Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are drivers getting more aggressive last 10 years, or coked up?

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Roads are not clogged...

Ah here, unless you're talking about the country places, the cities do not look like somewhere I could drive through without murdering someone:

houston_traffic_jam_rita_jpg_133913.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 19 Liverpoolfan20

Ah here, unless you're talking about the country places, the cities do not look like somewhere I could drive through without murdering someone:

houston_traffic_jam_rita_jpg_133913.jpg

Use the bus lane, you might get caught twice a year, it's 60 quid a pop and no penalty points. So it's 120 a year to skip the traffic. Worth looking at. Live a little.

What bus lane?! All i see is more than 15 lanes of bumper to bumper traffic!

What bus lane?! All i see is more than 15 lanes of bumper to bumper traffic!

The bus lanes in Dublin City. That's a pic of a car crash in the US. Not relevant here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Just use the bus lane, there's not enough guards to police it. I find it very irritating that cyclists clog it up by cycling in the middle of the bus lane.

Wait, did you say something about cyclists being arrogant? Sure we all know someone in a car is much more important and that we should facilitate their illegal use of the roads.
    They then get angry when cars beep at them and refuse to pull in.

I find ignoring works best.
    I think most car drivers hate cyclists. Like, just stay out of the way.

Driving can be an emotional experience for some. I can't think anything miserable than sitting in a car wasting my life away when someone sails past on a bike. Can breed resentment in some motorists. A lot of them even think they own the road because they pay "road tax", which can be amusing.
    I lived in America for 2 years, best standard of living in the world there. Nobody cycles a stupid bike to work. Men are macho, and would not be seen on a bike. Roads are not clogged, works great. People go cycling in the weekend as it should be.

Well Ireland has pretty followed America as one of the most car dependent countries on the planet, with all that brings with an aggressive car culture, so you'll love it over here.
    Are you not miserable cycling a bike to work.

Nope. Best part of my day. Guaranteed timing from a to b, no frustration of being stuck for miles in lines of traffic. I'd say people that drive could be a lot more miserable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Wait, did you say something about cyclists being arrogant? Sure we all know someone in a car is much more important and that we should facilitate their illegal use of the roads.

Don't get sucked in, he's just winding you up.

The bus lanes in Dublin City. That's a pic of a car crash in the US. Not relevant here.

Yeah, America, where you said Roads are not clogged, so relevant to your point. :confused: Also, how do you know it was a crash? The article it's from doesn't appear to indicate that. And can the same be said for all pictures of traffic jams when you google 'America traffic jams'? The answer is no.

Pinch Flat wrote: »

I find ignoring works best.

Driving can be an emotional experience for some. I can't think anything miserable than sitting in a car wasting my life away when someone sails past on a bike. Can breed resentment in some motorists. A lot of them even think they own the road because they pay "road tax", which can be amusing.
    I lived in America for 2 years, best standard of living in the world there. Nobody cycles a stupid bike to work. Men are macho, and would not be seen on a bike. Roads are not clogged, works great. People go cycling in the weekend as it should be.

Well Ireland has pretty followed America as one of the most car dependent countries on the planet, wutg akkk that dmbribgs with an aggressive var culture, so you'll love it over here.

Nope. Best part of my day. Guaranteed timing from a to b, no frustration of being stuck for miles in lines of traffic. I'd say people that drive could be a lot more miserable.

But why go to work, work hard only to have to cycle home in the cold, wet and wind?

I get into a nice heated car with heated leather seats, put on my radio and cruise home.

I would have to consider my life choices if I was cycling.

After 7 the bus lanes are open to Joe public so I cruise on them but there are always stupid cyclists in the middle of the bus lane clogging it up.

I feel sorry for them, I beep, they give me the ginger and I move in. I'm the one sailing by pal. Sailing by you too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

tuxy wrote: »
    Yes this is something that anyone on two wheels will have experienced. Many people who drive cars do the same to cyclists. A complete lack of awareness that some traffic is more vulnerable or simply do not care.

The odd things is that articulated truck drivers could massacre just about anything on the road and I don't see the same poor behaviour from them. :confused:

I see plently of bad driving by truck drivers. Such as tailgating and suddenly switching lanes. This isn't unique to'em. But I don't get why you'd think some of'em aren't messing about too.

• Advertisement

I see plently of bad driving by truck drivers. Such as tailgating and suddenly switching lanes. This isn't unique to'em. But I don't get why you'd think some of'em aren't messing about too.

