Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are drivers getting more aggressive last 10 years, or coked up?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

buried wrote: »
    Its like going to the shop to buy something and some person in front of you wants to check 20 lotto tickets at the counter in front of you. Sure what can you do? Get worked up over it? Curse them for doing what they are entitled to do themselves? Whats the point? You are only working yourself up, flooding your own veins with cortisol that will kill you quicker. They don't give a $hit.
    Had very similar back in november. Was in a queue in a Tesco(one till and self service tills) and this muppet ahead after going back and forth to exchange stuff at the till holding up proceedings until the line grew, then after paying pulls out a rake of lotto tickets. I had enough of the self centred bastard, so I went up to him and politely suggested he have some consideration for others and fuck off until the queue cleared. He got a bit thick with me and one could see that thick went well back behind the eyes, but he got the message with the loud enough grumble of agreement from my fellows in the queue. So he fucked off, mumbling under his breath, looking for some sharp comeback that would never come. Self centred prick. If more people took such selfish people to task, the fewer there would be.
    Antares35 wrote: »
    People are d#cks all the time on the road not just at lights. If you dont have 2 seconds to wait while someone puts their car into gear then leave the house earlier.
    Two seconds is fine, it's those dribbling morons who go to five even ten seconds before the penny drops from the scarce penny bin, before they drive off. As well as the delay it's the clear signal that too many slow wits are sharing the road.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

ABout .5 to 1 second - just be ready and watch light sequence

We probably should change to UK system - to get the orange light flashing in the day dreamy Irish heads.

Is that time enough to give clearance to the inevitable 3 drivers coming across who have run the gauntlet after their own lights have gone red :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Got a bag of coke with my Merc purchase.

I bought from a dealer, afterall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Reading this thread, glad I don't have a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Got a bag of coke with my Merc purchase.

I bought from a dealer, afterall

BMW also have that same offer. You get one free optional extra, indicator stalks or bag of coke.
    Guess which option is the most popular?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

BMW drivers were always aggressive!

Pr!ck that lives round my way has an m3, noisy exhaust dump valve and all that crap. Was behind me at lights recently, within milliseconds of the green light he was on the horn, my solution, 10kph for the next 3/4kms, his face was redder than the offending traffic light we had left behind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    Pr!ck that lives round my way has an m3, noisy exhaust dump valve and all that crap. Was behind me at lights recently, within milliseconds of the green light he was on the horn, my solution, 10kph for the next 3/4kms, his face was redder than the offending traffic light we had left behind!

The people behind the pr!ck you were teaching a lesson to?

The people behind the pr!ck you were teaching a lesson to?

There was none behind him, quiet Saturday morning, but don't let that spoil your condescension!

There was none behind him, quiet Saturday morning, but don't let that spoil your condescension!

So for 3/4 kms on a Saturday morning there was only you and the subject of your lesson.
    Another cop wannabe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

So for 3/4 kms on a Saturday morning there was only you and the subject of your lesson.
    Another cop wannabe.

Nothing stopping the guy over taking then. I don't get why the person behind, would rather drive through the person in front instead of around'em sometimes.

• Advertisement

Nothing stopping the guy over taking then. I don't get why the person behind, would rather drive through the person in front instead of around'em sometimes.

The point is someone attempting to teach another driver 'manners' is a dangerous and stupid act.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The point is someone attempting to teach another driver 'manners' is a dangerous and stupid act.

It's not about manners if they couldn't get around a slow moving vehicle!

Another cop wannabe.
    I wasn't in any hurry so was just fine.

I wasn't in any hurry so was just fine.

You already admitted you caused the other driver to go redder than the traffic light. Sounds like you caused serious rage and frustration, two emotions that can cause people to do stupid and irrational things. Personally I think it leaves you as much a pr!ck as the subject of your lesson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Especially since so many BMW drivers seem to have learning disabilities.

Over Christmas I was in medium traffic and first at the lights but when the lights turned green I couldn't go ahead as there was a yellow junction box and no space
    to proceed after it. Had a BMW beeping me to go forward even though I'd be stuck on a junction box. Granted he was trying to go left, but the rules still applied. A typically twenty-something t*sser with his skanger girlfriend in the passenger seat. Only one church ceremony away from becoming a wife beater I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

It's not about manners if they couldn't get around a slow moving vehicle!

Maybe there was a solid white line, and he was obeying the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

It's perfectly safe to drive slower if being tailgated, in fact it's the proper thing to do. The tailgating driver chooses to increase the risk of a collision so the driver in front manages this risk by slowing down to lessen the impact of any collision.

pablo128 wrote: »
    Maybe there was a solid white line, and he was obeying the law.

You can overtake a "slow moving" vehicle if there's a solid white line. But again, it comes to the statement I made before that, if you can't get around them, why drive as if to go through them?

