Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uniform Question?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

In the end I probably will do that, I'm just curious if I'm required to do that. Keeping in mind I was only in the job a couple of months, that I don't need them as a reference moving forward and because they've been not so nice with me since I told them I was leaving.

You don't own the thing and you don't have any reason to hold it as a lien. So return it quickly and in good order, otherwise all you are doing is giving your former manager another opportunity to kick you in the ass. If the manager is as you described, then he may well make a complaint of theft to the Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Give it back bit leave it in such a way that they can’t use it again the miserable pricks.

If you were in the market for a job, would you post that advice here under your real name?

If you were in the market for a job, would you post that advice here under your real name?

I would never be in the market for a job where the uniform is a tailored suit, or a suit of any description. I’m a monkey not an organ grinder.

But really, some of the replies here are an absolute joke in the way a company or management are absolutely untouchable when it comes to stuff like this. It’s the OP’s own fault for things like working Christmas Eve because when he was leaving anyway, and they had no right to a bonus but too many ‘managers’ get stroppy when someone is leaving and those people shouldn’t be in the position they’re in at all as they’re not fit for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Asitis2019

Please follow these steps, in this order

First, write back to him and apologize for the omission. Tell him that the uniform will be back first thing on Monday morning.

Second, have the uniform dry cleaned over the weekend. If you get up early, you will get to dry cleaner and have it back Sunday evening

Third, make sure you hand it to the manager and apologize in person

The other poster - Susie something is right about personal standards and burning bridges

Don't listen to the Bumble woman - I see her post here frequently, and is rarely constructive, so pay no heed.

Okay?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Hermano if you want to make their life difficult over this insist they first must pay for you to dry clean it, and they must arrange a courier to collect it and sign for it being returned. Make him work for it.

Make it clear you are returning it but under the Right conditions or don’t and keep it. I wouldn’t listen to that business world is small crap he **** all over you, return the favour it’s good practice. Work is a battleground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Lily_Aldrin7

If they have paid all they owe you, there is not much they can do to her your uniform back, otherwise they could pay you less, deducting the cost of the uniform. I doubt either one of you will go through lawyers over a worn out suit :) I returned my uniforms when I quit my previous job, they didn’t even have to ask me, I didn’t need them anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Just return it and move on. Some managers are pretty, in the world if work you'll probably meet many more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

No wonder companies think they can treat employees like crap. That’s pure spineless.

Nonsense, as Asitis put it, set your own standards as to what is the right thing to do. Long term you will come out on top

'Sticking it to the man' is for deadbeats who will never amount to anything

Nonsense, as Asitis put it, set your own standards as to what is the right thing to do. Long term you will come out on top

“The Man” knows how to be a manager. This isn’t one to stick it to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Asitis2019

Save your breathe. The youth of today place little value on long-term relationships. Ireland is a small country, and he will quickly learn that you can quickly earn a reputation for being a trouble maker.

Imagine in three years time, the OP is applying for a big job. In passing, the manager who is recruiting hears in passing that the OP refused to return a uniform and was difficult...

Little apples Reginald, little apples..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

72 posts about a uniform the employer paid for, and neither party really wants. They are petty for asking for it, you are petty for keeping it. Stick it in a padded envelope, send it back and pride yourself on being the bigger person. Life is too short to be thinking about the legal aspect of the small things like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Nobody wants it, the employer can’t recirculate it to other employees, you won’t be wearing it so it’s of use to neither party, the bin is the only direction it is heading. It’s simply a case of maybe a manager with a checkbox form to fill in for each departing employee to show that he has attempted to recover the uniform... you don’t work for him or them so don’t respond... not worth your effort.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It is the legalities I was after. I'm not sure how much recourse they have, and at the very least I'm keeping the suit until I am paid what I'm owed!

You are owed absolutely noting, there is no right to a bonus. You have no right to hold on to property that does not belong to you and that is a criminal offence. Now you and your manager seem to be well met, so I would not be at all surprised where this ends up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Strumms wrote: »
    Nobody wants it, the employer can’t recirculate it to other employees, .

Why on earth can't they reuse it? ( After drycleaning of course, and alterations if necessay.)

Why on earth can't they reuse it? ( After drycleaning of course, and alterations if necessay.)

It’s not very good an impression for a company to give a new employee if they say... “well the guy you are replacing Jeremy is finishing up in two days and he’ll give you his uniform to wear then”.. come on if I’m a new employee or even an existing one if the company are only interested in giving you hand me downs to wear, I’m out of there...

In my last job I was delegated to order uniforms for our team... so I got to see the price of everything and it wasn’t much in the grand scheme of things, you’d clothe an employee with everything for a couple of hundred euros...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

It’s not very good an impression for a company to give a new employee if they say... “well the guy you are replacing Jeremy is finishing up in two days and he’ll give you his uniform to wear then”.. come on if I’m a new employee or even an existing one if the company are only interested in giving you hand me downs to wear, I’m out of there...

In my last job I was delegated to order uniforms for our team... so I got to see the price of everything and it wasn’t much in the grand scheme of things, you’d clothe an employee with everything for a couple of hundred euros...

You seem to get all the important tasks.

If the company paid for it, and it’s their policy to have them returned, then that’s up to them.

Dav010 wrote: »
    You seem to get all the important tasks.

If the company paid for it, and it’s their policy to have them returned, then that’s up to them.

Do I ? Interesting observation...

