Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New home office build

Options
  • 03-01-2020 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I need a new Windows 10 desktop for work and was considering building one. I'm currently using a Windows 7 desktop and I need to keep it as it is for legacy software reasons. It has an i3-4130 3.4GHz processor, 2 SSDs (one W7, one Linux) and 16GB of RAM.

Can someone give me an idea of exactly what I'll need, how much it will be and where I can get the parts. Thanks a mil

1. What is your budget? Max €1,000

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Work (spreadsheets, some industry software etc.) and some relatively light programming and photo editing

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If yes, what size do you need. N/A

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1920x1080 - doubt I'll be upgrading until this one breaks

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No peripherals needed (other than cabling etc)

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Laser

9. When are you purchasing? In next week

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? N/A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor (£119.99 @ Amazon UK)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 35.14 CFM CPU Cooler (£19.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Gaming X ATX AM4 Motherboard (£74.96 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: Patriot Viper Elite 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (£104.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£59.57 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500 ATX Mid Tower Case (£59.78 @ CCL Computers)
    Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM 400 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£56.99 @ CCL Computers)
    Total: £496.26
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-03 14:08 GMT+0000

You could throw more money at it (e.g. Ryzen 3600/3700X, GPU for rendering) but this should be alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Cheers I'll look into that. How do AMD processors compare to Intels? I'd have prob gone for an i7.

Buy Windows Professional straight from Microsoft?

AMD Ryzen are as good as (sometimes better) than Intel offerings unless you specifically need AVX 256/512.

The 3400G is a 4-core/8-thread CPU (same as old Core i7s up to 7th gen).

Do I not need a video card with your build?

The 3400G has an iGPU (RX Vega 11).

If you stepped up to 3600/3700X you would need a discrete graphics card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Synode wrote: »
    Do I not need a video card with your build?

the CPU listed has built in graphics so none is needed, does any of the software you use require heavy GPU loads?

projectgtr wrote: »
    the CPU listed has built in graphics so none is needed, does any of the software you use require heavy GPU loads?

Don't think so. Photoshop from time to time but nothing major. I'd also use a lot of different software at the same time but don't think it would be GPU intensive. My current setup handles it no problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

Hi all. I need a new Windows 10 desktop for work and was considering building one. I'm currently using a Windows 7 desktop and I need to keep it as it is for legacy software reasons. It has an i3-4130 3.4GHz processor, 2 SSDs (one W7, one Linux) and 16GB of RAM.

Can someone give me an idea of exactly what I'll need, how much it will be and where I can get the parts. Thanks a mil

1. What is your budget? Max €1,000

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Work (spreadsheets, some industry software etc.) and some relatively light programming and photo editing

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If yes, what size do you need. N/A

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1920x1080 - doubt I'll be upgrading until this one breaks

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No peripherals needed (other than cabling etc)

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Laser

9. When are you purchasing? In next week

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? N/A

For what you need your pc for your budget could easily be cut in half. In your spec there is nowt that taxes any pc hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭dubrov

You could even avoid buying a new PC at all if you add a Windows 10 partition to one of your existing SSDs.

Also, if space is tight, consider a micro PC like a Gigabyte Brix or Intel NUC. They'll do all you need and avoid the need for a clunky desktop on/under the desk

For what you need your pc for your budget could easily be cut in half. In your spec there is nowt that taxes any pc hardware.

I'm happy with lots of RAM and an SSD. Can't stand working on a slow computer. Drives me mental.

I'll prob go with the build as per above but might swap out the AMD for an Intel.

• Advertisement

dubrov wrote: »
    You could even avoid buying a new PC at all if you add a Windows 10 partition to one of your existing SSDs.

Also, if space is tight, consider a micro PC like a Gigabyte Brix or Intel NUC. They'll do all you need and avoid the need for a clunky desktop on/under the desk

I did think about that but I'll need Win7 and Win10 on at the same time a fair bit

I'm happy with lots of RAM and an SSD. Can't stand working on a slow computer. Drives me mental.

I'll prob go with the build as per above but might swap out the AMD for an Intel.

Intel is a dead platform with little value, but you do you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

That would be a grave mistake right now, unless you can somehow get the Intel CPU for way, way, way cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Computers-Accessories-Computer-CPU-Processors/zgbs/pc/229189/ref=zg_bs_nav_pc_3_17923671011

All of top 10 best selling CPUs on Amazon are now AMD chips; Considering that the almost totality of people who buys a CPU that's not already installed into a system are IT professionals, experts or enthusiasts who do a lot of research beforehand and gun for the best performance and/or performance/price ratio, that stat alone should be telling.

Fair enough. I'll stick with the build as is. Out of interest, why is Intel a dead platform?

Fair enough. I'll stick with the build as is. Out of interest, why is Intel a dead platform?

