Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronation Street [News, Spoilers and Discussion] contd

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭phormium

I thought Daisy had broken a bone or something when she fell as she seemed to be having difficulty getting up off floor but apparently not! It was definitely a horrific scenario.

On a trivial note I was very underwhelmed with Daisy's wedding dress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

not that I was fixated on Daisy's boobs or anything there was definitely glistening liquid on one of them and she had a patch on it in hospital so she definitely got some of it although ryan took the brunt of it - he was so lucky it did not go into his eye and blinded him, look like it got the left hand side of his face , the angle that he ran out and shielded daisy in real life that would have gone into his eyes for sure theres no doubting that.

Surprising they done such a horrific episode before the 9pm watershed - I have know corrie run some less horrific storylines and air them after 9pm in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭magicray

Both Ryan and Daisy were absolutely excellent last night, it was pretty horrific listening to the screaming

Wonder how they are going to manage the scaring on Ryan - lots of make up for every scene he is in will be hard work, I was wondering would they limit it to his shoulder area so it wouldn't be seen

Agree the wedding dress was very underwhelming

Saw the actor on UK tv this morning, said an hour to put on and an hour to take off the make up/stuff they are using for the scars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Sparko

I wonder does that put a bit of a shelf life on him as a character because that's a lot of effort for him and the makeup crew for every scene he is ever going to be involved in from now on.

I seem to remember they struggled with Todd's permanent facial scarring a few years back and then they quietly retired it when they recast him, and that was a lot less makeup work.

I think he'll either have to eventually have very successful looking skin grafts or he'll leave the show, can't see either party wanting to go through all that work indefinitely whenever he's going to be in an episode.

• Advertisement

I took from the interview that it was just the initial injury was taking that long for make up, I presume as it heals they can lay off the heavy duty stuff but then again I dunno! Maybe the skin grafts will make an excellent job of it and maybe Daisy shoving him into shower will help, who knows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭DT2016

I always wondered how these people get acid Jesus omg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

There was a sizzling sound while she was down so I guess that was her burn taking effect. I think she was dazed/in shock/pain from her own wound before Ryans screams kind of snapped her out of it and into action/auto pilot to help him as best she could before she shut back down again until Abbi found her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭threetrees

What an episode! They acted it really well. Horrible thing to happen, be interesting to see how they all deal with this.

So are we thinking Alya and Ryan get back together?

I'd imagine the makeup department will have a tough time getting the scars right every time! Unless they stick and blend a wax moulded scar piece to his face?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Whilst they really pushed the boat out with the effects etc. which I suppose they are to be commended on, I would have a few other faults

What was Justin doing in a dark clearly closed pub with nobody serving at the counter? Does anybody lock a door on Coronation Street at all?

The whole male stalker and helpless female victim and reticence of the police to do anything about it has been trumpeted on every episode, the spoilers had us believe that Daisey was going to be attacked with acid on her wedding day, soo, it all seemed like the producers had a very specific agenda, but did they completely chicken out in the end and let a male character take the brunt of the attack?

The attack went horribly wrong, because Ryan basically jumped on Justin, would some of the acid not have splashed back on Justin?

After the attack, Daisey was lying on the ground for an eternity, why?

The whole Daisey and Justin, Hospital car park thing... ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Yes the whole thing is rubbish. The camera lingering all over Daisy. Yer man appearing out of nowhere. The two of them in the carpark and nobody with Daisy all that time? Stretches credibility. Fed up with Daisy's eyes up to heaven look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,755 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think it's explained why Justin was in the bar alone.

For some reason they decided to open on Daisy's Wedding Day.

Then with all the excitement and drama they left the bar unmanned by accdient.

Which would have given ample time for Justin to get in hide in the toilets/etc.

Personally I can't really speak about stalkers and The Police. Generally you only hear about it if something goes wrong and you wouldn't know of they sorted things early on. However that wouldn't have made much of a soap story.

Maybe it's because I was a soap fan but to me always knew the acid was going land on somebody else.

One possible reason for this is in my opinion they can't really show acid attacks succeeding.

It might have splashed back on Justin but how well was he covered up/etc. I'm not an expert with these things.

Yes Daisy was on the floor for ages. However from speaking/listening to people who experienced accdients/trauma. They say time can almost freeze. Seconds seem like minutes.

