Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 BDO World Championships

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I can't see any of the players getting paid a penny in prize money for this event, wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if, a few days after the final, that the BDO goes bankrupt.

scudzilla wrote: »
    I can't see any of the players getting paid a penny in prize money for this event, wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if, a few days after the final, that the BDO goes bankrupt.

Very hard to disagree unfortunately. I'll admit I had high hopes at the start of the comp. Definitely evaporating now.

It's a pity because even though the standard is not at the level of the other organisation I feel it definitely has its own place/niche for the ordinary joe and Josephine who are a notch or two above pub standard as well as legends whose best days are behind them and the up and comers who have designs on going up against the big boys.

I don't know how it has sunk so low. I think myself BBC shouldn't be without blame either. They could have at least helped out and covered costs, provided promotion etc for the sake of the fans and i'm thinking of those who like watching such sports/pursuits as darts, snooker, bowls who are deprived of this once a year spectacle that they used to enjoy watching
    yet still have to pay their TV licence. I know this is Ireland but the general point stands. The Beeb used to have a lot of these lesser followed sports on on a regular basis.

Or maybe i'm just naïve :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

TBH thats a bit like saying RTE should bail out the FAI.

nannerby wrote: »
    TBH thats a bit like saying RTE should bail out the FAI.

Not really, they could pay for the broadcasting rights to fund the competition.
    No obligation to keep the BDO as a whole in the black.

I'm sure there's an appetite among the public for their yearly darts fix. Wouldn't cost millions either.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

mike2084 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Eurosport are not involved in the production of the coverage, they just relay the feed they receive, a production company do all the nuts and bolts of the coverage, and they allegedly haven't been paid for the World Masters yet....

https://dartsnews.com/bdo-in-debt-with-dutch-production-company-there-is-just-no-response/

This is correct in that Eurosport are not involved in production, they just take the feed.

However the Dutch company mentioned above are not doing the production of the Worlds because they haven't been paid for the Masters. Instead a company called 24/7 are doing the production and they are a much smaller and cheaper company hence all the terrible mistakes with the graphics and the poor camera work.

It's another cost cutting measure by the BDO. 24/7 must have been paid up front though because they would be mad to do it otherwise considering the Dutch company hasn't been paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Petyr Baelish

I meant to post this here rather than the other thread

Report from a Dutch site claiming the total prize fund is now only 83k with 23k for the winner...

https://www.dartfreakz.nl/blog/wdfbdo-hoofdnieuws/exclusief-bdo-verlaagt-opnieuw-prijzengeld-tijdens-het-wk/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

What did Fallon get for winning 2 matches? 25k?
    Pathetic prize money for the winner if true and embarrassing that she’s being called a traitor.

Come on Corrine. Turner throwing good today

What a leg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

A 43 dart leg from Hammond. That has to be a record :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭SteM

Not really, they could pay for the broadcasting rights to fund the competition.
    No obligation to keep the BDO as a whole in the black.

I'm sure there's an appetite among the public for their yearly darts fix. Wouldn't cost millions either.

Why fund one competition when the organisation is a shambles the other 51 weeks a year and could go under at any point? That would seem to be a waste of license payers money imo.

SteM wrote: »
    Why fund one competition when the organisation is a shambles the other 51 weeks a year and could go under at any point? That would seem to be a waste of license payers money imo.

Point taken. I'll rest my poor case :(

Bye bye BDO

Thannks for the memm(amm)aries both :p :rolleyes: :)

Corrine Hammond is a lovely Person ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Have enjoyed a good few of the matches so far, a few decent performances. Where's the handiest place to get the match stats? Flashscore was handy for the PDC but only lists the scores for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Where are all the fools who just watched fallons games and at xmas calling for womans own pdc tour etc ?
    43 dart leg.
    Lets call a spade a spade , ashton and fallon , susuki aside , the rest are terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Jim Williams isn't messing around.. I'd love to see him win it out

sc86 wrote: »
    Where are all the fools who just watched fallons games and at xmas calling for womans own pdc tour etc ?
    43 dart leg.
    Lets call a spade a spade , ashton and fallon , susuki aside , the rest are terrible

Beau is very good too.

Happy Birthday Beau !!

Come on Beau

A two nil win here

Ref looks like Corrine Hammond.

It's uncanny :D

Throws a good dart does Beau

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Beau Greaves looks like she has a great future, should try Q school sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Beau Greaves looks like she has a great future, should try Q school sometime.

Shes trying it next week

US2 wrote: »
    Shes trying it next week

Ah thought she might still be in regular school. De graaf had some nice finishes there in fairness. High quality match.

Ah thought she might still be in regular school. De graaf had some nice finishes there in fairness. High quality match.

Well done Beau. Some composure throughout.

An 86.11 average for Beau. She only turned 16 today! She could have a real future in the sport. Very good player.

Will be very interesting how she gets on in Q school. I don't expect her to win a card this year but definitely in the next few years.

Would give alot of men in that tournament a beating. Throw is excellent and groups well, excellent future I think.

It has to be said, and this is something that can be most definitely improved
    upon even by BDO standards but that ref in the last match, friendly and all as she was is not upto it.

She definitely got more scores wrong than right on Beau's throw. And very well done to Beau for not only keeping her composure, but speaking up as well, which cannot be easy.

Would not be one bit surprised if de Graaf lodges a complaint/ wants a rematch or something.

Heard Tony on comms say something like fair play to Beau like she was sporting and doing herself out of two points. Surely, i'm guessing here and I could well be wrong, but is it a case that ultimately the player should know what score they have left....

Pretty sure that Beau made sure she was on the right score all the same.

And again well done Beau, hope you win the whole tourney.

It has to be said, and this is something that can be most definitely improved
    upon even by BDO standards but that ref in the last match, friendly and all as she was is not upto it.

She definitely got more scores wrong than right on Beau's throw. And very well done to Beau for not only keeping her composure, but speaking up as well, which cannot be easy.

Would not be one bit surprised if de Graaf lodges a complaint/ wants a rematch or something.

Heard Tony on comms say something like fair play to Beau like she was sporting and doing herself out of two points. Surely, i'm guessing here and I could well be wrong, but is it a case that ultimately the player should know what score they have left....

Pretty sure that Beau made sure she was on the right score all the same.

And again well done Beau, hope you win the whole tourney.

I meant in comparison to the amount she got wrong on de Graaf's throw...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Kingp35 wrote: »
    An 86.11 average for Beau. She only turned 16 today! She could have a real future in the sport. Very good player.

Will be very interesting how she gets on in Q school. I don't expect her to win a card this year but definitely in the next few years.

and 47% on the checkouts - she'll give some of her Q school opponents some trouble playing like that

as for the Hammond-Turner game, nuff said!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Shes 16 and has potential but hasnt a hope in q school of getting a card

Advertisement