Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronation Street [News, Spoilers and Discussion] contd

Comments

jams100 wrote: »
    Was only talking to my Pakistani friend about this a few weeks ago, I think us white people don't get the racism as it obviously doesn't happen to us, he told me that it can be particularly bad on public transport and one time a few years ago some junkie got sick and rubbed it on him, maybe if we asked people we'd know more? Obviously the large large majority aren't racist but it only takes 1% to make someone's life a bit of a misery.
    I thought that was a particularly good episode myself

It doesnt happen to us white people does it not?

hmmm :confused:

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dublin-gardai-gang-youths-breakingnews-18286576

So you know its only the 1% and that in the incident you describe its a junkie but how on earth do you hope to educate this behaviour out of junkies who only care where their next fix is coming from??

And why is a soap aimed at millions of people deciding to highlight a story where racism is perpetrated by 1% of the people???

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭jams100

It doesnt happen to us white people does it not?

hmmm :confused:

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dublin-gardai-gang-youths-breakingnews-18286576

So you know its only the 1% and that in the incident you describe its a junkie but how on earth do you hope to educate this behaviour out of junkies who only care where their next fix is coming from??

And why is a soap aimed at millions of people deciding to highlight a story where racism is perpetrated by 1% of the people???

I'm not sure why that story was put in, nothing about the race of the group or the attacked. I'm presuming you saw or heard somewhere the race of the group. Ok these will happen, im not saying they won't but I've never experienced racism 2 of my white friends that I've talked to about this have never experienced but the one non Irish has.
    I never really thought racism was still as evident as it still is but there you have it. These idiots likely do it when there in a group and the foreign person is on there own.

Its not just junkies its others as well, most likely the same type of people who spit at gardai. If you have black or coloured friends maybe ask them its probably more common than your aware at least it was for me.

You even hear of these racist chants at football matches so clearly it is still a problem. Coronation Street were right to cover it and they done a very good job

jams100 wrote: »
    I'm not sure why that story was put in, nothing about the race of the group or the attacked. I'm presuming you saw or heard somewhere the race of the group. Ok these will happen, im not saying they won't but I've never experienced racism 2 of my white friends that I've talked to about this have never experienced but the one non Irish has.
    I never really thought racism was still as evident as it still is but there you have it. These idiots likely do it when there in a group and the foreign person is on there own.

Its not just junkies its others as well, most likely the same type of people who spit at gardai.
    If you have black or coloured friends maybe ask them its probably more common than your aware at least it was for me.

You even hear of these racist chants at football matches so clearly it is still a problem. Coronation Street were right to cover it and they done a very good
    job

Yes a minority of morons carry out this behaviour :rolleyes: Morons that will never be reformed. What are the writers hoping to achieve here other than making themselves look holier than thou? Do they think that other white people will blow the whistle when they are witness to such events after watching coronation street?? Fair enough, but in equal measure, is the writers going to portray other races or minorities of these races, engaging in acts of savagery? They also used white people to portray a child sex trafficking ring a few years ago. Interesting really considering the perpetrators of the high profile cases across the UK were of Muslim origin

The racist chants at matches are again carried out by a group of fringe lunatics. Did every single English football supporter come to Landsdowne road in 1995 with the notion of wrecking the stadium? No, it was a minority of psychos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,118 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Christ you seem to have taken the anti-racism stuff dreadfully altogether. I dont think Ed's speech was targeting you specifically so dont get so offended or take it so personally?