You can overtake a "slow moving" vehicle if there's a solid white line. But again, it comes to the statement I made before that, if you can't get around them, why drive as if to go through them?

You are only allowed to cross a white line in an emergency or for access. Can't find it in the rules of the road where it says you can overtake a slow moving vehicle if there is a solid white line maybe you can link to where it allows for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

You are only allowed to cross a white line in an emergency or for access. Can't find it in the rules of the road where it says you can overtake a slow moving vehicle if there is a solid white line maybe you can link to where it allows for it

It's probably in the BMW owners manual.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

AFAIK, I think that's a law in the UK but not here.

AFAIK, I think that's a law in the UK but not here.

Well, I learned that here.

Well, I learned that here.

Section 6 of the rules of the road is a better place to learn tbh.

Section 6 of the rules of the road is a better place to learn tbh.

So? You should read the disclaimer within the book, where it pretty much suggests they are tips for safe driving, not law and that it can't be used as a reference in court. :pac:

So? You should read the disclaimer within the book, where it pretty much suggests they are tips for safe driving, not law and that it can't be used as a reference in court. :pac:

Never knew the rules of the road were only a series of tips, must remember that if I ever need to explain my actions to a guard.
    Although the 1988 road traffic act sort of dismisses your tip claim.

• Advertisement

Never knew the rules of the road were only a series of tips, must remember that if I ever need to explain my actions to a guard.
    Although the 1988 road traffic act sort of dismisses your tip claim.
    The overall aim of this book is to promote safety, good driving practice and
    courtesy in using our roads according to the law. It is an interpretation of the
    law from a road safety point of view; it is not the law.

From page 9 of the ROTR linked directly on garda.ie.

https://www.garda.ie/en/Crime/Traffic-matters/Rules_of_the_road.pdf

So what about the 1988 traffic act then?

From page 9 of the ROTR linked directly on garda.ie.

https://www.garda.ie/en/Crime/Traffic-matters/Rules_of_the_road.pdf

So what about the 1988 traffic act then?

It deals with the rules concerning a continuous white line and when it is legal to cross it. Hint it doesn't allow for what you claimed.

It deals with the rules concerning a continuous white line and when it is legal to cross it. Hint it doesn't allow for what you claimed.

It'd be nice if you could at least link it, because I can only find one for the UK, which isn't here.

It'd be nice if you could at least link it, because I can only find one for the UK, which isn't here.

Funny that, the very first link I find when I ask Google ' is it legal to cross a continuous white line in Ireland' mentions the 1988 act you will also find mention to the '64 traffic act. Also hire companies advising clients not to overtake on a continuous white line Dan Dooley car hire I believe.
    Sometimes when you're wrong it's best to acknowledge your mistake and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

tuxy wrote: »
    BMW also have that same offer. You get one free optional extra, indicator stalks or bag of coke.
    Guess which option is the most popular?

I was so disappointed when I realised the Merc came with indicators as standard. Thankfully I had that big bag of Coke that the OP is on about to get me through the ordeal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

jk23 wrote: »
    A van overtook me quite dangerously this evening, then when it was ahead of me it indicated left and right quickly... Have no idea what that means but it seems like an aggressive gesture?...

What happened was the can driver hit the indicator by accident and panicked when he seen the flashing green light on the dashboard because they didn't know what it was for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

jk23 wrote: »
    A van overtook me quite dangerously this evening, then when it was ahead of me it indicated left and right quickly... Have no idea what that means but it seems like an aggressive gesture?...

I've seen this one used to replace the hazard lights to say thank you.
    Did you move in a way that made it easier for him to get by? That could be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

That's a trucker thing or if hazard switch ain't working...

Left..right..left .. right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Trust me , the person behind would prefer the brake light .

Moving to d would be slower than the speed of restart system.

No, not everyone wants an F1 start off the green light. And I'd much prefer the 1-2 seconds it takes to go rather than be blinded by unnecessarily bright red LED's being held down 3 feet from my face. You might prefer the F1 start, but you can't say everyone would. I did find the HOLD function yesterday, but I believe the brake lights stay on while you're in HOLD, so probably won't use that in traffic.
    cajonlardo wrote: »
    If you are on call emergency personnel driving your own car responding to a life and death situation and approach a car that is dittering and doddling you most likely will sound the horn to alert the other driver.

It wouldn't matter who was behind you, if you're in a personal vehicle with no "blues and twos" (technically three's now?), you have no right to make people move out of your way, and flashing lights/beeping the horn is not the appropriate way to get people to move.

If you are required to do these journeys, you should be provided with a work vehicle with the lights and sirens, otherwise you're just another road user. And don't bother coming back with 'what if it was your whatever relative', that's not an excuse.

