Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uniform Question?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Simple solution.

1) Have the suit dry cleaned and neatly folded. Have it vacuum packed and sealed.
    2) Find out the managers hobbies/favourite sports team. Suppose it's Manchester United
    3) Buy a brand new Man U official kit bag. As the weather is cold, wear gloves when doing so. Pay for it in cash.
    4) Deliver the suit to the manager in the kit bag. Meet him outside in the car park. You know what time he arrives for work so catch him on his way in. It will be cold so you will still need to be wearing your gloves. Tell him he can keep the shitty Man U bag you got as a shitty Christmas present from your demented Gran who doesn't know you hate them.
    5) Wait a week
    6) Call the guards.
    7) Wait for the office to be raided and for the guards to find a load of coke sewn into the secret pocket in his favourite kit bag where they have been informed that the manager likes to stash his supply (.....it must have magically appeared between steps 3 and 4 above)
    8) Apply for his job when he is fired.
    9) Profit

May not be an actual serious suggestion although I couldn't tell whether some of the above were serious so I thought I'd join in

This is exactly what I was hoping for from this thread. Sheer lunacy/genius.

I've resolved simply to email him saying "I'll return the suit but I'd like to confirm the number of holiday days I had remaining and the date those days will be paid to me."

The suit hasn't been damaged, though it certainly wont be dry cleaned before return. In a fun twist, I'm being emailed by the tailor to collect the 2nd suit, obviously the previous manager has not alerted him yet to the fact that I won't be needing any suits, let alone 2!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

hold on to it for your work next year,

cant have too many Santa suits

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

With things like this I would be as polite as possible show they are not making me angry (even if I am) show who is the bigger person

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

wonski wrote: »
    They do exist.

As the p60 do.

They are not handed in.

Give back the suit and move on, op.

No, they are not going to report it stolen or anything like that. But give it back regardless and be done with it.

Edit: When I said they exist I meant they are still out there, just under different name.

They do confirm your employment ceased. For tax purposes. Doesn't mean your liability regarding tools not returned etc ceased.

Actually p60 and p45 do not exist since the new system of employers paying tax came in last year. You can even going I to your Revenue MyAccount and set your leave date. No more emergency tax for the most part

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Strumms wrote: »
    Hassling the school, right. That’s ok, if you want to set low standards for yourself and family go right ahead, it doesn’t mean others are prepared to follow suit and accept second hand clothing. It’s ok for goats not kids.

Reduce, re-use, re-cycle.

2nd hand clothing, 2nd hand houses, etc is not "low standards". It's simply making proper use of resources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Reduce, re-use, re-cycle.

2nd hand clothing, 2nd hand houses, etc is not "low standards". It's simply making proper use of resources.

You can’t compare clothing to housing either in material or function.

By all means if you want to wear 2nd hand clothes or your family go ahead... 99% of us wouldn’t hence the objectionable response when you advocated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

By all means if you want to wear 2nd hand clothes or your family go ahead... 99% of us wouldn’t hence the objectionable response when you advocated it.

Why do you protest so much online against simple issues? I would suspect lots of stores, hotels, food & leisure providers etc which may have universal uniforms that everyone/certain grades wear, or have part time/seasonal/high turnover staff, reuse uniforms and overalls. What’s the big deal?

Dav010 wrote: »
    Why do you protest so much online against simple issues? I would suspect lots of stores, hotels, food & leisure providers etc which may have universal uniforms that everyone/certain grades wear, or have part time/seasonal/high turnover staff, reuse uniforms and overalls. What’s the big deal?

Offering a differing opinion isn’t a protest, you should learn the difference.

In my 23 years of employment I worked for three companies who issued uniform to their staff. The last company one of my own responsibilities was to order it. Every stitch of clothing was ordered new, if you needed it you got it. It was the same in the previous two companies.