End of life of the current socket and probably architecture; Their next generation of chips will come out on something totally different that will force a complete rebuild for any upgrade, and they're stuck in a fairly inefficient 14nm manufacturing process.

Obviously current Intel CPUs work well but, unless you get a spectacular discount, Ryzen CPUs make for much better performers all-around at a similar (or lower) price point, on a platform that's going to be around for a numbers of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

Other people come along and think.....I can do that..........so they do and do it better.

Sorry I've a few more questions: -

1) Will I need any additional cables or screws etc. to build or will they come with the various parts?

2) Will it output any audio? I don't really need it to but it can be handy from time to time. Would I need an audio card/speaker to do this? Any recommendations?

3) Will it have WiFi and Bluetooth?

4) Any thoughts on this Motherboard instead (Amazon is suggesting it)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Gaming-X570-Plus-Motherboard-Socket/dp/B07TPPJ5JZ/ref=bdl_pop_ttl_B07TPPJ5JZ

Damn, Amazon won't deliver the processor or Power Supply to Ireland and the Motherboard isn't on Amazon. Was hoping to buy everything from the same place.

Sorry I've a few more questions: -

1) Will I need any additional cables or screws etc. to build or will they come with the various parts?

2) Will it output any audio? I don't really need it to but it can be handy from time to time. Would I need an audio card/speaker to do this? Any recommendations?

3) Will it have WiFi and Bluetooth?

4) Any thoughts on this Motherboard instead (Amazon is suggesting it)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Gaming-X570-Plus-Motherboard-Socket/dp/B07TPPJ5JZ/ref=bdl_pop_ttl_B07TPPJ5JZ
    1. Yes, all screws will be included with the case.
    2. Yes, it has audio in & out via 3.5mm jacks.
    3. No, budget boards generally forego this. Just use a PCIe add-in card (very cheap - 20 quid or so)
    4. Absolutely not, that motherboard is overkill for a quad-core (rule of thumb: motherboard should never cost more than CPU)

Damn, Amazon won't deliver the processor or Power Supply to Ireland and the Motherboard isn't on Amazon. Was hoping to buy everything from the same place.
    MSI or Gigabyte B450 boards in the 70-89 range are all decent - if it has a VRM heatsink (near top-left corner), it's good.

CPU & PSU are showing as deliverable to me.
    https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/scMKhg

Really appreciate your help K.O.Kiki. Just looking at that SSD you advised. Does that go into a PCIe slot?

• Advertisement

Really appreciate your help K.O.Kiki. Just looking at that SSD you advised. Does that go into a PCIe slot?

No, M.2 slot.
    Check the manual.

Word of warning - if going for a B450 or X470 board, make sure the BIOS has been updated to work with 3rd gen Ryzen CPUs, otherwise you might end up with a non-booting system. The MSI board in the parts list is updated and will be OK but in case you end up ordering something else, you need to make sure. Many sellers will update it for you if you ask them.

Spotty delivery to Ireland is the annoyance with Amazon - the various sellers pretty much decide if to deliver or not. Your best bet, before this Brexit malarkey messes things up even worse, is to use a "virtual address" service like Parcel Motel, AnPost Addresspal etc.

Also...might be worth checking actual Irish outlets. I know, SHOCK & HORROR!!!, but depending on luck and parts choice, the prices might not be that different from the UK and might be brought in line by lower delivery costs. The super annoying thing with the Irish sellers is that they usually have zero stock, they say "dispatches in 2-3 business days" because they buy on demand.

Cheers. I did have a look on Elara & Komplett but they only have some of the parts. I've been on to CCL and am waiting for them to confirm if I can be billed without UK VAT. I'll probably buy it all there if they can do that.

Anyone any thoughts on where to buy Windows 10 Pro? €439 incl VAT on Microsoft store seems very expensive

That was Windows 10 Pro for workstations which I don't think I need. Windows 10 Pro is on Komplett for €160. It's a DVD but presume I can create a flash drive and just use the key from the box?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Cheers. I did have a look on Elara & Komplett but they only have some of the parts.
    FYI Komplett, despite the .ie domain name are actually Dutch.

Alun wrote: »
    FYI Komplett, despite the .ie domain name are actually Dutch.

Any suggestions for actual Irish stores or websites?

https://www.memoryc.ie/ might be easier to deal with for VAT-free.

I didn't realize you need to do this as a VAT purchase - it only dawns on me now, the "OFFICE" thing.

As for Windows...technically, Windows IS they key. You'll have to download the installation tool which creates the USB drive for you.

Also, I've never paid more than 50 Euro for Windows - just search Google a bit... ;)

• Advertisement

All parts purchased. Got the Motherboard and CPU from Memory C (€281.55 incl VAT), the power supply and Windows 10 from Elara (€249.76 incl VAT) and everything else from Amazon (stg£221.25 ex VAT). Looking forward to building this now.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm sure I'll have more questions when start building.

Advertisement