Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Druids Glen or Bellinter House?

Options
  • 03-01-2020 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

Looking for a romantic winter weekend away near Dublin.
    For my dates Druids Glen and Bellinter available. Both get very good or very bad reviews no real middle ground. Anyone any recommendations on either?

Bellinter:
    Very eclectic hotel and looks amazing. Also near Hill of Tara which I'd like to see.
    Only rooms available are The Stables and I can't find any proper photos of them. Some reviews have said rooms cold and had mice issues ( it's an old property).
    Don't really like idea of having to go outside and back inside to get to spa/breakfast/main hotel etc.
    Some reviews mention hotel needs a good clean.
    No pool.

Druids Glen:
    Very 'beige' boring looking rooms.
    Lots of kids.
    Won't have to leave hotel to get to spa/breakfast etc.
    Can get superior room and meal in Hugo's for same price as B&B only in lower grade room in Bellinter.
    Has pool.

Aghhh can't decide. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

We stayed at Bellinter last year - wasn't overly impressed tbh and our room was in the main hotel. There was a wedding on so quite busy and lots of kids at breakfast etc. The spa looked lovely but the hot tub is in the garden just to the front of the property so a bit odd seeing people crossing the driveway to it!

Haven't been to Druids Glen so can't comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

I wasn't too impressed with Bellinter House either, I stayed in the stables and it definitely felt like a stable to me, very sparse furnishings, they are definitely into a minimalist style with a rustic kind of twist, just not my thing to be honest, not when I am paying and want a little bit of luxury.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Thanks for the info I really appreciate it.

We’ve gone with Druids Glen as they had dates available. Its working out very costly for two nights and it is our first trip away by ourselves in a long long long time, I really hope it lives up to its price tag.

I also looked at Seafield which looks amazing and is a lot cheaper but they had no availability for our dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

I loved seafield, nice to have the beach beside the hotel for walks too!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Stayed in Druids glen last year. Really liked it and would definitely return. It is child friendly and I went with my mam and a 3 year old but the place wasn’t overrun with children. It’s got a modern but cosy feel. Offered sparkling water on check in and hot napkins. Bar area is lovely. One of the nicest hotel breakfasts I’ve had in a long time. There was an omelette station and a pancake station as well as honey from the honeycomb. All nicely laid out. Ate at the bar so didn’t get to try the restaurant menu. The spa was small but treatments were excellent. Little touches like being served a small sorbet afterwards. Pool is nice too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Just back from a one night stay in Druids Glen (I've stayed on three separate occasions).

As it was a Sunday night, most of the families with kids were leaving as we were checking in. Some parents were staying with babies and toddlers but they were grand and quiet. The hotel is really good and I have to say the service was excellent in all areas of the hotel - I have booked conferences in various hotels throughout the country with work and therefore the provision of good service is important to me.

There was a slight mix-up in the spa with the package we booked but we were at fault more than the actual hotel. We ate in the bar as it is so spacious and comfortable. Lovely walk to be had in the grounds too. The TV in the bedroom had Sky Sports so my husband was delighted with himself! The drinks, food and treatments are all on the expensive side but personally I don't mind paying more when the service is so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Advertisement