Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delayed Flight Compensation (Ryanair/Bad Weather)

Options
  • 04-01-2020 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭

My flight from France to Ireland was delayed on 01/01/2020. Meant to depart at 8pm but no announcement until 7.50pm to say that the plane couldn't land at our airprt (Grenoble) and that it had to land in Marseille. They then offered a 4 hour bus to Marseille and we departed at 1am. I only found out the reason was due to bad weather conditions, however in my emails and texts from Ryanair there is no confirmation of this.

I applied for compensation through Ryanair but they said the below:

"I regret the delay of your flight which was due to adverse weather, low visibility on the previous leg of the flight. As this delay was unexpected we wish to inform you that no compensation is due under EU261/2004 as this was caused due to extraordinary circumstances beyond Ryanair's control."

I know it doesn't look like Ryanair will budge here but just wondering if anyone else was in a similar situation and were able to claim compensation? Being put on a 4 hour bus and eventually landing in Dublin the next morning at 2.30am was quite an inconvenience, especially with work the next day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Do you dispute their claim that the plane couldn't land in Grenoble because of adverse weather?

Why would they concoct a false story and bus you for four hours to another airport where they kept the plane waiting to fly you home?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Considering the tight 20-25min turnarounds of aircraft, a 7.50pm announcement would be about right for that situation.

Unexpected weather and being unable to land is hardly Ryanairs fault.

Absolutely no entitlement to compo.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

Darc19 wrote: »
    Considering the tight 20-25min turnarounds of aircraft, a 7.50pm announcement would be about right for that situation.

Unexpected weather and being unable to land is hardly Ryanairs fault.

Absolutely no entitlement to compo.

Would look into this further, the delay and the bad weather was not on your flight, it was a the previous flight and therefore there could be a case.
    If you have time do the research, if not land it back on one of the compensation sites, they'll obviously take a cut but less time and effort

swampy353 wrote: »
    Would look into this further, the delay and the bad weather was not on your flight, it was a the previous flight and therefore there could be a case.
    If you have time do the research, if not land it back on one of the compensation sites, they'll obviously take a cut but less time and effort

Zero case as it was the immediate previous leg, not a flight earlier in the day.

The compo culture is effing disgusting in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

Darc19 wrote: »
    Zero case as it was the immediate previous leg, not a flight earlier in the day.

The compo culture is effing disgusting in this country.

If there is a legitimate claim then what's disgusting about that? There was a loss of time and inconvenience incurred.
    It's EU wide legalisation that's been invoked not ambulance chasing. If there is a loss (of time, money etc) there should be compensation but always proportionate to the situation.
    Have no tolerance for people who are claiming for their own stupidity or minor inconvenience. There also need to be consequences for people found to be pulling the p1ss

• Advertisement

If there is a legitimate claim then what's disgusting about that? There was a loss of time and inconvenience incurred.
    It's EU wide legalisation that's been invoked not ambulance chasing. If there is a loss (of time, money etc) there should be compensation but always proportionate to the situation.
    Have no tolerance for people who are claiming for their own stupidity or minor inconvenience. There also need to be consequences for people found to be pulling the p1ss

Op is barely home and was looking for compensation even though it was explained that adverse weather was to blame.

After chancing their arm they also get a full valid explanation and rejection of their claim.

And STILL they are looking for an angle.

As I said, the compo culture is disgusting.

If there is a legitimate claim then what's disgusting about that?

The problem is that on the face of it, this is not a legitimate claim.
    There was a loss of time and inconvenience incurred.

This is the essence of the 'compo culture' - I suffered therefore somebody has to pay me compensation. In this case, the cause was weather so there is neither a legal nor a moral case for compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Jaysus, the overreactions and bitterness here. Was simply inquiring. "Comp Culture". Compensation for delayed flights literally exist. Ryanair even emailed me a document for proof of the delay (no reason given though), so that I can make a claim through travel insurance. The airline itself is even recommending a claim! I have no travel insurance unfortunately, but was just wondering if there were other avenues from fellow travelers here. I wouldn't even bat an eyelid over a small delay, but 5 hours later and a 4 hour bus journey was a bit of an inconvenience. I think it's fair enough to inquire about compensation in this case. It's looking unlikely though, which of course is fine, I'll survive.

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Compensation for delayed flights literally exist.

Nobody is disputing this. What we're trying to tell you is that where the delay is cause by factors outside the airline's control, you have no case for compensation against them.
    sheroman01 wrote: »
    Ryanair even emailed me a document for proof of the delay (no reason given though), so that I can make a claim through travel insurance. The airline itself is even recommending a claim!

A claim for flight delay against your travel insurance is a totally different matter to claiming compensation from the airline for a flight delayed by weather.

My travel insurance will pay me money once a flight is delayed (for any reason) by 8 hours or more and if the first flight of my holiday is delayed by 12 hours, I'm allowed to abandon the entire holiday, go home and I can claim all non-recoverable monies that I've already paid. The reasons for the delay are irrelevant, virtually every eventuality (incl. industrial disputes) are covered.

A claim under travel insurance is a totally different subject and has nothing to do with someone asking if they can claim compensation from the airline for a flight delay cause by weather. Ryanair providing assistance to you for a potential claim against a travel insurance policy in no way shows that you have a case against them for the delay.

Advertisement