Altough spouting "half-casted" I guess I can see how you got upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

He conveniently forgot about his own homophobia toward his own son though in the process :rolleyes:

He didn't forget that it all came together at the end of the episode. He knew he did wrong by his son and he's now going to stand tall beside him, pity it took the whole racism in the Bistro to make him come to his senses.I thought it was a powerful episode and thought at one stage the gang in the Bistro should have applauded him for sticking up for himself and making the Bistro owner feel so uncomfortable

• Advertisement

casio4 wrote: »
    He didn't forget that it all came together at the end of the episode. He knew he did wrong by his son and he's now going to stand tall beside him, pity it took the whole racism in the Bistro to make him come to his senses.I thought it was a powerful episode and thought at one stage the gang in the Bistro should have applauded him for sticking up for himself and making the Bistro owner feel so uncomfortable

I hoped that everyone in the bistro would have walked out after him

The way Dev was prominent in the foreground I was really suprised he didnt hop up and follow them out.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Christ you seem to have taken the anti-racism stuff dreadfully altogether. I dont think Ed's speech was targeting you specifically so dont get so offended or take it so personally?

Altough spouting "half-casted" I guess I can see how you got upset.

No problem with racism being highlighted, but every race is guilty of this toward another to a certain extent which will never be highlighted. Imagine the outrage if they had a young black character who was anti-white and with a chip on his shoulder? This episode is only pandering to the likes of Ebun Joseph

There is a total imbalance in the media. The child trafficking storyline was perpetrated by white people again in spite of the glaring statistics that in reality, these gangs are predominantly of Muslim origin. No outrage or upset just an opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

No problem with racism being highlighted, but every race is guilty of this toward another to a certain extent which will never be highlighted. Imagine the outrage if they had a young black character who was anti-white and with a chip on his shoulder? This episode is only pandering to the likes of Ebun Joseph

There is a total imbalance in the media. The child trafficking storyline was perpetrated by white people again in spite of the glaring statistics that in reality, these gangs are predominantly of Muslim origin. No outrage or upset just an opinion.

Oh god, please just stop. From someone who doesn’t see the irony in saying they’re making too big a deal of this racism malarkey, then uses the term “half casted” in the next sentence. You’re spouting utter drivel.

Shelga wrote: »
    Oh god, please just stop. From someone who doesn’t see the irony in saying they’re making too big a deal of this racism malarkey, then uses the term “half casted” in the next sentence. You’re spouting utter drivel.

Never said they were making too big a deal i just said there is an imbalance in addressing racism and supremacy in society. And i held my hand up for the use of the term half cast. I acknowledge it isnt the correct or appropriate term. Anyway ill leave it at that ive said my piece. Those who are clever enough will understand what im referring to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

And I was half hoping that pressure would have put on yer man to leave and then everyone else stays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,273 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I wasn't expecting Ray to pay Ed earlier on.
    I thought it was leading to him not paying them the full amount and a story development from that.

To thine own self be true

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Wow, just wow at some of the posts here.

I for one thought it was an excellent episode, especially when Dev spoke of the 'Ho Ho Ho/aren't we all having a good laugh' remarks he had to put up with too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Not a chance in hell this would happen in real life or its certainly not the norm. This is just another load of garbage used to undermine white people. The most racist people are the ones who are supposedly citing these predjudices. Of course the child grooming gang were conveniently white males too in spite of reality showing they were actually mostly Muslim gangs operating all over the North of England

Ya I am getting pretty sick of these racist stories now in the soaps. We have Keegan in Eastenders banging on about it day and night, now Corrie. Funny how when they did that grooming storyline with Bethany’s, it had to be white males and not Asian males that happened in real life in Rochdale.

spurious wrote: »

Its amusing how some just keep on digging. Also shows why episodes like that are still needed even in this day and age. It hit a lot of nerves.

Its amusing how some just keep on digging. Also shows why episodes like that are still needed even in this day and age. It hit a lot of nerves.

It has a hit a nerve because I for one would like to see an episode where a white person is on the receiving end of it.

I have been a victim of racism and just because I’m white I will not be told I didn’t experience it or it wasn’t racism. FACT.

spurious wrote: »

I for one thought it was an excellent episode, especially when Dev spoke of the 'Ho Ho Ho/aren't we all having a good laugh' remarks he had to put up with too.

