Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PIR in Soffit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Edser

You could leave the light in place and wire in a standalone PIR?

1097897-pic.jpg

In Woodies here:

https://www.woodies.ie/rok-180-degree-stand-alone-pir-sensor-1097897

• Registered Users Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I had considered that, but the current bulkhead lamp is ancient and due replacement anyway and would require additional appropriate cabling, so I was hoping to get an integrated unit also for aesthetics, but if necessary I would put one in - just need to get some appropriate cabling...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058038545

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

I had considered that, but the current bulkhead lamp is ancient and due replacement anyway and would require additional appropriate cabling, so I was hoping to get an integrated unit also for aesthetics, but if necessary I would put one in - just need to get some appropriate cabling...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058038545

Are those integrated ones any use? Have had a few over years ALLWAYS stopped working after a few months. I had pretty much done with PIRS assuming they were all naff. Used I think an Eclipse one from CWE standalone powering external lights. Great Job switches on when in range and has been working 3 years now!

They stop working as they are mostly IP44 and heavy rain seems to be able to penetrate them.

The location for this would be under a soffit in a sheltered corner - so would not be exposed to the elements.

They stop working as they are mostly IP44 and heavy rain seems to be able to penetrate them.

The location for this would be under a soffit in a sheltered corner - so would not be exposed to the elements.

Ah right i must keep and eye on the IP rating once i see IP i think ah perfect waterproof . Ill keep that in mind mate

• Advertisement

IP44 is the most common rating for exterior use - its just that sometimes with the really heavy rain showers we can get here an IP44 rated item in an exposed location can get penetrated and then fail.

ipchartnews.jpg

Fantastic post thanks lad;) Ill save that:cool:

The good exterior stuff will be IP66 (possibly IP67) - you'll not really see much better than that sold in mainstream suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Advertisement