Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filth Cheap Monitor ~ Or ....?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Stigura

Wow! Thanks Smuggler! That was easier than falling off a slippery log! :D

That's that bit done, at least. Still trashed to death though, at the prospect of finding myself in trouble, during the cross over, and not having any access to this place.

Frankly? I don't much fancy trying to write what's happened on a bit of paper. Then going through all the drama of unplugging one machine and fiddling about reattaching the other. Waiting for a reply. Writing That on paper. Unplugging this machine .....

For thirty quid? I'd buy a second screen and ~ I'd hope? ~ run them both till I'm sorted.

Obviously; I can't ask questions in advance as I don't know where I may hit a problem. It's bumming me out. I got The Boss' new album, " Western Stars ", for my birthday. And this thing has no disc drive! :P Gagging to listen to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

In truth these days, I would not be inclined to buy any monitor less than 1920x1080.
    At least you know it will be useful for some time to come.

During your 'conversion' you might wish to run both machines while getting used to a new way of doing things.

Another thing you had best be aware about ....... the typr and quantity of video input connections on the monitor you get.
    Most modern ones have HDMI connections.
    A goodly number also have VGA and some have HDMI, VGA and DVI.

Whatever you get you should ensure it will take your existing cable and also be capable of some future change to HDMI (if that is not what you presently use).

On th other hand ..... lots of people discard perfectly working systems so there might well be a few working systems being discarded in the new year as people have upgraded their PCs.

Lots of opportunities out there ;)

:D I see ye've found me, Johnboy?

As ye see, I'm totally committed to making the break. Just treating the whole thing as the minefield it is. I'm tending to allow myself one thought ~ then sleep on it.

HDMI? I bought a set of those. Should have them around here, somewhere. I have a drawer of random bits and leads in my store room.

Not really fussed what screen I end up with. It'll be considered 'disposable'. I literally just want to be able to read 'our' thread, while I fire up on the new machine.

Be as near as I can get to anyone who knows what they're talking about being available. There's no one around here, see?

Stigura wrote: »
    :D I see ye've found me, Johnboy?

As ye see, I'm totally committed to making the break. Just treating the whole thing as the minefield it is. I'm tending to allow myself one thought ~ then sleep on it.

HDMI? I bought a set of those. Should have them around here, somewhere. I have a drawer of random bits and leads in my store room.

Not really fussed what screen I end up with. It'll be considered 'disposable'. I literally just want to be able to read 'our' thread, while I fire up on the new machine.

Be as near as I can get to anyone who knows what they're talking about being available. There's no one around here, see?

Make sure the connector for the monitor in the back of the PC is the same as the one on the monitor you buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭circadian

Does your current screen have multiple inputs? Plug in two computers and channel hop, might be a bit of a pain in the arse depending on whatf you're doing.

:eek: OMG! I've never heard of such a thing. But, could that be the thirty quid question???

I've just grabbed this shot of the back of my monitor. I'm sure this'll mean more to you two than it does to me. But, yes: It Does look like I could screw in another blue plug!

No idea what one does then. But .....

P1030431-2-tn.jpg

Your monitor should have a menu from which you can choose which input you want displayed.

Thanks. I'll look into that.

I have buttons, along the front. But, I don't touch schit I'm not allowed to. I'll find out what model this is and shall find the manual, on line. Or in my store room? I normally keep manuals in there.

Dark in there now though. And soon time to feed the creatures. Then, I let my head shut down for the night :)

:eek: OMG! I've never heard of such a thing. But, could that be the thirty quid question???

I've just grabbed this shot of the back of my monitor. I'm sure this'll mean more to you two than it does to me. But, yes: It Does look like I could screw in another blue plug!

No idea what one does then. But .....

P1030431-2-tn.jpg

The white one is DVI and the other hdni, check connections on your other computer to see if it has either of those.

• Advertisement

P1030431.jpg

:confused:

The blue one is VGA ...... matches the blue cable connector going into the monitor.

Yeah, but; The little machine's already plugged into that one, John :confused:

My brain's starting to hurt, now. Do they do any sort of 'Splitter Box' worth considering, perhaps?

We know that one PC has a VGA connector only (pic above), but what about the other PC?
    Does that have a second video output connection as well as the VGA in use?
    Maybe a HDMI connection?

If so maybe it could use something like this (a male version)
    https://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/tv-and-audio-accessories/tv-cables/ednet-hdmi-to-dvi-d-adapter.html
    and plug into the DVI port of the monitor, leaving the VGA for the old PC.

P1040431.jpg

Sorry. I grabbed that shot down in the dark. Doesn't look like there's much there?

It's an Acer Veriton NG281G, seemingly? Funny little thing.

no, no second output.

Second monitor then ???

Second monitor then ???

One of these might be an option

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Dvi-Female-To-Vga-Male/158840/bn_7023466047

to adapt the VGA cable end from the PC to a DVI plug for the monitor.

:eek: Ten times less? Should do for a session or so? Looks like a plan! :cool:

We know that one PC has a VGA connector only (pic above).
    Isn't that DP symbol on first PC?

• Advertisement

Isn't that DP symbol on first PC?

I see the symbol you mean, and indeed you might well be correct.
    I am unsure though, because I cannot get a good view of the socket itself.
    (maybe tired old eyes at fault there)

########

Before anything is decided by Stigura, that HP needs to be booted with a live Linux, and the hardware details posted.
    It just might not play well ...... or even be non-booting if it is in storage a long time.

I could not stand switching between inputs anyway.

I can't imagine work on single monitor since got use to multi-screen setup (3 'rd one for VM's , server)

:confused: Come on now, gentlemen; Let's not be dashing my hopes at the final fence here. HP's been kept in my tool room. Nothing else in there comes to grief. Dry and well ventilated. Even paper's okay in there. (Store room, on the other hand, is a bloody nightmare of dampness, no matter what I do!)

Anyway, I got a much better shot of the back of my little Acer, off the net. Look:
    61-Bde-MNte8-L-SL1500.jpg
    Does that show ye what ye trying to see?

And, as for working with two screens? Not a big issue, is it? I'd only hope to be doing it for under an hour. It's just in case I come unstuck and want to come running back in here for help :) Not like I'm gonna spend the rest of my days messing about like that.

If I could hire an eighteen year old girl, I could have her dive in here on a phone. I've watched them. Thumbs clattering about. They can write a text with those thumbs quicker than I can type!

As it is though .....

P1030431.jpg

:confused:

There's a cable for everything.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rankie-DisplayPort-Cable-Resolution-Ready-Black/dp/B00Z05JMKO/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=displayport+to+hdmi&qid=1578155439&sprefix=display+port+to+hdmi&sr=8-3

That port with the funny looking D to the left of the blue VGA socket is a displayport. You could use the above cable with the HDMI on the monitor. Couple of quid, sorted.

:eek: And I've just dug a set of HDMI plugs out of my drawer! Got them right here in front of me!

:confused: Hang on. Ye losing me now. WTF is that thing? What am I supposed to do with it?

Sorry; I tried to read the Amazon blurb. But, nothing really sunk in :(

This is how thick ye dealing with here. Ye really do need to type slowly and avoid big words. This is why I tend to go away, to digest stuff over night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

HDMI and DisplayPort are both digital video sockets. You can get adapters very cheap, They are different shapes so the plug from one won't fit the other. I use one on a Dell laptop to connect to a TV with HDMI.

• Advertisement

LMFAO!!! Smuggler nailed it! :D

Advertisement