What's worse is truck drivers driving in the fast lane on the highways.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

All cars should really have hi-vis stripes on all sides to make sure that drivers see them. Why do we allow black/navy/burgandy cars on the road when we know they are more dangerous than bright colours?
    It's not quite as simple as that, or it depends on which studies you read. Yes white appears to be the "safest" colour, with black being the least safe, but silver is very close behind black. Which makes sense as it's not a high contrast colour. One reason why fighter aircraft started to drop the old style camouflage in favour of silver. It was the hardest colour for the brain to pick up. On the other hand other studies show different results and show silver as more safe. Which would suggest to me that a) there's bugger all decent research in the area, b) what we think is a "safe" colour may not be and c) there's likely feck all difference in reality. Though I'd reckon very bright yellows would be more visible.

Having your headlights on all the time seems to offer a safety payoff alright.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It's ok, we have all the public bus drivers making up for that.

Funny very rarely hear of a bus driver killing anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Use the bus lane, you might get caught twice a year, it's 60 quid a pop and no penalty points. So it's 120 a year to skip the traffic. Worth looking at. Live a little.
    Thanks for the reminder to report more drivers that I see using the bus lane to the Garda Traffic Watch phone line. With the helmetcamera footage, it is a slam dunk fine.

Funny very rarely hear of a bus driver killing anyone.
    The family of Mary White might not share your sense of humour.

https://www.thejournal.ie/bus-driver-cyclist-death-4335560-Nov2018/
    Or the fools can just cycle around the park on a Saturday.

You don't go to work to cycle a bike. Not how I was brought up. Get a car, a good one. Keep the cycling for the park.

It's enfuriating seeing them clog g up the road.surprised more havent been mowed down.

If you think cyclists clog up the road, you really need to improve your observation. Cyclist average speed beat motorist average speeds in most cities. Perhaps you haven't noticed the difference in space that a cyclist takes up compared to some arrogant d1ckhead driving round with an empty armchair beside him and an empty couch behind them, building up credits towards his next heart attack.

Thanks for the reminder to report more drivers that I see using the bus lane to the Garda Traffic Watch phone line. With the helmetcamera footage, it is a slam dunk fine.

The family of Mary White might not share your sense of humour.

https://www.thejournal.ie/bus-driver-cyclist-death-4335560-Nov2018/

If you think cyclists clog up the road, you really need to improve your observation. Cyclist average speed beat motorist average speeds in most cities. Perhaps you haven't noticed the difference in space that a cyclist takes up compared to some arrogant d1ckhead driving round with an empty armchair beside him and an empty couch behind them, building up credits towards his next heart attack.

What are you on about...

Road deaths or any death is no fun but look at the statistics, you would be less likely to be killed be a bus compared with, car, van and trucks.

Seriously the cycling agenda has been done to death.

There are absolutely dumb as fcuk motorists but then there are the same cycling and walking.

Obviously yada yada they don't tend to kill people yes yes we know but some people have died after been struck be cyclists it's rare but it happens.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Having your headlights on all the time seems to offer a safety payoff alright.

This. Why this isn't the law yet is beyond me. Day or night, all lights should be on regardless. It's one of the easiest solutions to implement. What's worse now is some cars have auto headlights, but you still have to manually turn on the lights to get the rears to go on, which most people forget as they have the front ones on and think all is ok.

Then again, new technology should solve this. My own car, a 2010, automatically puts on the lights when it starts to get dark. Should be standard on all vehicles.

What are you on about...

Road deaths or any death is no fun but look at the statistics, you would be less likely to be killed be a bus compared with, car, van and trucks.

Seriously the cycling agenda has been done to death.

There are absolutely dumb as fcuk motorists but then there are the same cycling and walking.

Obviously yada yada they don't tend to kill people yes yes we know but some people have died after been struck be cyclists it's rare but it happens.
    Yes, about ten times less likely to be killed by a bus compared to other forms of transport. And yes, some people have died after being struck by cyclists - two people here since the turn of the century, compared to about 4,000 people killed by motorists.

This. Why this isn't the law yet is beyond me. Day or night, all lights should be on regardless. It's one of the easiest solutions to implement. What's worse now is some cars have auto headlights, but you still have to manually turn on the lights to get the rears to go on, which most people forget as they have the front ones on and think all is ok.
    Why do we let people out on the road in charge of lethal equipment sharing space with families, kids, older people when they simply don't know how to operate their equipment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Why do we let people out on the road in charge of lethal equipment sharing space with families, kids, older people when they simply don't know how to operate their equipment?

My pet hate on the road recently is DRL's.
    People have them on but don't realise that the rear lights aren't on,they are driving around early in the morning or at dusk with these on and are nearly invisible in the poor weather we've been having. The fog in my area was terrible the other morning yet there were drivers going around with DRL's on. No knowledge of how they function yet get the hump if someone flashes them to turn on their full lights so anyone approaching from behind can see them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

17 year old driving a van on the wrong side of the Naas road killed this morning. Had a 9 year old boy in the car. Even for travellers this is pretty bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

17 year old driving a van on the wrong side of the Naas road killed this morning. Had a 9 year old boy in the car. Even for travellers this is pretty bad.

"Even for travellers"???

