Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphocs card wont show

Options
  • 03-01-2020 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi All,

I have a i7 2600k with a GTX970 and decided to upgrade the graphics card so went for a RTX 2060.

System only picks the card up as a HD 3000, i have read that my board may not support PCI 3.0 but its supposedly 3.0 ready.

It a Maximus Gene Z IV.

Anyone any ideas as to what may be wrong or am i just being stupid expecting the card to work in that old system?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

MAXIMUS IV GENE-Z vs. MAXIMUS IV GENE-Z/GEN3

However, still should work on PCI2.0
    http://www.pc-specs.com/gpu/Nvidia/20_Series/GeForce_RTX_2060_6GB/4051/Compatible_Motherboards

Reseat, check all power connectors in

Could be just DoA

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Gizoter

thanks,mines a rev 1.01, so that does not suppor pci 3.0 which would make it not work?

Just a 6 pin and a 2 pin together to power the 2060

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Where did you got it? New? Fans on?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

The card should be working on old pcie, just with slight hit on performance, is that maybe some magic cheap 2060 from aliexpres?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Gizoter wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have a i7 2600k with a GTX970 and decided to upgrade the graphics card so went for a RTX 2060.

System only picks the card up as a HD 3000, i have read that my board may not support PCI 3.0 but its supposedly 3.0 ready.

It a Maximus Gene Z IV.

Anyone any ideas as to what may be wrong or am i just being stupid expecting the card to work in that old system?

Thanks
    Did you use DDU to remove old graphics drivers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

yoshiktk wrote: »
    , is that maybe some magic cheap 2060 from aliexpres?

That's what I'm thinking. You can buy fake graphics cards OP. Also PEIe gen doesn't matter as I was on PCIe gen 2.0 for years up until recently with a few different graphics cards no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

That's what I'm thinking. You can buy fake graphics cards OP. Also PEIe gen doesn't matter as I was on PCIe gen 2.0 for years up until recently with a few different graphics cards no issue.

That was my first thought at beginning. But after more thinking we just need more info from OP. What rtx2060 is it? Does the fans spin? Rgb lights on? How the monitor is connected, as the hd3000 is the cpu built in gpu.
    Try to use different pcie slot or take it out and check the port as well as card and the power connector. Loads of different things which could be the reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

yoshiktk wrote: »
    The card should be working on old pcie, just with slight hit on performance, is that maybe some magic cheap 2060 from aliexpres?

The cheapest RTX 2060 on aliexpress is $335.99 which is about right if you consider it does not include tax. It's a Chinese brand and some of the components may be of lower quality but the chipset will be a real nvidia one.
    Aliexpress are quick to remove fake listings unlike other sites such as wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

this might sound silly but here goes..have you plugged the hdmi into the motherboard or the actual gpu card?
    If you plug it into the motherboard hdmi slot it will only show as onboard graphics hence it only showing up as HD 3000
    A long shot i know but i have seen this happen once or twice

Advertisement