Once a guy ripped a relatively new work jacket changing the gas cylinder on a forklift, he came to me asking to see if he could get a new jacket all be it come from his wages. I explained that the jacket will be ordered but the company WILL pay for it but probably be careful in future when changing it as they were about 60 quid... another manager overheard us and suggested we look in the bags under the stairs, Greg could find one and take it home and wash it. I replied “interesting why didn’t I ask you to do the very same when YOU ordered a new one last month ?,”... the reply was a cough, nervous laugh and ..”fair point, sure order it so”... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Offering a differing opinion isn’t a protest, you should learn the difference.

In my 23 years of employment I worked for three companies who issued uniform to their staff. The last company one of my own responsibilities was to order it. Every stitch of clothing was ordered new, if you needed it you got it. It was the same in the previous two companies.

Once a guy ripped a relatively new work jacket changing the gas cylinder on a forklift, he came to me asking to see if he could get a new jacket all be it come from his wages. I explained that the jacket will be ordered but the company WILL pay for it but probably be careful in future when changing it as they were about 60 quid... another manager overheard us and suggested we look in the bags under the stairs, Greg could find one and take it home and wash it. I replied “interesting why didn’t I ask you to do the very same when YOU ordered a new one last month ?,”... the reply was a cough, nervous laugh and ..”fair point, sure order it so”... :rolleyes:

That is how it worked where you were employed, but that does not mean that it is the way it has to be. If the ops company paid for the suit, and there policy is to save both the employee having to pay, and them having to pay repeatedly for new uniforms, that is their prerogative.

If he wants the uniform back, invite him to book a courier, agree a time and give it to them in a bag, not cleaned, not ironed, unfolded, fûck them.. ALL on their time, ALL at their expense...ALL at their inconvenience, for the craic hit them with a bill for storage too... wànkers.

so don’t respond... not worth your effort.

That’s protesting to what is a fairly simple request, “please return the uniform we paid for“, being this combative takes more effort than returning what is theirs, and it looks petty/small.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They are directly comparable: they provide shelter for people's bodies.

Well more than 1% of people wear at least some 2nd hand clothing - especially in Ireland where the quality of things available in many charity shops is very good. If anything the %age needs to increase, because the fashion industry emits more carbon than international flights and maritime shipping combined.

Every company I've worked for that had an issued, not staff-purchased, uniform re-used garments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,999 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

They are directly comparable: they provide shelter for people's bodies.

Oh FFS! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

WORST THREAD EVERRRRRRRR!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

OP ignore all the goody two shoe lemmings ITT.

If that was me, after being ****ed about by a petty employer: I'd just ignore his initial requests for the uniform.

See how many times he tries to contact you. Ignore emails and calls.

He'll probably give up and forget about it after the second email.

I'd just see how far he's willing to go. After a month or so if he's still pestering you just do what one poster suggested earlier. crumple it up in a plastic bag and just leave it at the front desk.

fúck em.

I'd just see how far he's willing to go. After a month or so if he's still pestering you just do what one poster suggested earlier. crumple it up in a plastic bag and just leave it at the front desk.

fúck em.

If they genuinely want it, let them organize a courier to collect it. That’s the ‘easiest ‘ option.

I think from reading it’s just them, trying to complete a tick box exercise by forcing the poster to use their own time and petrol to return it, taking instructions from their ex employer, fûck em.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

If that was me, after being ****ed about by a petty employer: I'd just ignore his initial requests for the uniform.

See how many times he tries to contact you. Ignore emails and calls.

He'll probably give up and forget about it after the second email.

fúck em.

There is always this smart ass that has no problem telling others to do things he'd never do himself.

Well then lets hear how you'd roll back a Garda complaint when they come to your door requiring you to make a statement - probably start crying and begging for your mammy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Jim2007 wrote: »
    There is always this smart ass that has no problem telling others to do things he'd never do himself.

Well then lets hear how you'd roll back a Garda complaint when they come to your door requiring you to make a statement - probably start crying and begging for your mammy.

To be fair, I would do something like that.
    I'm a bit of a bollocks myself!

Advertisement