Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV Cameras - ways to connect PoE switch to modem

Options
  • 03-01-2020 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hello good folks,

planning out the installation of some cctv cameras over the coming month.

the camera's will be out the back of the house and I want to bring the cables into the kitchen and connect them to a PoE switch i would locate their. however i want to be able to view camera's remotely so ultimately need to have the switch connected to the internet modem, which unfortunately is at the front end of the house.

is there any way to connect the poe switch to the modem without running an ethernet cable across the house? my thinking was to connect the poe switch to a router and somehow connect it to the modem, however is there any way to connect a router to the modem wireless i.e. no ethernet cable

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭tech

a set of the below would linkup the switch to the router

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8889405/Trail/searchtext%3ETPLINK.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Hello good folks,

planning out the installation of some cctv cameras over the coming month.

the camera's will be out the back of the house and I want to bring the cables into the kitchen and connect them to a PoE switch i would locate their. however i want to be able to view camera's remotely so ultimately need to have the switch connected to the internet modem, which unfortunately is at the front end of the house.

is there any way to connect the poe switch to the modem without running an ethernet cable across the house? my thinking was to connect the poe switch to a router and somehow connect it to the modem, however is there any way to connect a router to the modem wireless i.e. no ethernet cable

thanks in advance

You could use powerline adapter to run a connection over your electric board to the modem. Don't go wireless as wired is better. You will lose some speed on the powerline adapters but this should be ok for your cameras

See basic ones Here

• Registered Users Posts: 48 AnthonyOD1987

Thanks to you both this is exactly what I was looking for.

Have good weekend folks

Advertisement