Yeah it is, but racism works both ways. However, only one side of it will ever be portrayed not just in Corrie but in today's society in general. Everyone seems to be a do gooder with an agenda.

Anyways, i dont think we'll settle this today if ever. Back to Corrie....oh wait nothing happening and nothing to report.

Wow the stench of sheer arrogance off this post. Mr Holier than thou himself :rolleyes: The only people triggered is the likes of you who seem to only want one viewpoint on the subject.

Wow the stench of sheer arrogance off this post. Mr Holier than thou himself :rolleyes: The only people triggered is the likes of you who seem to only want one viewpoint on the subject.

No I thought it was a well done scene. But I did acknowledge how it could upset you. Like it upset that Bistro manager.

You immediately started the day whinging about the lack of muslim grooming gangs on your television and calling people "half casted".

Keep digging away if it makes you happy.

No I thought it was a well done scene. But I did acknowledge how it could upset you. Like it upset that Bistro manager.

You immediately started the day whinging about the lack of muslim grooming gangs on your television and calling people "half casted".

Keep digging away if it makes you happy.

I gave an honest opinion on it and ill stick to it if its ok with you. Im bored of all these one-sided lectures from tv programs. ive explained this time and time again but you obviously lack any ability to critically evaluate anything and you just do what the tv tells you to do obviously :rolleyes:

ive apologised for my use of the term half-cast and yes it was completely out of order. it wasnt intended to be offensive, i genuinely forgot a better term is mixed race. Of course, even this acknowledgement wont be enough for the likes of you though :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

What's up tipp_Gunner? Did your newsagent run out of copies of the Mail and the Sun yesterday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,462 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Will Ray sack Don?

Shakyfan wrote: »
    What's up tipp_Gunner? Did your newsagent run out of copies of the Mail and the Sun yesterday?

Both are available online so your comment is pretty redundant.

fin12 wrote: »
    Both are available online so your comment is pretty redundant.

**** me! Someone got out of bed on the wrong side....

fin12 wrote: »
    Ya I am getting pretty sick of these racist stories now in the soaps. We have Keegan in Eastenders banging on about it day and night, now Corrie. Funny how when they did that grooming storyline with Bethany’s, it had to be white males and not Asian males that happened in real life in Rochdale.

Ah! That explains it. You're another of them.

Ah! That explains it. You're another of them.

I’m another one of what?

I’m just aware that racism happens in every race and constantly doing storylines where it’s always the white character as the racist is not accurate.

It seems to me every other race can be offended by how they are portrayed except if ur white.

Constantly stereotypes of how Irish are portrayed in Uk soaps as-well but ya we just have to put up with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just wait til those bloody women start thinking they should get equal treatment.

A n d ... back on topic Looks like Edison doubled the floor space in the bistro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

As is typical in Coronation Street, the character was a caricature of a racist. Most real racists don't behave like pantomime villains - they're more likely to casually use terms like 'half-caste' (and then pretend it was an accident), whinge about perceived anti-white racism (the worst kind!), whinge that the perpetrators in a story about child grooming weren't 'of Muslim origin' (i.e. didn't have brown skin).

As is typical in Coronation Street, the character was a caricature of a racist. Most real racists don't behave like pantomime villains - they're more likely to casually use terms like 'half-caste' (and then pretend it was an accident), whinge about perceived anti-white racism (the worst kind!), whinge that the perpetrators in a story about child grooming weren't 'of Muslim origin' (i.e. didn't have brown skin).

Ah the Cavalry of stunning and brave have arrived i see :rolleyes: To be as immaculate as you lot....one can only hope

Same aul arguments thrown against me over and over again :rolleyes: How do ye maintain such perfection in your lives????? So tolerant

• Advertisement

Quick as a flash....what a moment of inspiration :rolleyes: What literature should I engross myself in so as so i can set my self on the path to enlightenment and fulfillment like yourself???

Advertisement