Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uniform Question?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

As you told them you were leaving you were always gonna get stung and be the one working late Christmas Eve. Fair enough to that. Why let someone else who's gonna be sticking around get stuck with it. Cool like.

As for not getting the Christmas bonus? that's being shafted. Am sure whoever in the company could argue well why give it to you... they're going! yadda yadda. But they can't expect you to give back the uniform asap or even at all (lets be honest) after shafting you with that.

It's not petty as others have said. It's life. Despite what people may say about having character, morals, etc. It really is a game of tit-for-tat when it comes down to it. Especially when money is involved.

So say to them you'll give it back when you get your christmas bonus. Which you know your answer. That said don't go looking for a reference or anything from them again.

I like that! I'm tempted to withold the suit until I get payment for a couple of holiday days that they owe me. I'm not totally sure that they are going to pay me what's owed there and if I give back the suit the leverage I have there is gone. Possibly worth waiting until that is paid to give it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'd find it odd someone would expect clothes to be returned. OP even said it was tailored. So it's been cut to fit them.

That's not what tailored means.

That's my bad. It was cut to fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Synopsis:

Petty employee no longer works for petty employer and now seeks approval from internet to maintain prettiness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

I always thought it meant cut and/or adjusted to fit the person. what does it mean?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Contact the manager and let him know that the suit can be collected from you at a time suitable to both of you and that you will require a dated and signed receipt at time of collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marko99

have you got your P45 from your old employer yet ?

P45s haven't existed for over a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Tomw86

I wouldn't go down the route of saying ''You're not getting the suit back until I get my holiday pay'' or anything along those lines - but I would say to them that when you are paid your holiday days owed that you will drop in the suit to them and pick up your final payslip showing the holiday days payment.

That way you are putting the onus on them to sort it out.

In relation to the bonus - if you are on your notice period when the bonus is announced or issued, it is standard practice that would not receive it.
    I have worked in several companies where the previous years bonus would be issue in February via a meeting with Management. If you had handed in your notice prior to this you are not eligible despite the fact you had worked there during the previous year to which the bonus relates. It may not be fair but its not illegal.

Tomw86 wrote: »
    I wouldn't go down the route of saying ''You're not getting the suit back until I get my holiday pay'' or anything along those lines - but I would say to them that when you are paid your holiday days owed that you will drop in the suit to them and pick up your final payslip showing the holiday days payment.

That way you are putting the onus on them to sort it out.

In relation to the bonus - if you are on your notice period when the bonus is announced or issued, it is standard practice that would not receive it.
    I have worked in several companies where the previous years bonus would be issue in February via a meeting with Management. If you had handed in your notice prior to this you are not eligible despite the fact you had worked there during the previous year to which the bonus relates. It may not be fair but its not illegal.

Oh ye I know it's not illegal, it just seems like a super petty thing to do. I know a bonus is not guaranteed, it's given at the company's discretion and it relates to work done, not work that will be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Tell them you left the clothes in work on your last day. It's their problem now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you were only there a couple of months, why all the aggro? Who gets a bonus after a couple of months work?
    Give them back the suit and forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Tomw86

Oh ye I know it's not illegal, it just seems like a super petty thing to do. I know a bonus is not guaranteed, it's given at the company's discretion and it relates to work done, not work that will be done.

Had they confirmed the amount of the bonus and when it would be paid before you handed in your notice?

It is very petty and that is why I would not hand back the suit until you are fully paid up including holidays by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

What are they gonna do with suit if and when you return it. Don't think they'd hand out a 2nd uniform to someone else surely.

Better off giving it back but I wouldn't be taking time outta my day to drop it off to them. Tell them send courier out or get them to collect from you themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

marko99 wrote: »

They do exist.

As the p60 do.

They are not handed in.

Give back the suit and move on, op.

No, they are not going to report it stolen or anything like that. But give it back regardless and be done with it.

Edit: When I said they exist I meant they are still out there, just under different name.

They do confirm your employment ceased. For tax purposes. Doesn't mean your liability regarding tools not returned etc ceased.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Op, Just out of curiousity how long were you actually working for them?
    It wasn't a Christmas temp was it?

Op, Just out of curiousity how long were you actually working for them?
    It wasn't a Christmas temp was it?

Nope! Was with them for a couple of months, more or less got the job because the manager worked in a place I worked in and had heard good things about me, the job was going grand but basically I was poached for a new job. Better benefits and all that so I accepted the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Everyone completely missing the point here.