"Even for travellers"???

Yeah, they tend to drive around uninsured and no tax or NCT, with gay abandon, as you probably know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Seems you have your facts wrong there. The boy who was killed was the sole occupant of the car, which had come to the attention of gardai. The 9-year-old was in the other vehicle involved in the collision, along with two men.

Seems you have your facts wrong there. The boy who was killed was the sole occupant of the car, which had come to the attention of gardai. The 9-year-old was in the other vehicle involved in the collision, along with two men.

Oh, I was misinformed, my whatsapp group said it was 2 middle aged men and 2 kids in the same van, all travellers. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Oh, I was misinformed, my whatsapp group said it was 2 middle aged men and 2 kids in the same van, all travellers. :pac:

Christ ,a 17 year old is dead and you feel a laughing emoji is apt?

Presumably, you've posted a correction to the group now so that all those who were delighted to jump on the misinformation are now back on the right track?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

I'm sure he was insured and the occupants of the other car will be compensated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

I'm sure he was insured and the occupants of the other car will be compensated.

Crass

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

I think this is better here than in motors as more general.

So, on my way home 30 min ago, Dublin, I was taking the right turn off a main road into my estate. The crossroad turn is controlled by lights and has a filter lane to turn right. Green for me (but not a filter light). But the lights have an island in the middle for pedestrians with high railings so it's hard to see if it's clear to turn.

As a moved into the filter lane I noticed this *** in a Corsa right up my ass. no headlights on just the side lights (a 07 so no DLR) and he did not indicate either. So I slow as I approach the junction to ensure path is clear BEEP BEEP I hear.

Into my narrow estate and he is inches from my ass,

WTF???

Another trend I noticed in the last 10 years, if you are first at the lights and don't move off within 0.5 seconds, BEEP! I'm talking a delay literally less than 2s.

Have we all become total c**nts in our cars, or all on coke etc?

/RANT

I drive every day for hours on city center and beyond and was never beeped at lights unless I wasn't paying attention. But I agree Irish drivers are impatient. I find worst is queue skipping especially those who cut in at least second to motorway exits.

• Advertisement

jim-mcdee wrote: »
    I find worst is queue skipping especially those who cut in at least second to motorway exits.

Was behind a car who decided to go from the right lane to the slip lane at this exact point, while still doing about 110kmph. Honestly don't know how he didn't kill himself and everyone around him.

https://goo.gl/maps/ovhYFDt15CprAVb49

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

When I make such comparisons with 2010 I have to bear in mind that I’m ten years older and more likely to complain about other drivers and everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

There's definitely an increasing amount of cars that just drive right up behind you when you drive to the speed limit... I find it quite rude tbh.

I'm convinced most people don't even realise they're doing it... so many people are just so impatient these days and in such a giant rush all the time.

When you see groups of 3 or 4 cars all essentially connected to each others bumpers on back roads... this always makes me laugh, they are like lemmings... people should learn to hang back a bit and chill out... there's no need to attach yourself to another car's bumper! If you're really not happy with their speed... just overtake them!

Rant over! :D

Oh I remembered another thing, probably not coke related but driving related. For about 10 minutes on the way to work last night, I was stuck behind a lad in a 161 car, think it was a Renault. Nowhere to overtake, and doing 55-70kph on a 80kph road until he caught up to an even slower moving van (50kph). Got onto the main road (100kph), and another few minutes of waiting behind these folks at about 75kph, the road was clear so I overtook the first car, and saw another car coming (a good 15 seconds away) so pulled into the space between Renault guy and the van, a good 5 car lengths between them. So Renault guy decides to flash me, for reasons I have yet to understand. Seeing it a lot more recently, people flashing at you for overtaking them even safely. What's that about?

Oh I remembered another thing, probably not coke related but driving related. For about 10 minutes on the way to work last night, I was stuck behind a lad in a 161 car, think it was a Renault. Nowhere to overtake, and doing 55-70kph on a 80kph road until he caught up to an even slower moving van (50kph). Got onto the main road (100kph), and another few minutes of waiting behind these folks at about 75kph, the road was clear so I overtook the first car, and saw another car coming (a good 15 seconds away) so pulled into the space between Renault guy and the van, a good 5 car lengths between them. So Renault guy decides to flash me, for reasons I have yet to understand. Seeing it a lot more recently, people flashing at you for overtaking them even safely. What's that about?

These are the fools that can't hack people been in front.

These are the types that are slow as fcuk but will block you at a junction, yellow box or roundabout....

They just can't have someone going around them and tend to speed up and hug the white centre line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

But what about if the car in front is driving to the speed limit...? Not taking the pi$$, and being far slower then the speed limit?

Would you be one of those impatient drivers that would sit on their bumper, frustrated that they won't go over the speed limit? Or would you hang back and give them space?