If the company want them back! Let them collect them.

With attitudes like that, no wonder the planet is f*ucked.

With attitudes like that, no wonder the planet is f*ucked.

Yes, the ‘planet is fûcked’ because I’m saying that a company who wants a uniform back from an employee who no longer works for them should arrange to collect it..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,999 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Jaysus all the criminal offence posts on this thread:cool:
    Hmm well, they are....... criminal:pac:

• Advertisement

Yes, the ‘planet is fûcked’ because I’m saying that a company who wants a uniform back from an employee who no longer works for them should arrange to collect it..:rolleyes:

No, you said every employee needs a brand new uniform not "hand me downs".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Everyone completely missing the point here.

You've been ****ed about and now you want' fire back a bit. Its petty but its also very satisfying and you shoud absolutely induldge in it. ignore the doormats here who will bend over backwards to be ****ed their whole lives. You only care about the legalities of it.

Its a civil matter so no criminality involved. THey have zero legal recourse and even if they did the best they could hope for is to get the uniform returned.

String them along for the remaining money and then bin the uniform. **** me? Then **** you.

How delightfully Machiavellian, at least we're getting both sides of the coin in this thread.

No, you said every employee needs a brand new uniform not "hand me downs".

Ok, on that point too, I absolutely stand by that... a new hire to a company should be given a brand new uniform where required to wear one... 100%.

If a child of yours starts in a new school tomorrow would you be happy to be given a set of uniform that another child has been wearing all year ? The same goes for an adult employee of a company, you get a new uniform, not one that’s been previously worn and used it’s not fûckin Azerbaijan. That’s the respectful thing to do.

If a child of yours starts in a new school tomorrow would you be happy to be given a set of uniform that another child has been wearing all year ?

Absolutely I would: I'd be looking for the 2nd hand uniform shop, and hassling the school if one didn't exist. Most kids grow out of uniform items long before they're worn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

So I left a job recently. After I handed in my notice my manager was annoyed and did some minor things as punishment like making me work late Christmas eve when nobody else was working and taking away my Christmas bonus. So I started my new job this week, he's emailed me asking for my uniform back. This is the 1st mention of returning it since I handed in my notice (over 3 weeks ago). The uniform is a tailored suit. The emailed request for the return of the uniform was blunt, like much of his communication with me post notice. What kind of obligation am I under to give it back? I'm not sure it's mentioned in my contract with them.

Keep the suit, feck them

Absolutely I would: I'd be looking for the 2nd hand uniform shop, and hassling the school if one didn't exist. Most kids grow out of uniform items long before they're worn out.

Hassling the school, right. That’s ok, if you want to set low standards for yourself and family go right ahead, it doesn’t mean others are prepared to follow suit and accept second hand clothing. It’s ok for goats not kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

If he wants the uniform back, invite him to book a courier, agree a time and give it to them in a bag, not cleaned, not ironed, unfolded, fûck them.. ALL on their time, ALL at their expense...ALL at their inconvenience, for the craic hit them with a bill for storage too... wànkers.

I'd make sure it's clean, ironed, folded and neatly packed. But I would absolutely tell them that it is their responsibility to arrange its collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

I'd make sure it's clean, ironed, folded and neatly packed. But I would absolutely tell them that it is their responsibility to arrange its collection.

With a post Christmas shart included!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,808 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Simple solution.

1) Have the suit dry cleaned and neatly folded. Have it vacuum packed and sealed.
    2) Find out the managers hobbies/favourite sports team. Suppose it's Manchester United
    3) Buy a brand new Man U official kit bag. As the weather is cold, wear gloves when doing so. Pay for it in cash.
    4) Deliver the suit to the manager in the kit bag. Meet him outside in the car park. You know what time he arrives for work so catch him on his way in. It will be cold so you will still need to be wearing your gloves. Tell him he can keep the shitty Man U bag you got as a shitty Christmas present from your demented Gran who doesn't know you hate them.
    5) Wait a week
    6) Call the guards.
    7) Wait for the office to be raided and for the guards to find a load of coke sewn into the secret pocket in his favourite kit bag where they have been informed that the manager likes to stash his supply (.....it must have magically appeared between steps 3 and 4 above)
    8) Apply for his job when he is fired.
    9) Profit

May not be an actual serious suggestion although I couldn't tell whether some of the above were serious so I thought I'd join in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,986 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Simple solution.

1) Have the suit dry cleaned and neatly folded. Have it vacuum packed and sealed.
    2) Find out the managers hobbies/favourite sports team. Suppose it's Manchester United
    3) Buy a brand new Man U official kit bag. As the weather is cold, wear gloves when doing so. Pay for it in cash.
    4) Deliver the suit to the manager in the kit bag. Meet him outside in the car park. You know what time he arrives for work so catch him on his way in. It will be cold so you will still need to be wearing your gloves. Tell him he can keep the shitty Man U bag you got as a shitty Christmas present from your demented Gran who doesn't know you hate them.
    5) Wait a week
    6) Call the guards.
    7) Wait for the office to be raided and for the guards to find a load of coke sewn into the secret pocket in his favourite kit bag where they have been informed them the manager likes to stash his supply (.....it must have magically appeared between steps 3 and 4 above)
    8) Apply for his job when he is fired.
    9) Profit

May not be an actual serious suggestion although I couldn't tell whether some of the above were serious so I thought I'd join in

Good God !!
    You picked a good user name anyway.

Advertisement