You've been ****ed about and now you want' fire back a bit. Its petty but its also very satisfying and you shoud absolutely induldge in it. ignore the doormats here who will bend over backwards to be ****ed their whole lives. You only care about the legalities of it.

Its a civil matter so no criminality involved. THey have zero legal recourse and even if they did the best they could hope for is to get the uniform returned.

String them along for the remaining money and then bin the uniform. **** me? Then **** you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

wonski wrote: »

No, they are not going to report it stolen or anything like that. But give it back regardless and be done with it.

Why?

Everyone completely missing the point here.

You've been ****ed about and now you want' fire back a bit. Its petty but its also very satisfying and you shoud absolutely induldge in it. ignore the doormats here who will bend over backwards to be ****ed their whole lives. You only care about the legalities of it.

Its a civil matter so no criminality involved. THey have zero legal recourse and even if they did the best they could hope for is to get the uniform returned.

String them along for the remaining money and then bin the uniform. **** me? Then **** you.

It is the legalities I was after. I'm not sure how much recourse they have, and at the very least I'm keeping the suit until I am paid what I'm owed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Don't you think you should appreciate that they give you a job in the first place!?

• Advertisement

Don't you think you should appreciate that they give you a job in the first place!?

I was nice and respectful up until I found out my previous manager has been talking about me with like every employee behind my back. Then the bonus and Christmas eve stuff happened and now the fairly blunt email today and my back is well and truly up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Jaysus haven't heard that one in a long time.

Up there with "just be glad you have a job".

Shíte you'd hear at an ISME seminar.
    You want to keep something you didn't pay for? Doing that makes you a thief.

The manager us rightly annoyed at even having to ask you for it.

That's some jump. Grip, seriously.

OP let them sweat. Be in no hurry to satisfy some previous employers pettiness. Don't answer any more calls from them. They don't get to abuse you after you have left.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,986 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I was nice and respectful up until I found out my previous manager has been talking about me with like every employee behind my back. Then the bonus and Christmas eve stuff happened and now the fairly blunt email today and my back is well and truly up.

Was it a service industry job by any chance?
    Sounds like the way some of them treat their staff.

Was it a service industry job by any chance?
    Sounds like the way some of them treat their staff.

Without wanting to give too much away kind of. Kind of service, kind of corporate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,999 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I like that! I'm tempted to withold the suit until I get payment for a couple of holiday days that they owe me. I'm not totally sure that they are going to pay me what's owed there and if I give back the suit the leverage I have there is gone. Possibly worth waiting until that is paid to give it back.

thats a whole different ball game. tell them you will be going to the WRC if payment is not made asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

So I left a job recently. After I handed in my notice my manager was annoyed and did some minor things as punishment like making me work late Christmas eve when nobody else was working and taking away my Christmas bonus. So I started my new job this week, he's emailed me asking for my uniform back. This is the 1st mention of returning it since I handed in my notice (over 3 weeks ago). The uniform is a tailored suit. The emailed request for the return of the uniform was blunt, like much of his communication with me post notice. What kind of obligation am I under to give it back? I'm not sure it's mentioned in my contract with them.

If he wants the uniform back, invite him to book a courier, agree a time and give it to them in a bag, not cleaned, not ironed, unfolded, fûck them.. ALL on their time, ALL at their expense...ALL at their inconvenience, for the craic hit them with a bill for storage too... wànkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,999 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

marko99 wrote: »
    wonski wrote: »
    They do exist.

As the p60 do.

They are not handed in.

Edit: When I said they exist I meant they are still out there, just under different name.

They do confirm your employment ceased. For tax purposes. Doesn't mean your liability regarding tools not returned etc ceased.

Marko is correct Wonski, P45's and P60's have been ceased and are no longer issued since the 31st December 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

It is the legalities I was after. I'm not sure how much recourse they have, and at the very least I'm keeping the suit until I am paid what I'm owed!

Paid what you're owed??? Are you referring to the bonus others got? You said you were only in the job a few months, very much doubt you were entitled to anything. Some attitude

My advice is for your former employers. Forget about the suit, put this down to experience, you're best rid of this one.

Give it back bit leave it in such a way that they can’t use it again the miserable pricks.

• Advertisement

A Christmas bonus being rescinded for an employee who was only there a short while but leaving shortly after Christmas isn't out of the ordinary

And there is probably more to the story than you're letting on

No there won’t be. Companies often resort to childishness when someone is leaving that they don’t want to leave.

Advertisement