Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uniform Question?

Options
  • 03-01-2020 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭

So I left a job recently. After I handed in my notice my manager was annoyed and did some minor things as punishment like making me work late Christmas eve when nobody else was working and taking away my Christmas bonus. So I started my new job this week, he's emailed me asking for my uniform back. This is the 1st mention of returning it since I handed in my notice (over 3 weeks ago). The uniform is a tailored suit. The emailed request for the return of the uniform was blunt, like much of his communication with me post notice. What kind of obligation am I under to give it back? I'm not sure it's mentioned in my contract with them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Did you pay for the uniform? And why would you want to keep a work uniform?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Dav010 wrote: »
    Did you pay for the uniform? And why would you want to keep a work uniform?

I didn't, but it's not mentioned anywhere in my contract from what I can see.

It's a suit. And they've been pretty hostile with me so I'm just seeing if I'm under any legal requirements to return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Stuff it into a crappy plastic bag and drop it in at your convenience. Once you have done that, move on.

Stuff it into a crappy plastic bag and drop it in at your convenience. Once you have done that, move on.

In the end I probably will do that, I'm just curious if I'm required to do that. Keeping in mind I was only in the job a couple of months, that I don't need them as a reference moving forward and because they've been not so nice with me since I told them I was leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You want to keep something you didn't pay for? Doing that makes you a thief.

The manager us rightly annoyed at even having to ask you for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

If they fully paid for it, they own it. If you paid any part of it - deduction out of wages ask for a refund. Otherwise, id drop it in or see if they want to collect it from you.

You want to keep something you didn't pay for? Doing that makes you a thief.

The manager us rightly annoyed at even having to ask you for it.

Thanks but I'm more interested in if I'd be a thief legally, not morally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Or maybe sleep in it for a couple of weeks!

Or maybe sleep in it for a couple of weeks!

My pyjamas will have never been more classy!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thanks but I'm more interested in if I'd be a thief legally, not morally.

Legally .. you never paid for it. It was issued to you for working in. This is soooooo clear cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

In the end I probably will do that, I'm just curious if I'm required to do that. Keeping in mind I was only in the job a couple of months, that I don't need them as a reference moving forward and because they've been not so nice with me since I told them I was leaving.

Never mind the legalities and requirements. Life is too short to be making enemies of people you may meet again in a professional capacity. Be the bigger person here and hold your head up high knowing you did everything right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

have you got your P45 from your old employer yet ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Don't think they issue them anymore

I haven't yet though I didn't think the P45 was still a thing issued to the employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Why do you want to hold onto it?

sadie1502 wrote: »
    Why do you want to hold onto it?

It's not even so much that I want to hold onto it, just that the previous employer has been pretty hostile.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

It's not even so much that I want to hold onto it, just that the previous employer has been pretty hostile.

I Dunno if it was me I'd give it back why bring the hassle on yourself. Let them have it. They are bitter give them back their property and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,986 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Just sit on some chocolate first while wearing it before sending it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Stop being petty, return the suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Ireland is a small country and burning bridges is never a good idea. Return THEIR suit to them as they have asked for it to be returned, I assume that they could report it stolen if you don't return it as its their suit they provided you to while working for them.

• Advertisement

One of the shirts is already covered in hair post haircut, slightly disappointed I didn't get more haircuts with the suit on.

Edit: I might get another haircut this weekend while conveniently wearing the suit again.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

also, replace "suit" with any other possible work provided item...."laptop"...."phone"....even car...would you seek to keep them also?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Starting to come across as quite petty now. Just return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Well think of it this way, say you got a laptop for work. You don't pay for it. Your work contract I'm sure doesn't mention the laptop but if you left the job you will not be allowed or expected to bring that laptop with you. If you haven't paid for the suit the same applies here. It is company property.

GBX wrote: »
    Starting to come across as quite petty now. Just return it.

Oh I am. Though taking away bonuses a couple of days before Christmas, talking to other employees about me behind my back, silly worktimes ect. is petty too and I haven't complained about any of it, did the work and all that. So I don't feel unjust.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'd find it odd someone would expect clothes to be returned. OP even said it was tailored. So it's been cut to fit them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

A Christmas bonus being rescinded for an employee who was only there a short while but leaving shortly after Christmas isn't out of the ordinary

And there is probably more to the story than you're letting on

I'd find it odd someone would expect clothes to be returned. OP even said it was tailored. So it's been cut to fit them.

Oh it's purely out of spite. Unless they find a new employee with my exact dimensions (or at least very similar).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Grow up & return it, you're burning bridges and being petty for no good reason. Even if they didn't treat you well, don't lower your own personal standards just to get back at them.
    You have a lot more to lose than gain by doing this. Reputation is everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

As you told them you were leaving you were always gonna get stung and be the one working late Christmas Eve. Fair enough to that. Why let someone else who's gonna be sticking around get stuck with it. Cool like.

As for not getting the Christmas bonus? that's being shafted. Am sure whoever in the company could argue well why give it to you... they're going! yadda yadda. But they can't expect you to give back the uniform asap or even at all (lets be honest) after shafting you with that.

It's not petty as others have said. It's life. Despite what people may say about having character, morals, etc. It really is a game of tit-for-tat when it comes down to it. Especially when money is involved.

So say to them you'll give it back when you get your christmas bonus. Which you know your answer. That said don't go looking for a reference or anything from them again.

Advertisement