan (as it's expired on the 2nd)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would expect to be able to use it on the expiry date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

im not being funny, but i wouldn't leave it to the expiry date and find out.

if i had to i would make sure i had the cash just in case. The point of sale is not the place to have a discussion about how a voucher/gift card works. the person you will be talking to will probably know less than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Would expect it to be useable on the 2nd but at the same time if it said it expired at 4pm you wouldn't expect to be able to use it at 4.30. Still a bit crap if you weren't able to use it then though you would think they would have that happening all the time e en if it is in the t&cs or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

jimmii wrote: »
    Would expect it to be useable on the 2nd but at the same time if it said it expired at 4pm you wouldn't expect to be able to use it at 4.30. Still a bit crap if you weren't able to use it then though you would think they would have that happening all the time e en if it is in the t&cs or something.

The majority of vouchers are valid for a year, so leaving it till the last day is not crap if you can't use it, you'd 11 months to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Del2005 wrote: »
    The majority of vouchers are valid for a year, so leaving it till the last day is not crap if you can't use it, you'd 11 months to use it.

Yeah safe to assume theres plenty of time it could have been used but if you expected to be able to use it on a certain date within the time you thought it was valid for then thats clearly fine. This is just a question of should the expiry be at 0000 on the date of expiry or 2359 (or whatever the business closing time is). Does seem strange to sit on a voucher so long though and definitely a bad idea to avoid situations like this. Maybe the op has left some out that's led to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

Yes I deliberately left some information out as everything else is irrelevant really, it's nice to keep things simple on boards. It was not a voucher as such but rather an offer in an app that was listed with an expiry date (terms and conditions don't seem to have been available). It was bought on Black Friday with an expiry date of January 2nd so wasn't exactly left unused for a long time. I was asking for a friend btw (again irrelevant)

Advertisement