Amy's mopey face is annoying now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,609 ✭✭✭prunudo

I know they're serious topics but you'd have to question why they have the two running concurrently. Makes a pre watershed soap opera very heavy watching. Not exactly light entertainment anymore. We're not long over Max's terror grooming, Hope's storyline and the Nick/Leanne vs Harvey/Damon has been ongoing a long time now. Not too mention the Stephen murderous spree albeit its almost comically if it wasn't so serious.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I haven't watched Corrie for ages but was watching these episodes and I swear I thought Ryan and Daisy were a couple at times. Definitely more chemistry than her and Daniel, or him and Alya.

As for the scarring, I'm trying to remember how they did it on Emmerdale a few years back. I seem to remember Ross wearing his hood up an awful lot after the initial attack storyline died down. Maybe they'll do that with Ryan after a while. The bandages look far enough back that a strategically placed hood could probably save an hour in makeup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Sparko

I wish the writers wouldn't be so lazy about why characters who should return for a storyline, don't.

Obviously actors leave the show and they're not going to rehire them everytime they should be involved - weddings, funerals, accidents etc but surely there's ways to write around that other than "oh she couldn't come because she's sick".

Michelle should be at the hospital for Ryan. Stick an extra in a black wig and film from behind if needs be. Combine that with her being out of the room for a coffee or to get some sleep etc and they can get the message across that she's there without needing Kym Marsh on screen. Few episodes of that and then they send her back to wherever she is supposed to be.

Huge win for Aaron.

No case to answer AND dumped by Summer.

Alya promising to never leave Ryan's side like he hasn't suffered enough

1% of all cases christ that makes my blood boil

• Advertisement

It's interesting to see them doing Amy's story alongside Daisy's. Like it feels very deliberate in how they're portraying a pretty useless police force/justice system.

actually the police pretty useless in the fact that they didnt have a police officer on the outside of the hospital door/entrance and Justin could just drive up to the hospital car park like that unchallenged - he might have wanted to finish off the job on daisy!

2 things, maybe its true maybe they wouldn't have had the resources to put an officer or officers outside the hospital , even though there was an acid attack victim being treated there , due to cutbacks/resources or that IRL there would have been officers there when daisy and Ryan was in there , but for the sakes of the storyline that daisy had to get the last result over her attacker stalker bloke.

I actually kind of in a way can believe the storyline with aron and amy - both blind drunk at the time, and as much as people dont like it or dont want to hear it , that would be a bloody nightmare of a case and having a jury decide who was telling the truth ... and the judge would have more than likely threw it out of court anyway - that fact of both drunk and not enough evidence

I think there's a good chance Aaronn will slip up again.

I do question his relationship with Abi.

Yeah, I'm not questioning how realistic it all is. It's well known that the police and justice system routinely let women down, especially in the UK. There's a whole host of reasons behind it.

I'm just pointing out that it feels like they're not just doing two separate storylines here. I've seen people complain that Corrie is too dark at the moment, and did they really need to have Amy's story going on at the same time as Daisy's. But it feels like a deliberate choice to do them side by side, and they're making a very deliberate point about the police/justice system.

I think it's a good thing too. It's hard to do anything new on a soap, so to take two things that have been done before, and use them to look at something else, is a good route to take.

The thing with Aaron is that it's more a consent story than a story about a depraved and violent sex criminal. Like I don't think anyone else is in immediate risk of him attacking them.

I think the problem is Aaronn can't see any wrong in what he did.

it most certainly has opened his eyes now, he is scarred for life now - next time for him (if there is a next time) and he gets drunk (and he most probably will) and the next girl he will be going "Look how drunk are you ? - just want to check, do you know what your doing?" and if she says "yes" - then he be going "sorry , you dont mind if I record you saying you consent on my mobile phone do you?, only I had a bad experience before.. I thought she was awake and just enjoying the moment, didnt realise she passed out on me" - yeah right passion killer it will be - she more than likely be thinking 'how odd, keep asking if I am OK and consenting instead of just spontaneously getting on with it!'

That's exactly it. That's what the story is as far as his character is concerned. The fact the police let him go almost immediately just backs that idea up for him. So I don't know where its going to go for him now. Will he eventually realise what he did, or will he just get back to his normal life now and Amy will be the one left dealing with it all. Which is unfortunately the way these things usually go.

Could be interesting to just have the situation come out into the open to allow other characters to be discussing the whole issue of consent, rather than it just being a "justice for Amy" storyline.

that was a bit weird how 'pally' that detective women was with Aron when she told him that they were dropping the case , the way she was talking to him - i just found it weird. was picking up vibes that she was even sympathetic to him for 'wasting his time' and even putting him through all that ... or was i the only one who picked up on that?

• Advertisement

Faye exiting this Summer!

Advertisement