No, you can't:

S.I. No 294/1964 Road Traffic General Bye Laws, 1964:

9 Continuous white lines

9. An authorised continuous white line along the centre of a roadway shall indicate that traffic must drive to the left of the line, and when on a stretch of roadway on which such a line has been provided a driver shall, save for the purpose of entering or leaving land or premises adjoining the right hand side of that roadway, drive to the left of the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

is it me or have people become really cocky when using their phones while driving, its like they know the chances of being caught are very small. saw some dumb ass woman using a roundabout with her phone help in front of her mouth, another idiot guy today who was driving a van at 40 kph+ in a 30 kph zone, he had the phone perched on his steering wheel while texting. then he was doing 100kph+ in an 80kph zone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

pgj2015 wrote: »
    is it me or have people become really cocky when using their phones while driving, its like they know the chances of being caught are very small. saw some dumb ass woman using a roundabout with her phone help in front of her mouth, another idiot guy today who was driving a van at 40 kph+ in a 30 kph zone, he had the phone perched on his steering wheel while texting. then he was doing 100kph+ in an 80kph zone.

Someone passsd me earlier in a car while i was out walking. Pitch black, no lights, but looked like some sort of ipad or tablet he had mounted on the dash. You've got to wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Someone passsd me earlier in a car while i was out walking. Pitch black, no lights, but looked like some sort of ipad or tablet he had mounted on the dash. You've got to wonder.

Depending on the car, it could just the In Car Entertainment, ie: the Tesla Model 3 has what can only be described as a large tablet as the dash:

Model-3-Interior-Dashboard-Head-On.jpeg?w=730&crop=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Depending on the car, it could just the In Car Entertainment, ie: the Tesla Model 3 has what can only be described as a large tablet as the dash:

Unless they were putting these in micras from the 2000's, probably not. Tesla or not you still have someone driving in the dark with no lights on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0dxAX072d4I

As per the vid, it looks like the tablet in the model 3 IS the dash... not being straight in the eye-line and offset plus being interactive to display certain info...I’m not sure it wouldn’t take quite a bit of getting used to. Any Tesla drivers out there got an opinion ? I’m seeing about three a week now so some about.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭divillybit

dan1895 wrote: »
    Only yesterday I saw the driver of a van from one one of the big TV/BB companies overtake a car stopped at a red light and go through the junction.

As a driver of a marked company van with a tracker in it, if I did something as dumb as what dan1985 mentioned I would expect other drivers that witnessed it to ring my head office and report it even if they didn't get the registration number. Its easy for management to figure out where a van was at a particular time when there is a tracker in it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Strumms wrote: »
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0dxAX072d4I

As per the vid, it looks like the tablet in the model 3 IS the dash... not being straight in the eye-line and offset plus being interactive to display certain info...I’m not sure it wouldn’t take quite a bit of getting used to. Any Tesla drivers out there got an opinion ? I’m seeing about three a week now so some about.
    Not specifically about the Tesla, more about large screens in cars. I seem to recall, I think originally around third party satnavs and the like, that there was a screen size limit by regulation because of potential driver distraction, but that seems to have vanished?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Pinch Flat wrote: »

I've had three or four incidents in recent days, all with non-native Irish drivers - middle-eastern or Indian/Pakistani, with drivers with their phones playing videos on the dash while driving. This is becoming endemic, and is not explicitly illegal in Irish law (unlike the UK).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Without reading the rest of the comments bar the first page so I’m not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone’s posts, in my observations of driving rush hour every day it seems to be a lot of foreign drivers. Their attitude stinks and in turn this is rubbing up Irish people the wrong way and making Irish people more aggressive and less impatient.
    I’m not here to say “blame the foreigners” I’ve many friends from different countries. This is a general observation.
    I’ve had a number of encounters with drivers from different parts of the world.
    80% of incidents I encounter of aggression are foreign and about 20% are Irish males driving vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Basically you're scum if you are a pedestrian in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

it was all native Irish people i saw at stupid things not foreigners.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

i drive an 3litre supercharged audi and i own the road. pedestrians can go to #@-. too many cars blocking my way, not driving fast enough, keep up with traffic. hesitate on your own time. Dont be wasting my time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

i drive an 3litre supercharged audi and i own the road. pedestrians can go to #@-. too many cars blocking my way, not driving fast enough, keep up with traffic. hesitate on your own time. Dont be wasting my time.

Which photo is you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Saw a cyclist getting beeped at this morning by some driver as they overtook him, not sure why, but when we both passed the car a few seconds later the driver was on her phone sending a message. So it's ok for her to break the law but the cyclist can't use the road while she's on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

So it's ok for her to break the law but the cyclist can't use the road while she's on it.

You're finally getting it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Lets be honest lads. Most people shouldn't be allowed drive a wheelbarrow, never mind a car. Both the test and the law enforcement should be a lot stricter than they are. Unfortunately we now live in a country where everyone is expected to drive and a good number of people have no alternatives. And a lot of people are muppets who don't realise how bad they are at it :pac:

Advertisement