• Advertisement

But what about if the car in front is driving to the speed limit...? Not taking the pi$$, and being far slower then the speed limit?

Would you be one of those impatient drivers that would sit on their bumper, frustrated that they won't go over the speed limit? Or would you hang back and give them space?

I'm not quite sure on the question, but if they're doing the limit, or close enough, I'll stay behind them. But I will overtake anyone doing 10kph or more below the limit, safely. I don't bumper hog, there's no need for it. If it's not safe enough to pass from a distance behind, it's not safe enough to pass imo.

If they're not taking the piss in driving, but still driving well below the limit, I'll overtake when I can. But as mentioned above, some people don't seem to like being overtaken, regardless of the speed they're doing. What irks me most are the people who drive unnecessarily slow around bends and break the limit on straights. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I'm not quite sure on the question, but if they're doing the limit, or close enough, I'll stay behind them. But I will overtake anyone doing 10kph or more below the limit, safely. I don't bumper hog, there's no need for it. If it's not safe enough to pass from a distance behind, it's not safe enough to pass imo.

If they're not taking the piss in driving, but still driving well below the limit, I'll overtake when I can. But as mentioned above, some people don't seem to like being overtaken, regardless of the speed they're doing. What irks me most are the people who drive unnecessarily slow around bends and break the limit on straights. :mad:

This I can get. I usually do a "generous" speed and will be at the speed limit, except where there is a stupid limit of say 60km on a non primary road where 45 is the clear safe limit. If someone wants to go faster, I prefer if they overtake me and then we can all be happy and stress free. I hate overtaking in general but will do it where needed when safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Antares35 wrote: »
    This I can get. I usually do a "generous" speed and will be at the speed limit, except where there is a stupid limit of say 60km on a non primary road where 45 is the clear safe limit. If someone wants to go faster, I prefer if they overtake me and then we can all be happy and stress free. I hate overtaking in general but will do it where needed when safe.

Some of the speed limits down the country are utterly daft. A track fit for donkeys, with a nice bit of grass in the middle, will sport an 80 km sign for some reason. Do they run out of other signs or something? Better to post nothing than show yourself to be a complete eejit, Mr./Ms Person in charge. Even on my parents’ old road in Galway, which was a bit bigger, I could never bring myself to go more than 60 although the limit was 80. Actually, as a returning tourist ignoramus, I find Dubs more patient than my fellow culchies with my slow and frequently erroneous North American driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Some of the speed limits down the country are utterly daft. A track fit for donkeys, with a nice bit of grass in the middle, will sport an 80 km sign for some reason. Do they run out of other signs or something? Better to post nothing than show yourself to be a complete eejit, Mr./Ms Person in charge. Even on my parents’ old road in Galway, which was a bit bigger, I could never bring myself to go more than 60 although the limit was 80. Actually, as a returning tourist ignoramus, I find Dubs more patient than my fellow culchies with my slow and frequently erroneous North American driving.

This is an easy one to explain. 80 km/h is the default for R and L roads. When you move from one zone to another there must be a sign, so you will usually see a sign to let you know the limit is 80 when leaving a town or village. This can lead to a ridiculous 80 sign in some places.

The local council could change the limit for these dangerous sections but just think how many signs and how the limit would be constantly changing( more dangerous in the long run)
    Enforcing speed limits on these roads is impossible anyway, just think of a Garda or van waiting on a road that only sees a few cars an hour.

Rural roads are dangerous because of limited visibility, poor surface, narrow and I'm sure there are many other factors with speed only being one of them.

Rural roads are dangerous because of limited visibility, poor surface, narrow and I'm sure there are many other factors with speed only being one of them.
    Roads aren't dangerous at all. Drivers are dangerous.

• Advertisement

Roads aren't dangerous at all. Drivers are dangerous.

Ah will you come off it.... Cyclists like yourself are always going on about the dangerous roads etc....

Seriously what's your agenda.

Ah will you come off it.... Cyclists like yourself are always going on about the dangerous roads etc....

Seriously what's your agenda.
    My agenda is that drivers start taking responsibility for their driving, and stop blaming roads, other drivers, cyclists, weather, sun and everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

This is an easy one to explain. 80 km/h is the default for R and L roads. When you move from one zone to another there must be a sign, so you will usually see a sign to let you know the limit is 80 when leaving a town or village. This can lead to a ridiculous 80 sign in some places.

The local council could change the limit for these dangerous sections but just think how many signs and how the limit would be constantly changing( more dangerous in the long run)
    Enforcing speed limits on these roads is impossible anyway, just think of a Garda or van waiting on a road that only sees a few cars an hour.

They're dangerous when people do inappropriate speeds on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yesterday, at a major signalised roundabout, if I had taken off on my green light at a normal pace, I would have t-boned the car which followed the other two cars through the red light.

Not stopping at red lights had become the norm, it seems to me.

Advertisement